Any chances of recruiting flips?

The defending Big XII Champions
purogato
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Any chances of recruiting flips?

Post by purogato » November 25th, 2019, 3:38 pm

I always hate seeing Kansas kids run off to out-of-state schools. I think I counted about 10 Kansans who went to out-of-state Big 12 schools this past year.

I'm looking at 247 sports rankings for 2020 and see we're doing ok, but there are some top notch kids leaving once again (at least not to Big 12, thank goodness).

Any chance of flipping any of these? Is it too late?

1) Turner Corcoran - NU
2) Mason Richman - Iowa
4) Ky Thomas - Minn
5) Daniel Jackson - Minn
7) Hayden Pauls - ISU
8) Alex Conn - NU
9) Quinton Stewart - OSU

While I hate losing all these big offensive-line types, at least we are getting some good ones. But it kills to see skill players leaving the state - Thomas and Jackson and Stewart.

Anyone have any inside scoop?

powercat5000

Post by powercat5000 » November 25th, 2019, 3:58 pm

I've heard that Ky Thomas has been wavering, don't know if he still is- time will tell
Our Freedom Does Not End where Fear Begins

Watutalkaboutwillis

Pick 'Em

Post by Watutalkaboutwillis » November 25th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Seems like it would be harder to flip someone from Minn with the way they are playing compared to NU or Iowa. Unless you are just talking about dream school offers. you would have quite the crew, if you could keep all of them home.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » November 25th, 2019, 4:56 pm

No to all.

1) Turner Corcoran - NU - Despite NU's struggles, he is sold on being the next NU great lineman
2) Mason Richman - Iowa - Cancelled his visit to KSU after his Iowa visit/commitment. Not happening.
4) Ky Thomas - Minn - There was probably a crack, but Minnesota being in the top 15 closed that it seems.
5) Daniel Jackson - Minn - If he flips, it won't be for KSU
7) Hayden Pauls - ISU - ISU has a stronger connection then the new staff at KSU. Just got into the game too late.
8) Alex Conn - NU - Die hard NU fan
9) Quinton Stewart - OSU - Will Swanson took his spot. No longer a need at TE

Given the way the staff is going after other members in the 2020 class, you can tell they have moved on from any of the OL members above. Carver Willis and Dawson Delforge filled in 2 of the OL spots after missing on these.

They also appear to be chasing some JUCO OL to fill some spots looking at some recent offers:
Jeremiah Crawford - Butler CC - Offered Oct 1
Jeremy Flax - Independence CC - Offered Oct 15
Zeke Powell - Coffeyville CC - Offered ??

There is a good chance KSU could flip a current recruit, just not a KS kid from the list above. Kind of like they flipped some already in their tenure.
Tajiri Smith - 2020 recruit flipped from Memphis, William Jones - 2019 recruit flipped from Cal, Joshua Youngblood - 2019 recruit flipped from Temple, Jaren Lewis - 2019 recruit flipped from NDSU.

Speaking of other KS kids not listed above (ok some are KS JUCOs), these are still out there as well:
Derick Newton - Originally from GA, committed to KSU out of HS, but ended up at Butler. Could the 2 sides join up again?
Teven McKelvey - From Gardner. Committed to South Dakota on 247sports, but KSU could probably have him if they wanted him but it probably costs more then a PWO spot to get him. Is he worthy of a P5 offer?
Josh Davies-Balogun - Originally from TX, is now at Butler CC. Sites show a recent visit on 11/15 so there appears to be interest recently.
Malik Berry - Not sure what happened here but I think this ship has sailed a long time ago. Berry probably had a chance at one point, but kept shopping around for more offers and others took his spot.

There are also quite a few PWO from the state of KS that have been offered. While most will balk at a PWO, they are important for depth and building relationships with KS schools for the future classes.

Colter Maldonado and Marcus Preston from Lawrence Free State are 2 that I saw recently on twitter. LFS has produced some FBS talent as we know, and has a future Dineen there as well.
Last edited by AJcat7755 on November 25th, 2019, 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » November 25th, 2019, 5:09 pm

The more important concern at this point then flipping 2020 KS kids is locking down the 2021 KS kids now that the staff has had time to build relationships and have a 7 (or more) win team to back it up.

