Colorado State

The defending Big XII Champions
mustang

Re: Colorado State

Post by mustang » December 5th, 2019, 11:36 am

wild@nite wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 7:10 am
:thumbsup: Ready or not, which likely not, it's a compliment to our program. How many of the past few years assistants were getting interest in decent HC jobs? That ought to tell you the quality of our past assistants in Snyder 2.0, which I already thought.

Hazelton will get looks very soon as well, if he isn't already.
Not to be argumentative, but the coaching staffs of the past do not appear to be a bunch of slouch's who can not coach. Knowing what I do of Coach Snyder he had guys on staff that worked pretty hard. Klein played for Snyder and worked as a Grad Assistant and Assistant Coach. Doing some research on the Snyder II staff, several have retired-Mo Latimore, Del Miller, Tom Hayes, and Jon Fabris. Michael Smith is at Kentucky, Andre Coleman at Texas, Vic koenig and Blake Seiler at West Virginia, Joe Bob Clements and Charlie Dickey at Oklahoma State, Zach Hanson at Oklahoma, Dana Dimel is the head coach at Texas El Paso, Eric Hickson is at Miami-Florida, Brian Norwood at Navy.

Jax

Pick 'Em

Post by Jax » December 5th, 2019, 11:40 am

bindweed wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 8:46 pm
They fired their football coach and Collin Klein is the number one choice to replace him.
No disrespect to Coach Klein and I hope he is offered the position if that is what he wants. But better him than Coach Scottie Hazelton who some predicted would be the next CSU coach.
We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 5th, 2019, 11:43 am

collin needs to be a coordinator before head coach. hell, sean snyder has more high-quality experiences than klien. if csu, i wouldn't talk to anyone other than jim leavitt. he'd right the ship and be there for a decade. he's 62.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » December 5th, 2019, 1:12 pm

mustang wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 11:36 am
wild@nite wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 7:10 am
:thumbsup: Ready or not, which likely not, it's a compliment to our program. How many of the past few years assistants were getting interest in decent HC jobs? That ought to tell you the quality of our past assistants in Snyder 2.0, which I already thought.

Hazelton will get looks very soon as well, if he isn't already.
Not to be argumentative, but the coaching staffs of the past do not appear to be a bunch of slouch's who can not coach. Knowing what I do of Coach Snyder he had guys on staff that worked pretty hard. Klein played for Snyder and worked as a Grad Assistant and Assistant Coach. Doing some research on the Snyder II staff, several have retired-Mo Latimore, Del Miller, Tom Hayes, and Jon Fabris. Michael Smith is at Kentucky, Andre Coleman at Texas, Vic koenig and Blake Seiler at West Virginia, Joe Bob Clements and Charlie Dickey at Oklahoma State, Zach Hanson at Oklahoma, Dana Dimel is the head coach at Texas El Paso, Eric Hickson is at Miami-Florida, Brian Norwood at Navy.
I think you missed the point. Which of those guys above was head coaching material outside of Dimel, maybe? I"d argue that too. There is a reason nobody was after them. Look at Snyder 1.0, if you have that knowledge of who was on "our" staff in the 90's. Most successful programs have guys that are sought after as HC's. We simply didn't. (head coach at UTEP. LOL....)

And by the way, if you didn't realize it, coaches get recycled in this business. Because they got picked up somewhere else doesn't make them great coaches. I'd take Seiler, Coleman, and Dickey back in a heartbeat. The rest? No thanks. We can do better. I can point to at least 3 of the above coaches that weren't very hard working. If you knew anyone in the Vanier complex that wasn't a coach, you likely know what I'm talking about. Afternoon naps, the lackadaisical approach to recruiting, etc....

Jax

Pick 'Em

Post by Jax » December 5th, 2019, 1:17 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 11:43 am
collin needs to be a coordinator before head coach. hell, sean snyder has more high-quality experiences than klien.
That's pretty much what the Coloradoan is reporting as well:
If history is any indication, expect the position to be filled by a highly respected offensive or defensive coordinator in a Power 5 conference program. That’s where the Rams found legendary coach Sonny Lubick, who guided CSU to six conference championships and nine bowl games in 15 seasons, as well as the three coaches who have followed him: Steve Fairchild, Jim McElwain and Bobo.
We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 5th, 2019, 1:33 pm

of the three phases special teams, offense, and defense, i'd say the defense has made the greatest strides this year.

special teams ck says are following the k-state model and doing well ranking first in kick return yardage and high in other categories for the most part. i think young stanton weber is handling that chore.

offense under coach messingham has changed some in how they approach the task: different sets, way more rotations, fewer passes, etc. while ranking number one in ball control.

but defense, under coach hazelton has really changed from bend-don't-break to the aggressive attack style of snyder 1.0. i continue to be impressed with how he's implemented a next-man-up system that does not seem to negatively impact results. that saturday performance versus isu was perhaps the year's best playing third, fourth, fifth corners and reserves at safety and nickle. for the year, it's the b12's second-ranked scoring defense and number one in 3rd down efficiency.

texas could come after hazelton. remember, he was ck's second choice?

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » December 5th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Hiring Collin would just be following a trend with the new hires. McVeigh (probably spelled wrong) was 30ish when he took over the LA Rams. Lincoln Riley is young. Idk if Klein is ready or not, but if a team like the Sooners can hand the ball over to a young guy, CSU could take the chance. There are several other examples recently, but I have zero desire to look any up to get the names right.

When you are CSU, you need to realize that you are always going to be a stepping stone program if you go that young. It is an excellent job for a 1st job to get though. Some good history in a conference that you should be able to win at fairly quick.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 5th, 2019, 2:12 pm

lincoln riley was bobby's o'coordinator. sean mcvay was the redskins' o'coordinator.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » December 5th, 2019, 2:25 pm

JOKKO wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 2:07 pm
Hiring Collin would just be following a trend with the new hires. McVeigh (probably spelled wrong) was 30ish when he took over the LA Rams. Lincoln Riley is young. Idk if Klein is ready or not, but if a team like the Sooners can hand the ball over to a young guy, CSU could take the chance. There are several other examples recently, but I have zero desire to look any up to get the names right.

When you are CSU, you need to realize that you are always going to be a stepping stone program if you go that young. It is an excellent job for a 1st job to get though. Some good history in a conference that you should be able to win at fairly quick.
There are (by a long shot) more new, young up and comer type coaches that have been hired in big time programs that failed miserably than there are that have been successful. Do I really need to start a list of them? We had our very own in RP. TTu has Kliffy. The list can go on and on. The list of young failures is much longer than the list of young successfuls.
EMAW

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » December 5th, 2019, 2:52 pm

If CSU wants Klien then that's fine. Let him get some experience. It won't hurt us too bad. I think the odds are very low that he'd make that huge of a jump and CSU taking that much risk. I would be more worried about a team grabbing Hazelton. He performed the best of any coordinator, by far(IMO).