skylar ranked top qb ...

The defending Big XII Champions
AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Re: skylar ranked top qb ...

Post by AJcat7755 » September 20th, 2019, 1:42 pm

4th

Some of the interviews he almost seems like he is about ready to break down thinking about all the struggles he has gone through to get to this point and he appreciates the opportunity to finally have coaches behind him.

Jax

Pick 'Em

Post by Jax » September 20th, 2019, 2:55 pm

This is absolutely news to be proud of. I hope it elevates ST's teammates to keep improving as well. It is too often that QBs rated for the next level, find themselves surrounded by fans, instead of supporting cast. No matter how great Andrew Luck was, he still needed someone to run, block and catch the ball. I remember that not happening in the 2011 season, when Stanford lost to OkSU.
We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin

MileHighWillie

Post by MileHighWillie » September 20th, 2019, 7:37 pm

typical Toledo. Come on man, please show us some comments where he shows a big head.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » September 20th, 2019, 11:00 pm

chirp..........chirp............Crickets.............
EMAW

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » September 21st, 2019, 5:59 am

bhoovy wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 12:06 pm
I’ll make it a third.

Some of the media had pumped him up but I’ve not heard him say a word that would indicate he’s gotten a bit of a big head.
haven't heard stuff either. didn't get that from the posted link.

now, that said, show me a QB who doesn't believe in himself (basically HAS to believe in himself to be successful?)

Colin might have been 'the one', but don't overlook Colins strength of belief (I can do all things...) it comes in different ways/forms.
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » September 22nd, 2019, 9:27 am

still nuthin' ?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » September 23rd, 2019, 10:48 am

will he ever explain?

Why is there something rather than nothing?

KSURFC8
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KSURFC8 » September 23rd, 2019, 11:42 am

If you ask any USAF pilot who's the best pilot for that particular platform, he'll (she'll) tell you that it's him/her.

They'll also tell you that if you ever ask that question and they think someone else is or even might be the best pilot, you're talking to the wrong pilot and one you don't want flying in support of you and your unit.

I suspect there's more than a few similarities between USAF pilots and starting QBs. Obviously there's something to be said about attitude and arrogance but for the most part, I'd much rather have a QB that thinks they're the best than someone who thinks someone else is.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » September 23rd, 2019, 1:59 pm

Maybe it is because I am around high school kids all day every day, but I never get too worked up about what these kids say during interviews. They may have a bit of training from the media relations staff, but lets not pretend these kids are experts at talking to the media, even a guy like Skylar who is a 4th year junior. I thought for a bit in the preseason he was talking too much about last year and wanted to tell him to just move on from talking about those struggles, but lets also not forget that they generally get asked the same dang questions over and over in different ways, so trying to come up with wonderful and insightful answers is not easy.

I used to say the same things when people would rip Coach Weber for things he said in his post-game interview. Having done many post-game interviews, I can say that most of the time you are still not even thinking completely straight yet, you are still trying to process the game and everything that happened and so many times you get done with the interview and you have no idea what you just said.

I have just never really cared what people say in media interviews. If they are articulate and sound insightful, great, good for them, and it may mean something as far as their ability to do the job, but often-times it means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. Andy Reid is a heck of a football coach, but his interviews leave a lot to be desired. Same with Bill Snyder, etc etc. It just doesn't matter that much.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » September 23rd, 2019, 2:09 pm

bob knight was dreadfully embarrassing with the media. it didn't seem to affect his coaching.
Why is there something rather than nothing?