Dorian Stephens - Stilwell - Committed to KSU over an offer from KU. Should end up a top 10 KS kid.
Tank Young - Overland Park - Offer from ISU. Bit small (5'6") but could be a top rated RB regardless. Not sure if KSU needs a small RB in this class though.
Phillippe Wesley - Mission - Offers from Arizona State, KU
Devin Neal - Lawrence - Offers from KSU and KU. Note why it's important to get his teammates above as PWO.
Davonte Pritchard - Gardner - Offer from KSU. Note why it may worth giving McKelvey a shot to get him in the next class.
Noah Bolticoff - Rose Hill - Offer from KSU and KU. Saw he just visited Notre Dame, bet he starts picking up some other offers
Beau Stephens - Blue Springs (not KS, but close) - Offers from Arkansas, Iowa, ISU, KU, KSU, MU, OSU
Jaylin Noel - KCMO (close enough) - Offers from Iowa, ISU, KSU, Minnesota, NU, Wisc and South Dakota State
Tobechi Okoli - KCMO (close enough) - Offers from ISU and KSU

If the staff has made progress, there should be less of these top players leaving the state then in 2020. Even then, they can't get them all, and not all KS kids are fits for the program.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » November 25th, 2019, 5:19 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 5:09 pm

If the staff has made progress, there should be less of these top players leaving the state then in 2020. Even then, they can't get them all, and not all KS kids are fits for the program.
And that's the key. Yes, I want our staff to lock down the best talent in Kansas every year, but I would rather have players who are the right fit for the program. That is how Coach Snyder made K-State football so successful.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

purogato
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by purogato » November 25th, 2019, 10:17 pm

This is all great response. Thanks for the info.

I do believe we should start doing better with the in-staters as the new staff is now established.

I took a peak at all the Kansas recruits who signed Big 12 but outside of KS last year. I exaggerated - it's only 5. Who wants to be the bearer of bad news and tell me how bad it is that we missed on these 5?

Breece Hall, Wichita - ISU
Easton Dean, Oswego - ISU
Marcus Hicks, Wichita - OU
Joe Michalski, Overland Park - OSU
Dylan Jordan, Pittsburg - TCU

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » November 25th, 2019, 11:18 pm

Losing them to OU, etc... is one thing, but we can't start letting ISU steal them. That must change.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » November 26th, 2019, 9:38 am

Thanks for the great info AJcat! Have you heard anymore about Tanoa Togiai? A friend of mines kid, just played against them in the state championship, losing after Rigby went for 2 in double OT. He said the kid is a beast. I just don't see us recruiting kids from that area often.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » November 26th, 2019, 11:52 am

purogato wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 10:17 pm
This is all great response. Thanks for the info.

I do believe we should start doing better with the in-staters as the new staff is now established.

I took a peak at all the Kansas recruits who signed Big 12 but outside of KS last year. I exaggerated - it's only 5. Who wants to be the bearer of bad news and tell me how bad it is that we missed on these 5?

Breece Hall, Wichita - ISU
Easton Dean, Oswego - ISU
Marcus Hicks, Wichita - OU
Joe Michalski, Overland Park - OSU
Dylan Jordan, Pittsburg - TCU
Missing on Hall was unfortunate. He has 783 yards and 8 TD this year. But at the time of his recruitment was heavy, K-State had Barnes who had 1 year left, and McCoy, who wasn't ruled out yet so it didn't look like he could break into the depth chart right away. ISU got him early, and he walked into a spot he could start right away with ISU's RB going to the NFL. He would have started for KSU this year had.

Easton Dean was moved from QB to TE. Up until the injury Sammy Wheeler > Easton Dean as a better QB to TE transition. Lets see if that holds throughout the years and see if Easton Dean even plays.

Marcus Hicks, and other top players like that, are going to be hard to keep from going to the likes of OU as they will win most recruiting battles. However, the 4* recruit hasn't played for OU and isn't on the 2 deep. There is some depth in front of him too, so he may not play till he is a SO or JR. Good chance he plays sooner at KSU.

Joe Michalski isn't on the 2 deep, which isn't uncommon for his age on the OL. Time will tell if this was a miss or not, but so far, he isn't an impact starter.

Dylan Jordan never enrolled at TCU. There is a reason teams passed on him. He was a qualifying risk and ended up at Fort Scott CC.
Last edited by AJcat7755 on November 26th, 2019, 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.