College Football Broken

The defending Big XII Champions
Hypeman

Re: College Football Broken

Post by Hypeman » January 28th, 2020, 7:19 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 5:51 pm
They really would have to come out of the gate roaring to keep it at the top of the G5 level. I would think initially, KSU would be very competitive in the G5 levels given the infrastructure, history and recruiting comparative to what is in the G5 now. But as mentioned, as money starts to dry up from TV packages, attendance, merchandise, etc. coaches will leave for P5 schools, facilities will not be as advanced. Fans will be less interested in seeing G5 teams then OU or UT so there will be less attendance and less $$. Less TV coverage means lower visibility and lower recruiting. Eventually, it would even out and KSU would still be competitive, but not hold as many advantages as they would initially. School attendance would drop, and that means less $$ to academics, less programs, less grants, etc. It's just not a great situation to be in. It would be one thing if KSU was in a more densely populated state , or one with no other with no P5 near, or could rely on hoops (UConn), or a school with a religious tie in (BYU). But being in KS, and if KU were to remain P5, it would be a big blow.

I don't think KSU would get dropped to the FCS level though. So at the very least, they would still have multiple OOC games to play P5 schools as needed as well as a shot in bowl games. KSU wouldn't drop to DII, like Pitt or Emporia State either. But it could be like Colorado and CSU, Utah and Utah State, Arkansas and Arkansas State.
Frankly, it’s important for KSU to tie itself to KU as much as possible. I suspect KU will stay in with the big dogs because they do have a very good academic reputation, and they have the med school, law school, better business school, equal or better engineering school, bigger enrollment, endowment, and most of all, they are close to the urban population and in a great location. Our politicians have the responsibility to keep us connected.

Any move down would have a short term pain because of the huge expenses we are now saddled with, but I don’t think it makes a big difference in the long-term.

Opensource
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Opensource » January 30th, 2020, 7:45 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 7:06 am
I'm not too worried about K-State being kicked out of the P5 ranks. Even if the Big 12 were to dissolve at the end of the current contract in 2025, I think most of the schools (including K-State) would get picked up by one of the other conferences. It might even lead to the 4x16 super conference set up that has been discussed from time to time.

K-State athletics has put hundreds of millions of dollars into its facilities over the past decade or so and we are competitive nationally in the two biggest money-making sports. On the academic side, were are a Tier I research institution. And once the NBAF goes online in a couple years, the amount of $$$ spent on agricultural and disease research will add greatly to what is already being spent annually on research. Other firms doing related research could also locate in or around Manhattan.

So, thanks to good leadership on both sides (athletics and academics), I think we are pretty well-positioned should major changes take place in the future. If K-State gets left out in the next round realignment, a lot of other peer schools of ours will be left out as well. The 30 or so "elite" schools that are left would essentially form an "NFL Lite" league which would not compete well with the actual NFL and college football fans not from those schools would likely tune out as well, which is why I don't think this will happen. JMO.
University of Cincinnati is a top 25 research university in a major market and isn't in P5. Why are we more attractive than Colorado State for P5? I could go on. Don't want to be negative. But, NBAF isn't K-State and I and others would be buying property in Manhattan if I thought NBAF would be impacting the local economy. It isn't happening. We have been fortunate and I hope we have some sophisticated leadership to keep us in the P5.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » January 30th, 2020, 9:01 pm

Opensource wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 7:45 pm
stlcatfan wrote:
I'm not too worried about K-State being kicked out of the P5 ranks. Even if the Big 12 were to dissolve at the end of the current contract in 2025, I think most of the schools (including K-State) would get picked up by one of the other conferences. It might even lead to the 4x16 super conference set up that has been discussed from time to time.

K-State athletics has put hundreds of millions of dollars into its facilities over the past decade or so and we are competitive nationally in the two biggest money-making sports. On the academic side, were are a Tier I research institution. And once the NBAF goes online in a couple years, the amount of $$$ spent on agricultural and disease research will add greatly to what is already being spent annually on research. Other firms doing related research could also locate in or around Manhattan.

