ESPN+ (Gene responded)

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
hilltopwildcat
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 161 times

Re: ESPN+ (Gene responded)

Post by hilltopwildcat » September 20th, 2019, 8:21 am

Just sent my e-mail. I hope he likes blunt.

ToledoCat#2
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 136 times

Post by ToledoCat#2 » September 20th, 2019, 9:32 am

Got what must have been an auto-response from the AD within minutes of sending it. His response is that he doesn't "think" it will happen again for a football game.
These users liked ToledoCat#2 for the post:
hilltopwildcat (September 20th, 2019, 12:05 pm)

KsJoey
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by KsJoey » September 20th, 2019, 10:37 am

epicsnyder wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 7:04 am
Number8son wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 11:26 pm
Perhaps the only thing KSU will understand if rural alumni withhold donations and eliminate KSU from their wills until something changes.
It's not just rural America. The one thing I have not seen discussed in any of these numerous threads that are going about this topic, is WHO is it that donates to the university? Older people give their cash. Not 20-somethings. A lot of older people like my parents have no interest in downloading/streaming/adding services they don't want or need. Do this to too many of them and see what happens to the overall donations coming in.
I may be wrong here, but there may be some change in cash flow coming in when a good portion of your LOYAL fan base is essentially shut out from watching their team. They are all already shelling out big dollars for their cable subscriptions. When the best game in your conference for that weekend (and the basketball game with last years co-champs----WTH??) is relegated to ESPN-Pay-Per-View........where does it go from here. THAT is what concerns me.
For me, it's just $5 so I will get it for the weekend just like I did for the earlier game this season and then cancel it. Again. I live 1/2 way across the country so spending $5 for a game ticket is a no brainer for me.
But I don't think the powers that be are thinking about the fan base that doesn't think like I am, so..............
Well said. Regardless of high-speed internet access, most of the older generation isn't going to want to deal with streaming a game or know how to stream one. I could see it rubbing a lot of those donors the wrong way.

PurpleOnWhite
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by PurpleOnWhite » September 20th, 2019, 10:57 am

This entire debacle may be a test run by ESPN/Big 12/ KSU(?) as to the financial viability of the ESPN+ model. The fact that you can come in and out of a subscription so easily is all but a PPV model. They are collecting a lot of customer data and will no doubt make changes.

katlander
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 146 times

Post by katlander » September 20th, 2019, 11:01 am

I see a lot of things going on today and have to wonder if this is progress? I think greed is a better word, that and possibly stupidity.

SWKat
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by SWKat » September 20th, 2019, 12:06 pm

I’ve been wrestling with the idea of getting the espn + subscription for the game next weekend or saying screw espn and just listen to Wyatt and Stan on the radio. Leaning towards the latter the more and more I think about it. I know it’s only $5, not even because you can get a free 7 day trial, but I’m tired of these big wigs at espn deciding how our games are shown especially because they could care less how it affects the Big 12 or KSU fans.

hilltopwildcat
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by hilltopwildcat » September 20th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Fine. PPV then. Just put it on a platform that is readily available and simple for old farts to understand.

PPV may come back to bite them and I believe it will lead to significantly higher prices. B1G, SEC networks were based on hooking in to cable/satellite networks where they had millions of viewers who paid a pittance a month whether they watched a second of their programming or not. Do you think many in NY, AL, WA would pay a nickel to watch KSU/OSU? I sure wouldn't pay to watch Oregon St/Cal or Rutgers/Minnesota. If it's free (kinda, I realize you have a subscription to pay for), maybe I watch some. I think you either will be a fan or a super college football fan. With all the cord cutting going on, I think this is a desperation move.

Opensource
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Opensource » September 20th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Encourage people to pay the $5 because if we don’t sell we are out of the BiG 12 next renegotiation.

kinsleycat
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by kinsleycat » September 20th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Even if we pay for ESPN+, what seems ridiculous to me is that we have 10 men's basketball games that are currently scheduled for radio only

n2catnip
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by n2catnip » September 22nd, 2019, 2:36 pm

I was at Table Rock for the opener and subscribed to ESPN+. Cast the game from my Verizon phone to the TV. Did the same yesterday for UK and WVU game here in ICT. It’s been convenient for me but recognize it will vary from customer to customer.