Been liked: 298 times

Pick 'Em

Re: Texas Tech SHREDDING a D we couldn't budge

Post by wild@nite » October 8th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Hypeman wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 8:51 pm
wild@nite wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 9:15 am

I'm wondering if you're old enough to have seen Manhattan and our facilities in 1988 vs now. It is indeed apples and oranges. The fact that you don't know that means that you are either under the age of 40ish and are talking out of your rear end or you have your head buried in the sand. We used to be miles behind every single team we played. Miles... We are now miles ahead of many, at the very least, on par with most, and behind very few, facility wise. Also, I've been to many college campuses and towns throughout the midwest and west coast and if you think it's about growth, then you don't get the unique aspect of college athletics. Our community is unique and instead of excuses, it needs to be sold that way. This staff gets it and is selling it that way. That's why I'm going to remain in their corner.
I think you are missing the point. The facilities arms race is nearly ‘everywhere’; sadly. And it looks like it will continue; sadly. Community growth has happened in nearly every college town. Many have become destinations for retirees, many have seen significant business development that is probably the result of having a University, lots of reasons. That isn’t unique to Manhattan, and in my opinion, it’s has been less so over the last 25+ years in Manhattan than many communities like it. Perhaps one could argue Manhattan has had a mini-boom in the last 10. Regardless, A couple extra flights at the airport is positive, but we all still drive 2 hours to get on planes in KC most of the time. That’s isolation in the minds of many.

Can you recruit a powerhouse, I’d suggest a really skilled and experienced coach can recruit the right mix of kids to have a competitor every 4 years or so. Bruce Weber has show how that can be done. But, Weber’s best classes are still weaker than most on paper. He’s just a master at identifying the ‘right’ players to fit a style he can incorporate to be successful against more talented comp.
Again, you're stuck on growth/location. If our staff tries to get kids focused on "experience" of a true college atmosphere, then we have an advantage.

And of course Weber's classes prior to this year have been weaker on paper (although not most, as you say). We aren't cheating.

Next...

Hypeman
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by Hypeman » October 8th, 2019, 10:19 pm

wild@nite wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 10:10 pm
Hypeman wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 8:51 pm

I think you are missing the point. The facilities arms race is nearly ‘everywhere’; sadly. And it looks like it will continue; sadly. Community growth has happened in nearly every college town. Many have become destinations for retirees, many have seen significant business development that is probably the result of having a University, lots of reasons. That isn’t unique to Manhattan, and in my opinion, it’s has been less so over the last 25+ years in Manhattan than many communities like it. Perhaps one could argue Manhattan has had a mini-boom in the last 10. Regardless, A couple extra flights at the airport is positive, but we all still drive 2 hours to get on planes in KC most of the time. That’s isolation in the minds of many.

Can you recruit a powerhouse, I’d suggest a really skilled and experienced coach can recruit the right mix of kids to have a competitor every 4 years or so. Bruce Weber has show how that can be done. But, Weber’s best classes are still weaker than most on paper. He’s just a master at identifying the ‘right’ players to fit a style he can incorporate to be successful against more talented comp.
Again, you're stuck on growth/location. If our staff tries to get kids focused on "experience" of a true college atmosphere, then we have an advantage.

And of course Weber's classes prior to this year have been weaker on paper (although not most, as you say). We aren't cheating.

Next...
How do you define true college atmosphere? I’ve literally been to dozens of campuses. I think they all have it, with unique aspects to each depending on location, types of programs, etc. What makes ours different and better? I would wager that the alumni at every college would say they have it.

hilltopwildcat
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by hilltopwildcat » October 8th, 2019, 11:09 pm

Hype, you've got to give Klieman more than 5 games before you throw in the towel. Let's see what kind of classes he can get first.

Do you think Nick Saban could recruit here? How well? I'd say if he were here we'd be in the mix for the playoffs every year.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » October 8th, 2019, 11:38 pm

hilltopwildcat wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 11:09 pm
Hype, you've got to give Klieman more than 5 games before you throw in the towel. Let's see what kind of classes he can get first.

Do you think Nick Saban could recruit here? How well? I'd say if he were here we'd be in the mix for the playoffs every year.
Agreed. I think it will be really interesting to see how it goes. And I’m always a skeptic by nature. Something I can’t fix.
These users liked Hypeman for the post:
hilltopwildcat (October 9th, 2019, 1:02 pm)

wild@nite
Has liked: 50 times

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » October 8th, 2019, 11:40 pm

Hypeman wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 10:19 pm
wild@nite wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Next...
How do you define true college atmosphere? I’ve literally been to dozens of campuses. I think they all have it, with unique aspects to each depending on location, types of programs, etc. What makes ours different and better? I would wager that the alumni at every college would say they have it.
Each has their own unique qualities, sure, but we have an entire town that loves and breathes KSU. The Midwest college towns have a specialness because of that. Iowa State has it too and guess what? They have a coach that realizes it and it's paying off. That's what it takes.