So, thanks to good leadership on both sides (athletics and academics), I think we are pretty well-positioned should major changes take place in the future. If K-State gets left out in the next round realignment, a lot of other peer schools of ours will be left out as well. The 30 or so "elite" schools that are left would essentially form an "NFL Lite" league which would not compete well with the actual NFL and college football fans not from those schools would likely tune out as well, which is why I don't think this will happen. JMO.
University of Cincinnati is a top 25 research university in a major market and isn't in P5. Why are we more attractive than Colorado State for P5? I could go on. Don't want to be negative. But, NBAF isn't K-State and I and others would be buying property in Manhattan if I thought NBAF would be impacting the local economy. It isn't happening. We have been fortunate and I hope we have some sophisticated leadership to keep us in the P5.
You are exactly right. Or Tulane or Rice or on and on ... There is a large number of higher profile Universities without football teams in the P5 and bigger media markets. Precisely why keeping close to KU is our meal ticket. Like it or not.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » January 30th, 2020, 9:58 pm

Opensource wrote:
stlcatfan wrote:

K-State, unlike UC, Tulane, and Rice, is already in a P5 league. We also have much better athletic facilities than those schools.

I don't think the Big 12 is going anywhere, but even if it did, I think most of the schools would get picked up by other conferences. For instance, the Pac 12 would could easily pick up four schools, the Big Ten and SEC could each add two more. It gets each conference up to 16, which works much better for scheduling than 14. The Pac 12 is also able to get schools in the Central Time Zone. I think the only schools that would have trouble getting picked up would be Baylor and TCU due to being small, private schools. And again, this is worst-case scenario.

https://www.k-state.edu/nbaf/

https://www.k-state.edu/media/newsrelea ... 13017.html
Last edited by stlcatfan on February 1st, 2020, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 31st, 2020, 11:33 am

Opensource wrote:
stlcatfan wrote:

you make some odd arguments but your nbaf take is amongst the strangest. mhk real estate is very expensive already. nbaf doesn't open for a couple years. i can't imagine what it will be like then. i do agree that k-state enrollment is problematic presently.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Opensource

Post by Opensource » January 31st, 2020, 5:56 pm

tmcats wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 11:33 am
Opensource wrote:

you make some odd arguments but your nbaf take is amongst the strangest. mhk real estate is very expensive already. nbaf doesn't open for a couple years. i can't imagine what it will be like then. i do agree that k-state enrollment is problematic presently.
Would be interested on your take as to why NBAF should bring industry to Manhattan. Why is being located next to the lab matter to some business? The number of NBAF employees will likely not compensate for the decrease in K-State's enrollment and decrease (from pre Brownback) in state-tax dollar support.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 31st, 2020, 6:26 pm

nbaf is projected to bring $450 million to the local economy and 5000 jobs within 15 years. it will be a huge boost to the local economy. many fought the effort. many said it could not be done. well, now it's near completion.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » January 31st, 2020, 8:45 pm

tmcats wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 6:26 pm
nbaf is projected to bring $450 million to the local economy and 5000 jobs within 15 years. it will be a huge boost to the local economy. many fought the effort. many said it could not be done. well, now it's near completion.
I was talking with someone a year or two ago about Manhattan and one of the things they mentioned was that there were a LOT of very expensive homes going up in Manhattan and the surrounding area. According to this person, a big reason for all of the new expensive homes being built was in anticipation of the influx of lots of highly skilled scientists and other employees at the NBAF, once it begins operation.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

Opensource

Post by Opensource » February 1st, 2020, 1:58 pm

tmcats wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 6:26 pm
Well, that was the marketing effort. But, you didn't answer the question.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » February 1st, 2020, 4:04 pm

I don’t purport to know what nbaf will bring to the economy. However, some things are certain imo

> there will be any number of world class phd’s employed at the facility
> those scientists will employ researchers, accountants, assistants, etc.
> scientists, government officials, etc. from around the world will fly into mhk to participate in conferences, research, etc.
> given the facility’s size and design, it is highly likely that its mission will expand to include research in both related and non-related areas
> KState will take advantage of the situation and attract more post-graduate candidates in agriculture, engineering and other technical fields.
> the health and security of the world’s food supply will become ever more important as the population grows