#1 problem from today's game

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
Tbonespop
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 335 times

#1 problem from today's game

Post by Tbonespop » November 16th, 2019, 8:26 pm

The # 1 problem that resulted in the loss today was simple - lack of effort. Its just that simple. That goes for the coaching staff, OL, QB, defensive secondary, right on down the line.

This was not a talent discrepancy. This was not a scheme discrepancy. We all just witness a team playing uninspired football. One team had their backs against the wall and came out swinging with nothing to lose - WVU. The other team came in expecting that they would just show up and take the win home - KSU.

Want a prime example? Go back and watch the play of our DL defending the run in the first half. We got gashed. We did nothing different schematically in the second half, but excluding one running play, we held WVU to -7 yards rushing in the entire second half. All we did differently in the second half was shed blocks better - which is 100% effort. The DL in the second half played really, really well (secondary shit the bed when it counted).

Think back to the emotional level this KSU team played with at KU. They were disrespected in a big way and had something to prove. Today, they came in with the thought that they could just step on the field and win. Well, it doesn't work that way.

The #1 common denominator in the 4 losses this season have all been lack of effort and emotion. The common denominator in the "Good" wins was a lack of respect and having our backs up against the wall fueling our emotional play.
These users liked Tbonespop for the post (total 5):
Section 12-2 (November 16th, 2019, 9:31 pm) • csteel25 (November 16th, 2019, 10:12 pm) • kswildcat (November 16th, 2019, 10:17 pm) • Rusty7777 (November 16th, 2019, 10:55 pm) • stlcatfan (November 16th, 2019, 10:58 pm)

DioCat
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by DioCat » November 16th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Well stated. Agree completely. That all gets back to to coaching and preparation. Neither of which was evident today
These users liked DioCat for the post:
Rusty7777 (November 16th, 2019, 10:55 pm)

Rusty7777
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Rusty7777 » November 16th, 2019, 10:58 pm

Stan Weber was hinting strongly about lack of effort and not being ready to play in the post-game comments. He almost never comes that close to criticizing a K-State team.

stlcatfan
Has liked: 637 times
Been liked: 211 times

Post by stlcatfan » November 16th, 2019, 11:01 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 8:26 pm

The #1 common denominator in the 4 losses this season have all been lack of effort and emotion. The common denominator in the "Good" wins was a lack of respect and having our backs up against the wall fueling our emotional play.
Agreed. Maybe this loss will prove to be a wake up call for the rest of the season. These next two games will not be as "winnable" as the game today was supposed to be.

Something else I wonder (and this is not to make any excuses for our uninspired play today) is the past three weeks we have played three teams that were easy to "get up" for -- OU, KU, and UT. Today, it seemed like the team may have let up on their focus because of the opponent. Again, not an excuse (or a knock on WVU), but maybe rather, a lesson in what happens when we ease up on our focus and effort.

KStateguy
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by KStateguy » November 17th, 2019, 9:30 am

Good post. But don't underestimate your comment about the secondary TBones. That was by far the worst I have seen that group play this season. So many stupid plays and especially that last TD we GAVE them when it was 4th and forever. On that play our safety either had his eyes closed or his head up his @$$. If you take that one play away, it becomes our ball and we most likely win this game. That was a green QB who came in and lit up our secondary.
You are correct though in that EFFORT has to come before anything else. It precedes execution and X's and O's.
These users liked KStateguy for the post:
Rusty7777 (November 17th, 2019, 1:41 pm)

ToledoCat#2
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 166 times

Post by ToledoCat#2 » November 17th, 2019, 10:34 am

Their "green" QB had major college experience, plus he grew up playing football in Lubbock, TX. Enuf said.

KStateguy

Post by KStateguy » November 17th, 2019, 11:06 am

He hadn’t started this year until yesterday so as far as game experience, he was green. Practice, sitting on the bench is one thing, playing in a game is totally different. He played well but partly because our secondary played so poorly
These users liked KStateguy for the post:
Rusty7777 (November 17th, 2019, 1:40 pm)

Zoltar
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Zoltar » November 17th, 2019, 3:02 pm

He started every game last year at Bowling Green State. He is NOT a green QB.

https://wvusports.com/sports/football/r ... doege/9302
Win the dang day!

epicsnyder
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by epicsnyder » November 17th, 2019, 3:03 pm

KStateguy wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 11:06 am
He hadn’t started this year until yesterday so as far as game experience, he was green. Practice, sitting on the bench is one thing, playing in a game is totally different. He played well but partly because our secondary played so poorly
I think everyone is also forgetting that I am sure our D had absolutely NO prep for their QB whatsoever. Yeah, they should have played better, but imagine preparing all week for one dude and picking up his tendencies, etc and then have that switched up on you at the last minute, by a guy that you know nothing about. In a game that you are pretty sure if you just show up and play 70% effort, you probably win. Not making excuses though. That was so aggravating to watch I honestly spent more time watching other games off and on because it was maddening watching all the mistakes over and over and over, I couldn't take it anymore. After Dishon's stupid penalty, motion by Taylor (which one again proves why he is not playing as much---it's between his ears), and motion by Trotter......I grabbed the remote. Always amazed why backs and WRs who KNOW the play AND the snap count move. Blows my mind.

I find it a bit humorous though that Doedge (sp?) from mighty Bowling Green, has clearly now stolen the job away from a transfer from the golden boys at OU. Just another prime example that it doesn't matter where you start,.............

I didn't even think this team would reach .500 prior to the season starting so, I am not near the ledge. 50/50 game next week IMO. And if the team that walked on the field yesterday plays against ISU, we get run by 2-3 TDs. I watched them yesterday (when I needed to breathe with our mistake after mistake) and they have SEVERAL WRs/playmakers that make me nervous. I don't think we beat them. Hope I'm wrong. Cannot imagine we play that shitty again. CLEARLY a lack of focus and taking an opponent too lightly based on their record yesterday as others have alluded to on here.

KStateguy

Post by KStateguy » November 17th, 2019, 7:31 pm

Green was the wrong word to use. Point well taken. My point was he hasn’t played a big 12 team until yesterday and I thought our defense would give him more fits than what we did. I over estimated us and under estimated him.