Navy

The defending Big XII Champions
stlcatfan

Navy

Post by stlcatfan » December 8th, 2019, 6:27 pm

Lets talk about Navy. It sounds like our biggest challenge will be to slow down their triple option offensive scheme. They average well over 300 yards per game on the ground. I'm glad we have a few weeks to prepare for them. Plus we get to watch them play next weekend against Army so that should help from a scouting perspective.

Our front seven will have to play really well. I'm sure coach will rotate in a lot of players on defense. I'm curious to see if Palo-Mao (sp?) gets some snaps. He is a big body. I'm glad we have a good D-coordinator and a defensive minded head coach to help the kids prepare for a good Navy team.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

wazucat

Post by wazucat » December 8th, 2019, 6:54 pm

I think we will be about a 3 point favorite based on Sagarin ratings.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » December 8th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Should be a fun match up. Will be interesting to see who can win the time of possession battle. Lol.

I like our chances for getting to 9 wins and finishing the year in the top 25.
EMAW

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » December 8th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 7:02 pm
Should be a fun match up. Will be interesting to see who can win the time of possession battle. Lol.

I like our chances for getting to 9 wins and finishing the year in the top 25.
I hope so. This game has me a little nervous. You're right, though. It should be a fun match-up.

MNwildcat

Post by MNwildcat » December 8th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Does this have a chance to be the shortest game played this century? Likely 85% total running plays and a battle for TOP.

Upnorth
Has thanked: 0

Post by Upnorth » December 8th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Scottie H is very well known for his masterful game prep with defending triple option in the past. For ex: when at NDSU, he shut down Jerrick McKinnon QB (in nfl with vikes and 49rs) at Georgia Southern. I believe with weeks of prep for bowl game, KSU staff will have the team ready to shut Navy offense down.
It's been a blast to watch KSU this season. I hope this game is icing on cake of great season.

bison42

Post by bison42 » December 8th, 2019, 11:58 pm

First time poster and long time NDSU fan . I have been on the K State band wagon since HCCK assumed the reigns. This team has been fun to watch this year. As a new fan of this team I am always amazed at the over expectations of this first year staff. I was extremely impressed with the win over OU. I was hoping for a plus 500% season for this team . I was impressed with the 8 and 4 season. HCCK has a lot of experience game planning for triple option teams. The FCS division has several quality triple option team. No matter what you think of the FCS , football is a scheme game and Klieman is a very good defensive coach. This team will be ready for Navy with its scheme .

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » December 9th, 2019, 12:11 am

We won't be out-athleted for certain in this game, in fact we should have the athletic advantage. What makes Navy so good is their discipline and attention to technique details while being disciplined. They control what they can control. Coaching going into this game is going to be extremely critical.

Again, this should be a very interesting match up. I expect it to be low scoring (both teams in the 20's). I would bet on KSU winning by 1-2 scores, something like 28-20.
EMAW

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » December 9th, 2019, 12:35 am

Upnorth wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 10:42 pm
Scottie H is very well known for his masterful game prep with defending triple option in the past. For ex: when at NDSU, he shut down Jerrick McKinnon QB (in nfl with vikes and 49rs) at Georgia Southern. I believe with weeks of prep for bowl game, KSU staff will have the team ready to shut Navy offense down.
It's been a blast to watch KSU this season. I hope this game is icing on cake of great season.
That's good to know. Our defense is built more for pass-oriented Big 12 offenses so I hope he can get our guys prepared to stop a very good triple option offense. The key will be everyone knowing their responsibilities (i.e., Who has the QB? pitch man? etc.), staying disciplined, and tackling well.

bison42

Post by bison42 » December 9th, 2019, 12:46 am

This should be a fun game. Love to see the matchup of our D line against their O line.