Deficiency at OC

The defending Big XII Champions
ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Deficiency at OC

Post by ksustars754 » January 1st, 2020, 12:34 am

I’ve seen enough. I know you’ve seen enough. This is not the guy who can win us a Big 12 championship. And people will laugh and say KState can’t win the league but that should be the goal. Sell me on Messingham? What do pro-Mess people hang their hats on? A run game? Meh. A Pass game? Lmao.

Edit: Inebriated, yes.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » January 1st, 2020, 2:51 am

Not much to sell on to be honest. Good luck with that.
EMAW

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » January 1st, 2020, 4:24 am

Our Offense is a Hot Mess... pun intended. Needs some work in the off-season for sure.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » January 1st, 2020, 4:38 am

As soon as I saw he had been on the Rhoads staff at ISU that let KSU steal a bunch of games I got nervous. The gameplan today with a plethora of time to prepare was abysmal. Navy on the other hand drew up some imaginative trick plays and a solid gameplan that evolved as they figured out what was working and what wasn't.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

powercat95

Post by powercat95 » January 1st, 2020, 10:19 am

They had a month since our last regular season game. I’d like to know what things the offense did during that month. Apparently developing an offensive game plan was NOT one of them.

Opensource
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Opensource » January 1st, 2020, 10:28 am

Why were we able to score a touchdown on the last drive? Skyler did his job. It wasn’t the game plan.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » January 1st, 2020, 12:19 pm

Opensource wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 10:28 am
Why were we able to score a touchdown on the last drive? Skyler did his job. It wasn’t the game plan.
Timeout. The passing game was there for the taking all day and even though it was obvious to most watching the game, 90% of the called plays were still running plays between the tackles. We had more speed to the edge than Navy, and to be fair we had a size advantage in the trenches that was mind boggling we couldn't exploit. Regardless of all that, we sure seemed to try and pound the ball for 2 yards and a cloud of dust. We easily scored a TD on that last drive because we finally dropped our offensive game plan of running the ball straight at them when they were hell bent on stopping the run, and we decided to take what they were giving us. Then we had success going 80 yards on 6 plays for a TD. We had WRs running open all day behind the CBs. Did people not see how open Brooks was on the dropped pass on the first drive? He had 7 yards of separation. Knowles was open on every play. Quite simply, it was a terrible offensive game plan and we were too stubborn to abandon it for something different. When we were forced to do so, we had success. Should we be surprised? No.

People know we want to run the ball first, people know we want to run the ball 2/3 of the time. We need to have a "balanced" offense that is about 50/50 pass/run, not 2/3 1/3 run to pass. Then during a game, if we find something that really works, stick with it until they stop it.
EMAW

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » January 1st, 2020, 12:25 pm

Folks we ran 41 offensive plays in that game. 41 offensive snaps. Our average yard per touch running the ball 1.7 yards. Our average tards per catch - 8.9

I know we lost an offensive possession with the punt return for TD. But even if we don't get that, does anyone expect we would have done anything different offensively at that point other than trying to run into a brick wall?

Not rocket science. Navy was dead set on stopping the run. We just had a crappy offensive game plan and we stuck with it until it was too late.

Skylar had the one bad alligator arm pass to Brown that would have been a good gainer and Brooks had the bad drop at the beginning. Other than that, our game plan sucked.
EMAW

prplkat

Post by prplkat » January 1st, 2020, 1:26 pm

I'm not disagreeing with any of the questioning of the OC, but there is another aspect here that no one is apparently willing to bring up. That is, at what point in our erratic QB play is it going to be fair to start questioning our QB coach?

I loved Klein as a player, but I have seen nothing so far that shows me he knows what he is doing as a QB coach. Last year both our QBs regressed from the year before. This year, Thompson started out looking better, then seemed to regress back to the "good one week clueless the next". Some posters on here whose opinion I respect have said Klein will be a great HC someday. I hope that is true, but why hasn't he shown more as a QB coach? Am I being unfair to him?

At this point Thompson is what he is. I expect to see the same level of inconsistency next year. I really hope Will Howard gets an honest chance to compete with Skylar.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 1st, 2020, 1:55 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 12:19 pm
Opensource wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 10:28 am
Timeout. The passing game was there for the taking all day and even though it was obvious to most watching the game, 90% of the called plays were still running plays between the tackles. We had more speed to the edge than Navy, and to be fair we had a size advantage in the trenches that was mind boggling we couldn't exploit. Regardless of all that, we sure seemed to try and pound the ball for 2 yards and a cloud of dust. We easily scored a TD on that last drive because we finally dropped our offensive game plan of running the ball straight at them when they were hell bent on stopping the run, and we decided to take what they were giving us. Then we had success going 80 yards on 6 plays for a TD. We had WRs running open all day behind the CBs. Did people not see how open Brooks was on the dropped pass on the first drive? He had 7 yards of separation. Knowles was open on every play. Quite simply, it was a terrible offensive game plan and we were too stubborn to abandon it for something different. When we were forced to do so, we had success. Should we be surprised? No.

People know we want to run the ball first, people know we want to run the ball 2/3 of the time. We need to have a "balanced" offense that is about 50/50 pass/run, not 2/3 1/3 run to pass. Then during a game, if we find something that really works, stick with it until they stop it.
Yep. You are dead on.