I've been to Lawrence, Columbia, Champagne, L.A., San Diego, Memphis, Nashville, Boulder, Fayetteville, Miami, Cincinnati, and a few more and you don't see the support that you see in Manhattan, Ames, Norman, Stillwater, etc... There is a reason Wiscy keeps getting talent. Great college town, not desirable location. The places mentioned above don't have near the unity and passion year around for their University as we, and several other small college towns have. Many people, including recruits are stuck on location based on population, but that's BS. Sell kids on giving the small college town experience a visit.

Manhattan is a unique place. Talk to some visiting fans some time. I try to do it whenever possible. USC fans told me in 2002 that they'd kill to have our environment. Auburn fans told me in 2014 that while a smaller scale, our environment was awesome and very unique and they were shocked. Not what they expected at all.

The inferior attitude only holds us back. I'm proud of what we have and with the right staff, that attitude will breed. I think this staff believes KState is capable of great things and is willing to sell it.
These users liked wild@nite for the post:
stlcatfan (October 12th, 2019, 9:38 am)

Opensource
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Opensource » October 9th, 2019, 7:39 am

Players will follow winners and exciting play. Snyder wasn’t able to capitalize on the success years. I think that was largely due to his conservative play calling making us look very boring and lose several key games, such as the A&M loss. As well as his no fun approach. If Klieman can win his person skills will make K-State much more successful. But, he has to win. Players are having much more fun than playing for SNYDER and that word is out. A small group would rather win and not have fun, which was Snyder’s recruiting pool. As well as players with no other option. Kliemen has a larger potential upside.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » October 9th, 2019, 2:16 pm

wild@nite wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 11:40 pm
Hypeman wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 10:19 pm

Each has their own unique qualities, sure, but we have an entire town that loves and breathes KSU. The Midwest college towns have a specialness because of that. Iowa State has it too and guess what? They have a coach that realizes it and it's paying off. That's what it takes.

I've been to Lawrence, Columbia, Champagne, L.A., San Diego, Memphis, Nashville, Boulder, Fayetteville, Miami, Cincinnati, and a few more and you don't see the support that you see in Manhattan, Ames, Norman, Stillwater, etc... There is a reason Wiscy keeps getting talent. Great college town, not desirable location. The places mentioned above don't have near the unity and passion year around for their University as we, and several other small college towns have. Many people, including recruits are stuck on location based on population, but that's BS. Sell kids on giving the small college town experience a visit.

Manhattan is a unique place. Talk to some visiting fans some time. I try to do it whenever possible. USC fans told me in 2002 that they'd kill to have our environment. Auburn fans told me in 2014 that while a smaller scale, our environment was awesome and very unique and they were shocked. Not what they expected at all.

The inferior attitude only holds us back. I'm proud of what we have and with the right staff, that attitude will breed. I think this staff believes KState is capable of great things and is willing to sell it.
I’m sure many are pleasantly surprised when the come to MHK. There is a reason we like to live here. Quiet, out of the way. But, the isolation is going to be a barrier with young people. It shows in the enrollment trends. The same factors that impact all students also impact athletes. There isn’t much for them outside of football and basketball games.

That’s why KU will always have a competitive advantage. The fact that they’ve sucked at football for so long is amazing. The school is actually quite good at about everything else other than following rules.

wild@nite
Has liked: 50 times

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » October 9th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Agreed, but there also plenty of talented kids who would love to get out of the city and into a caring, community that eats and sleeps the sport they are playing. It's a matter of finding them. Winning helps a bunch, but so do active, passionate recruiters. We gotta give it time. We have had facilities, winning, and passionate recruiters all at once. That's why I think it's a BS excuse.

Are we gonna steal 5 star kids? No, but we should expect to sign classes that can compete for 7-8 wins every year.

tmcats
Has liked: 658 times
Been liked: 438 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » October 9th, 2019, 2:53 pm

for all the internal and external blow about mhk, it continues to be ranked as one of the top ten college towns in america. flymhk has 3 jet flights per day to dfw and 2 per day to ord.

https://livability.com/top-10/college/1 ... YaPkMqx2L0

"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » October 9th, 2019, 5:55 pm

tmcats wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 2:53 pm
for all the internal and external blow about mhk, it continues to be ranked as one of the top ten college towns in america. flymhk has 3 jet flights per day to dfw and 2 per day to ord.

https://livability.com/top-10/college/1 ... YaPkMqx2L0

Seriously? There’s only about 100’ different orgs that communities can pay to get themselves ranked. Shoot coach Klieman cam from the best place to live in America. I sure as hell ain’t moving to Fargo, unless I want to get stuffed in a wood chipper.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.onlyin ... ty-nd/amp/

Good advertising strategy, but phony magazine rankings don’t beat hard data.