KSU vs ISU

The defending Big XII Champions
xtrawildcat

Re: KSU vs ISU

Post by xtrawildcat » December 1st, 2019, 5:56 pm

ArKSU wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 2:15 am
As a 2nd generation coach, H.S. and College, who grew up around HOF coaches, it is just awesomely funny reading all these experts who wouldn't know a power play from a speed option.

Can't find my Duffy Daughtery book an the Winged T right now but every version of the RPO is covered in that book. Used to base my Veer, RPO, and Spread Option on. Even stole some Broken Bone and Speed Option from Duffy.
Thanks for your input.
One question about offensive line schemes. It seemed to me we went away from all the pulling we did in the first couple of Big 12 games and now are straight ahead zone blocking similar to what Dickie had these guys do. Also having more success. I would be interested in your thoughts on this.

iowa_wildcat

Post by iowa_wildcat » December 1st, 2019, 7:21 pm

The pulling many times will not work when defenses stunt their linemen and/or blitz their linebackers. Zone blocking allows offensive linemen to block whoever is in their assigned gap regardless who it is or where they came from.

Opensource
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Opensource » December 1st, 2019, 7:32 pm

Purdy isn't really competitive. That is their problem. Running for a critical 1st down he decides to slide about 3 yards from making it or so. That was the time to give up your body to win the game.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » December 1st, 2019, 9:14 pm

MajorAppleCat wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 2:11 am
Happy for the win. A must win to get a better bowl game.

Special teams were special.

No stupid penalties... must have worked on eliminating those since last week.

Offense played well under the circumstances, except for dropped passes.

Defense played very well... as usual. However, tackling remains a concern.

Could have easily been a blow-out.

Students decided not to show up for an important game (Kstate and KU really need to schedule their game following Thanksgiving.)
Good post. Sitting above the students I thought there was a decent turnout. I was surprised there were that many. I was surprised as many fans as possible stuck around as long as they did. The whorn game in 2012 was cold but it was a beautiful cold night, not played in a gale like last night. I missed the "Snow Angel" game.

ArKSU

Post by ArKSU » December 1st, 2019, 9:15 pm

xtrawildcat
One question about offensive line schemes. It seemed to me we went away from all the pulling we did in the first couple of Big 12 games and now are straight ahead zone blocking similar to what Dickie had these guys do. Also having more success. I would be interested in your thoughts on this.
To truly be successful with pulling interior linemen they have to be fast and LARGE.

HCCK had that luxury at NDSU, and might eventually have it again at KSU, but until his interior linemen are at least as fast as the defense he's facing and adds multiple TEs who can effectively fill the gaps left by the pulling linemen, zone blocking is much easier and sometimes more effective.

In the Veer, RPO, Wishbone, and Triple option that the Service Acadmies run, your OL only needs to engage the DL or LBs for one, possibly 2 seconds. Each play is designed for the back to hit the hole and then angle (Veer) away from the defensive flow. When you pull, however, the Dl or LBs have to be engaged by someone for 3-4 seconds which is much harder.

In the zone scheme, the rules for OL is nearly instantaneous: where is your man; head-up, inside, outside? based on the play.

Personally, I prefer the zone scheme because the deeper you get into the game the more the OL learns about the moves and stunts the DL is using a majority of the time and learning how to counter the DL moves is much eaiser. Also, halftime adjustments are easier to break down.

To be perfectly honest the only time my teams pulled was when we ran the 2 plays made famous by SoCal in the 50s and 60s and by Lombardi at Green Bay.

Student Body Right/Student Body Left.
A worried man with a worried mind
People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » December 1st, 2019, 9:32 pm

Wasn't ISU just pinching down most of the game? When we went wide it seemed like we were blocking really well. From what I saw our WR's for the most part blocked well. Trotter had a big block too on a TD I think.

farrout10

Post by farrout10 » December 1st, 2019, 10:01 pm

Trotter received accolades from CK in his press conference for his unselfish play and his willingness to do whatever benefitted the name on the front of the jersey!

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » December 2nd, 2019, 12:36 pm

tmcats wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 3:33 pm
aj, what's ku's all-time record from your source? i understand they will soon be the b12's losingest program.

as for farmageddon, shut down isu's run game, make them one-dimensional, and they're beatable. if they're balanced, they're a tough egg to crack. we need stellar play by the front seven to win this game. otherwise, we probably don't hang in a shootout.
Sorry, I missed this.

Updated after this weekend:
Iowa State: 539-654-46
Kansas State: 539-650-42
Kansas: 588-649-58

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » December 2nd, 2019, 2:09 pm

I'll be a little bit of a contrarian. I thought the o-line played well but had a chance to be great. It seemed as though the backs were running harder and Wright was a big factor. Maybe my eyes were frozen over though.

ArKSU

Post by ArKSU » December 2nd, 2019, 2:57 pm

hilltopwildcat
Maybe my eyes were frozen over though.
Were you actually at the game? If so, I envy you.

If its too cold or too hot, my Cardiologist "Just says 'NO.' " And unfortunately my Sweet Heart of 42 years agrees with her and enforces her orders.
A worried man with a worried mind
People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed