wowzer, oSu game on espn plus ...

The defending Big XII Champions
Kid In the Hall
Has thanked: 0

Re: wowzer, oSu game on espn plus ...

Post by Kid In the Hall » September 16th, 2019, 9:01 pm

What's quite possible is that ESPN is using the Big 12 as a guinea pig to determine the viability of placing somewhat marquee games on ESPN+ to see if/how it drives subscriptions. If it does work, then they'll strong arm the other leagues - even the SEC/ACC - during the next round of negotiations into distributing some of their content on ESPN+ vs. keeping it entirely on the ACC/SEC Networks. Spreading it around on as many different platforms/channels as possible will increase revenue (so long as they maintain enough of a balance to justify the existence of both).

emawecaw

Post by emawecaw » September 16th, 2019, 9:02 pm

I am guessing there will be a Big 12 game on it every week instead of on ESPN3 (Watch ESPN) like they were before. I just can't believe this is considered to be the worst Big 12 game that week. I wonder if ESPN gets to pick games for their pay per view service before Fox.

Stealthcat81
Been thanked: 0

Post by Stealthcat81 » September 16th, 2019, 9:06 pm

I thought ESPN+ was only for tier 3 rights games. Since when is a conference game a tier 3 game? I sense the Big 12 was victimized by an ESPN bait and switch in signing this contract. I plan on taking advantage of the 7 day free trial and then cancelling after the game is over. I wonder how many times I can do that. I have a bunch of email addresses to create new accounts with.

Houston_Cat
Been thanked: 0

Post by Houston_Cat » September 16th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Anyone know if sports bars are allowed to carry espn+ since they are a commercial entity? Even if they can, I’ve never walked into one that has Roku/Apple TV etc on their tv’s. We have watch parties all over the country that will be affected.

Jax

Pick 'Em

Post by Jax » September 16th, 2019, 9:23 pm

WichitaCat wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 12:11 pm
This is BS! My dad is 94 yrs old, never had a need for a computer, internet or cellphone and wants to watch K-State sports on TV. How many other K-State fans are in the same position?
I am with Dad and nowhere near his age. I want to watch it on TV without having to hook up Roku.
We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » September 16th, 2019, 9:30 pm

C'mon guys. Haven't you figured this out? It's simple. Beat an $EC team on prime time ESPN, and pay the price. I kid, I kid. But the timing does seem ironic.

So here are the competing games we lost out to:
ACC game Minn vs Purdue on ESPN at 3:30 ET (Not exactly a big TV market game)
ACC game Clemson vs UNC on ABC/ESPN at 3:30 ET
B12 ISU vs Baylor on ABC/ESPN at 3:30 ET (Not exactly a big TV market game either)

No idea why the game couldn't have been on ESPNU in the least.
EMAW

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » September 16th, 2019, 10:19 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 9:30 pm
C'mon guys. Haven't you figured this out? It's simple. Beat an $EC team on prime time ESPN, and pay the price. I kid, I kid. But the timing does seem ironic.

B12 ISU vs Baylor on ABC/ESPN at 3:30 ET (Not exactly a big TV market game either)

Just spit-balling here, but maybe with the move away from traditional cable to live streaming over the internet, this is ESPN's way of trying to promote its streaming service to sports consumers rather than "relegating" two top 30 teams to a third-tier platform.

ESPN may also be banking (pardon the pun) on more people signing up to watch K-State vs. oSu than they would to watch each school's "Tier 3" game. Even though traditionally I have not been a big fan of ESPN, I see a lot of potential here with this platform.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » September 16th, 2019, 11:51 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 10:19 pm
Tbonespop wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Just spit-balling here, but maybe with the move away from traditional cable to live streaming over the internet, this is ESPN's way of trying to promote its streaming service to sports consumers rather than "relegating" two top 30 teams to a third-tier platform.

ESPN may also be banking (pardon the pun) on more people signing up to watch K-State vs. oSu than they would to watch each school's "Tier 3" game. Even though traditionally I have not been a big fan of ESPN, I see a lot of potential here with this platform.
I hear ya but IMO If someone has a streaming service or any LIVE TV service provider (sat, cable, or streaming), we shouldn't have to pay extra from ESPN for the additional ESPN content. Granted, most can afford it. It's just the principle of it all, ESPN trying to stick it to us all for more $$.

Here's an example of a competing offering. I buy a MX/SX package from NBC Sports every year (I ride MX and SX myself). The package is $90 for the whole year, which includes a total of 17 SX events and 12 MX events, for a total of 160 races over 29 events, all commercial free. Plus I get access to all qualifying races and pre-race coverage. That's $3 per event, but it includes all pre and post race coverage and its commercial free. I love the package, its a hellava deal. But that is stark contrast to what ESPN is doing.

I know we get access to all of the other FCS low level football games (who cares??) and we get access to sports nobody watches unless its your kid playing (college soccer and VB) . It's just not worth the $$.

They are trying to "ala carte" and "bundle" - double dipping. I would prefer they do one or the other, but not both.
EMAW

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » September 17th, 2019, 7:25 am

50 bucks this year, 100 next year 199 the next and they start eliminating what they cover unless you pay for an extra tier. Just the beginning. Free enterprise, they'll choke it until it turns blue.

Jax

Pick 'Em

Post by Jax » September 17th, 2019, 8:06 am

OSU fans are equally upset with this decision. i have no problem with ESPN+, if you prefer watching games on devices. I am old skool like some of you who want to watch my games on the television. I have several smart tvs in my house, but all of them will require adding a fire stick or hooking up additional equipment like Roku.
We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin