The defending Big XII Champions
WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

College Football Broken

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 17th, 2020, 7:42 pm

interesting opinion piece:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnba9I

"But for argument’s sake, let’s stop at Georgia and call the top programs in college football the Big Six. Those are the schools that have a legitimate shot at winning a title.

That’s it.

Six."

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » January 17th, 2020, 10:37 pm

Kind of a disappointing article, unless I missed something. He states the obvious, but doesn't get too deep into the "Why?" and doesn't offer any solutions.

I do agree with the article, though. College football is my favorite sport, but March Madness is heads-and-shoulders above the CFP, IMO. Personally, I think the best thing college football can do right now is expand the playoffs to eight or (even better) sixteen teams, using the current bowls, like we do for the CFP. More bowls become relevant and more teams have the opportunity to win it all, drawing more national interest. To be honest, back on Monday night, I forgot the national championship game was even on. I was reading a news site and it had an article about the game and I was like, "Oh yeah. The CFP championship is tonight." I still didn't care all that much.

Also, with an expanded playoff, teams like LSU, Alabama and Clemson can't hoard all of the best talent. If every other level of football from the NFL to high school can have a playoff, so can the FBS.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » January 17th, 2020, 11:07 pm

Unfortunately much of what’s destroyed football is trickling into bball and ruining the tourney too. Greed, simple greed.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » January 17th, 2020, 11:57 pm

I once had the opportunity to see what happens 'behind the scenes' as I was close to the process during when Omaha and the NCAA were negotiating the CWS and the new stadium.

my respect for the NCAA did not grow through that experience. quite the opposite.
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 18th, 2020, 10:34 am

cfp limits itself to 4 teams so the big conferences and notre dame don't have to share that money and/or espn tells them how it is to be structured for maximum tv bang. there's no other rationale for keeping it at four. power 5 directors must have conversations with the rest of the members telling that if they change the current setup the power 5 will leave and the others will wither away. the board is split 6 members for the power 5, and 5 for the others, so nothing's going to happen because these academics are all about one thing - money.

Rodney Bennett – President, Southern Mississippi (C-USA)
Anthony Frank – President, Colorado State (Mountain West)
Burns Hargis – President, Oklahoma State (Big 12)
Jack Hawkins – Chancellor, Troy (Sun Belt)
Rev. John I. Jenkins – President, Notre Dame (Independent)
Mark Keenum – President, Mississippi State (SEC)
Roderick McDavis – President, Ohio (MAC)
Max Nikias – President, USC (Pac-12)
Harvey Perlman (chair) – Chancellor, Nebraska (Big Ten)
Donna Shalala – President, Miami (Fla.) (ACC)
Steadman Upham – President, Tulsa (The American)
Why is there something rather than nothing?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » January 18th, 2020, 12:04 pm

tmcats wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:34 am
cfp limits itself to 4 teams so the big conferences and notre dame don't have to share that money and/or espn tells them how it is to be structured for maximum tv bang. there's no other rationale for keeping it at four.

Yep. And out of their greed, they will end up killing the goose that laid the golden eggs.

I feel especially bad for high level G5 schools like Houston and UCF. Even going undefeated, they will still not sniff an opportunity to play for the national championship so long as the P5 conferences can put their undefeated or 1-loss champs in the four-team playoff. Heck, even P5 schools (see TCU in 2014) get screwed over in attempt to put the blue-blood schools (Ohio State, in this case) in the CFP for ratings (i.e., $$$).
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 18th, 2020, 12:33 pm

Honestly, this isn't new news. It's been broken for a long, long time. They use to use voting to determine a national champ. Joke! Then a computer formula. Joke! Now a 4 team playoff to make it appear that everyone has a shot. Joke! And honestly has broken it even more. It's been a farce forever guys. Imo, the greatest game (better than the NFL imo) in this country, but is the worst ran and it's so damn fun, we keep supporting it.

Until it's a true playoff where all conference P5 champs are in and 11 at large, it's a joke. That means 16, not 8. 8 would just be your P5 champs and 3 at large, which would be filled with the Georgia's and Bama's of this year and still exclude G5 champs.

KState could very well be looking at a 10-2 type of season in the next 3 years and would be in with a 16 team playoff, ya know, like the FCS, but with the joke that the FBS is, we could go one better, 11-1 and lose the title game to finish 11-2 and wouldn't even get in with an 8 team playoff.because a 10-2 SEC team would certainly get chosen over us, even if they didn't play the toughest teams in their conference.

The only way, imo, to fix it so the rich quit hoarding the elite talent, is to go to 16. The NCAA is laughing because they know that if they expand to 8, it'll look like they're trying, but they know that isn't going to change a damn thing. It'll still be a Clemson, OSU, and SEC show.

The president's from the Big 12, Pac 12, and everywhere else need to get off their asses and start being more aggressive and unified in going to an FCS model. It may not change who wins it, but it'll improve the interest level across the country and make for a helluva December.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » January 18th, 2020, 3:29 pm

one conference - one champion. can't win your conference? stay home.

no wild-cards.

seems so very very simple.
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 18th, 2020, 4:23 pm

KITNooga wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 3:29 pm

no wild-cards.

But it's not. Not when we have to play everybody and some teams win their conferences and don't play everybody. We could go 12-0 and lose our championship game to be 12-1 and get left out for a hypothetical Big 10 champ, who might finish 11-2 and didn't even play the toughest teams in their conference. How is that right? Not only that, Clemson has no test at all in their conference. Nobody but them was inside the top 20. You think they get through the SEC or Big 10 undefeated? I don't.

16 team playoff is the only fair and honest way of giving all teams from all conferences a chance. The P5 champs and 11 at larges that can include a couple of G5 champs. That would be a true "playoff" that would spread the talent wealth.

Opensource
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Opensource » January 18th, 2020, 4:36 pm

wild@nite wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 4:23 pm
KITNooga wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 3:29 pm

no wild-cards.

But it's not. Not when we have to play everybody and some teams win their conferences and don't play everybody. We could go 12-0 and lose our championship game to be 12-1 and get left out for a hypothetical Big 10 champ, who might finish 11-2 and didn't even play the toughest teams in their conference. How is that right? Not only that, Clemson has no test at all in their conference. Nobody but them was inside the top 20. You think they get through the SEC or Big 10 undefeated? I don't.

16 team playoff is the only fair and honest way of giving all teams from all conferences a chance. The P5 champs and 11 at larges that can include a couple of G5 champs. That would be a true "playoff" that would spread the talent wealth.
This is capitalism. Fair is making defined by making money. ESPN was the large market population teams to win and enough other teams to create the illusion of a competitive league,