Breakout Player for 2020?

The defending Big XII Champions
ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Breakout Player for 2020?

Post by ksustars754 » February 14th, 2020, 8:50 am

To take my mind off of the sadness of the other board, I’m going to try to stir up some conversation about the 2020 KState football team. I realize it’s only February but I need something haha.

Who is your breakout player for this year? Every year there is a player or two who jumps on the scene and it’s fun to think about who that could be. Some candidates are: Khalid Duke, any OL (but hard to breakout as OL), any newcomer (Hentz potentiality?), any TE, Tyrone Lewis, any RB.

I’m going with Sammy Wheeler. We saw a couple flashes of what he could be but his injury ended that excitement. I have always had an affinity for TEs and was always so disappointed in our lack of use in the recent years. Wheeler has good size, good speed, and fits the new wave of TEs. He’s obviously got room to improve as an in-line blocker because in order to be a real problem, he can’t come in for only passing plays. I believe in this offense, he can shine but I really don’t know how long he’s out for. My assumption for this breakout season rests on the fact that he’ll be back for summer so he can work with Skylar Thompson. If he misses summer and camp then obviously it’ll be tough to see the field let alone breakout.

I’ll go with 28 catches for 380 yards and 3 tds.

kstater2000

Post by kstater2000 » February 14th, 2020, 9:12 am

Jonathan Alexander: We witnessed some great things from him early in the season. IMHO, he will be a solid and consistent player. Also, I am amazed at where he came from, Trimble Tech High School in Fort Worth. It's south of downtown in a rough area, and that school is known for their horrible athletics. When I coached football at another Fort Worth high school, Tremble Tech was always 1 of our 3 wins for the season.
"That's what I do. I drink, and I know things."
- Tyrion Lannister 'GOT'

BornWildcat

Pick 'Em

Post by BornWildcat » February 14th, 2020, 10:30 am

Jacardia Wright. We need to replace some RBs and he showed signs of potential in his limited time last year.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 14th, 2020, 10:33 am

Jacardia and Sammy would be my top two followed by Beebe on the OL.
Last edited by wild@nite on February 14th, 2020, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » February 14th, 2020, 10:57 am

Chabastain Taylor and Jacardia Wright are my top two picks. I would say JYB, but he's kind of an already known breakout player. Maybe say that he becomes a breakout player at WR, not just ST. He will start reminding folks of Tyler Lockett. I know, that's high praise. I stand by it.
EMAW

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » February 14th, 2020, 11:04 am

BornWildcat wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 10:30 am
Jacardia Wright. We need to replace some RBs and he showed signs of potential in his limited time last year.
Maybe. Wright and Ervin(lesser) probably get the most hype going into season. And you know Trotter will be a factor. However, I think Tyler Burns has the potential to be a breakout player at RB. Senior, good size, runs very hard, good vision. I was calling for him more last year..

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 14th, 2020, 11:18 am

With Gilbert and Brown gone, there is going to need to be a RB that steps up. I'm not sure Trotter can be the lead back. So like others, I'm going with Wright, if he can stay healthy. For a darkhorse candidate, I'm throwing Tyler Burns out there as a name (damn, was typing this as the same time as KsJoey, great minds right?). The team needs some upperclassmen leadership at RB. Burns could join Trotter as that elder statesmen.

Leading WR Schoen is gone. I know we know of him, but because of injuries, Knowles hasn't become a big name yet. This is the year he breaks out on the scene and gets recognition. 750+ yards and 7 TDs to lead the team. Someone will also benefit from Knowles getting extra coverage from opposing D, so I'm going with the hybrid TE/WR in Wheeler. In this offense, that role is key, and Wheeler looked like he was coming on until injury.

Another player that had last year derailed by injury on the defense is Justin Hughes. He may have fallen off the radar for other teams as a result, but he was going to be the #1 LB before his injury. In 2018, he finished 3rd in tackles while only starting in 7 games. He leads the team in tackles in 2020.

There is also a need to fill in the open DE spot. While Bronson Massie seems like the obvious choice, keep an eye out for Khalid Duke. He may not start, but because of the pass happy Big 12, he is going to get rotated in on passing downs and is going to get some sacks.
Last edited by AJcat7755 on February 14th, 2020, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 14th, 2020, 11:19 am

I hope there's numerous players that break out next year, not just one.

If I had to pick a hopeful, it would be our senior QB.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 14th, 2020, 11:47 am

wright ran like a train v. isu. he's my pick. when he took that one to the right side in the 4th quarter v. ames, he was running right to my eye line and i swear he was the incarnation of the wabash cannonball smokin' round the bend. i wouldn't want to have been cy's corner trying to deal with that.

josh rivas will be all-conference o'line the way things looked last year with him making all-b12 teams as a part-time starter.

wayne jones will be a stud a safety. and a.j. parker will be all-b12 at corner. but neither would be considered 'break out' players, i suppose.

most interesting slots for me will be d'tackles and o'line beside rivas. maybe pola-moa on d and beebe for the offense.

Why is there something rather than nothing?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » February 14th, 2020, 5:53 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 11:47 am

most interesting slots for me will be d'tackles and o'line beside rivas. maybe pola-moa on d and beebe for the offense.

You read my mind. This was my thinking, too - even to the exact players you mentioned (scary). :)
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln