byron pringle

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
wild@nite
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 468 times

Pick 'Em

Re: byron pringle

Post by wild@nite » February 4th, 2020, 9:48 am

Ditch Watkins for sure. Pringle can absolutely fill his role and be more of a "team" guy. On top of that, I hope we draft an impact defensive player in the 1st round and pick up the other in FA. There is the potential to start a mini dynasty. Get rid of "me" guys and bolster that defense.

JOKKO
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by JOKKO » February 4th, 2020, 10:08 am

I don't get all the venom toward Watkins...I thought he was the ultimate team guy this year. Despite his big contract, he never whined. He even admitted that he was the 3rd option on the team behind Kelce and Hill.

As far as the contract talk during the week...he was answering a question from a reporter. Those guys are asked tons of questions during Super Bowl week. He even said he would consider taking a pay cut to stay.

As much as I thought Watkins handled his role like a champ, he will not be back on his current contract. It will be interesting to see what the Chiefs do with him and all the contracts to clear up space.

Getting back on track here---Pringle will be on the team next year for sure. He is cheap & he turned himself into a great special teams player which is what he will need to do to stick with a team. Did a great job covering kicks all year and he & Sherman helped to seal the SB springing Williams.

AJcat7755
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 229 times

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 4th, 2020, 10:24 am

ksu2012 wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 8:09 am
I am not a cap expert, but I had read somewhere that even though Sammy is making $14 million, cutting him would still be a $7 million cap hit. It still should happen, but the money saved is not as dramatic. There are probably other cap hits with the other players as well.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city ... ins-14413/

If you click on the Dead Cap:

Pre-6/1 Release
2020 Dead Cap: $7,000,000
2020 Cap Savings: $14,000,000

It's not 7 million to release or 14 million to stay. If he stays, it will hit the cap at $21 million. If he is gone, it will only hit the cap at $7 million. And that is if he even plays. As he himself has even mentioned, and has been done by many players, most won't play on their final year of their contract. So unless the Chiefs were to extend him, if they tried to keep him and he sat out, that is $21 million cap hit for a player that is sitting out.

Further more, as it stands now, Watkins is the #1 biggest cap hit on the team at WR, and #2 on the team overall. People hate on Watkins because for that money, for him to only show up in the 1st game, and in the playoffs, is not a very good ROI.

KSUbetcha
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by KSUbetcha » February 4th, 2020, 6:04 pm

ksuatheart wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 7:11 am
Cutting Watkins will create 14 million in free cap space, money the Chiefs will probably need to sign Jones to an extension. The other players Chiefs can cut to make room would be Fisher for 6.3m, Kelce for 7.3m, Duvernay-Tardif for 5m, Okafor for 3.2m, Duvernay-Tardif for 5m, Wilson for 4.5m, Sorenson for 3.7m, Ervings for 3.2m, Reiter for 3.4m, Williams for 2.3m, and Colquitt for 2m.

Gutting the team by cutting all of those guys would create 54 million in cap space. Several of them will probably be gone, I'm just not sure who, but Watkins would be the easy choice. It's also possible they may renegotiate several guys to create room but shift some of the money into the future. It looks like they currently have at least 60 million available next year, and most of that will be needed for Mahomes.

Yeah... cut the whole team and start from scratch. That'll create a ton of cap space... S/ They'll keep the core of the team.

Unless you draft or sign a decent left tackle... you've gotta have a protector for Mahomes. Kelsey just signed a deal a couple of years ago so he's locked up for the time being.

ToledoCat#2
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 221 times

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 4th, 2020, 6:07 pm

Someone speculated $200 million contract for Mahomes. I want the kid back, but such a sum is surely so high even the Hunts won't pay.

KSUbetcha
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by KSUbetcha » February 4th, 2020, 6:47 pm

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 6:07 pm
Someone speculated $200 million contract for Mahomes. I want the kid back, but such a sum is surely so high even the Hunts won't pay.
Agreed. Brady always took way less than the top QBs in the league so the team could afford to build SB teams. If you go all out on the QB, you end up like the Detroit Lions with Matt Stafford. Good QB... terrible team.

KITNooga
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 263 times

Post by KITNooga » February 4th, 2020, 7:29 pm

KSUbetcha wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 6:47 pm
ToledoCat#2 wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 6:07 pm
Agreed. Brady always took way less than the top QBs in the league so the team could afford to build SB teams. If you go all out on the QB, you end up like the Detroit Lions with Matt Stafford. Good QB... terrible team.
yes.

the other piece to this. I think the league has, in the works, potential change to salary cap structure - whereby the QB will not be a part of it.
which could be a game-changer. benefit goes then to large markets versus small markets.

JOKKO
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by JOKKO » February 4th, 2020, 9:45 pm

Brady also has a wife that makes more than him and everybody else in the league.

epicsnyder
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by epicsnyder » February 4th, 2020, 10:44 pm

JOKKO wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 9:45 pm
Brady also has a wife that makes more than him and everybody else in the league.
Brady doesn't need, and has never needed, his wife's money. He was swimming in cash, and was SMART enough to realize that if he deferred or took less, they could get the pieces needed to win super bowls. Most guys (ala Kobe Bryant) would rather rake in as much cash as possible regardless of the team outcome on the playing surface. And yes, whether it is "too soon" or not, Kobe is one of THE best examples of 'gonna get mine mentality that causes the franchise to suffer.

AJcat7755
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 229 times

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 4th, 2020, 10:57 pm

Endorsements. Mahomes can easily supplement his salary with endorsements. And the more $$ he allows the team to sign better players around him, the more the team wins, the more endorsements he can sign.