John Holcombe Dunk

The defending Big XII Champions
Jax

Pick 'Em

John Holcombe Dunk

Post by Jax » July 16th, 2019, 1:27 pm

I heard he was big and athletic. I did not realize just how big he was until now. This kid should be making catches from tight end.
We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin

farrout10

Post by farrout10 » July 16th, 2019, 2:38 pm

He should be ‘posting up’ in December!

ArKSU

Post by ArKSU » July 16th, 2019, 4:24 pm

farrout10
He should be ‘posting up’ in December!
Basquetteballe, as with billiards, tiddlywinks, chutes-n ladders, dominoes, and checkers are children's games to waste time waiting for Football, Baseball, and Track.
BasquetteBalle is a winter ACTIVITY to keep actual athletes in shape for Actual Sports.
********************************************************************************************************

Naismith was given 14 days to create an indoor game that would provide an "athletic distraction": Gulick demanded that it would not take up much room, could help its track athletes to keep in shape[8] and explicitly emphasized to "make it fair for all players and not too rough."
In early December 1891, Canadian James Naismith,[4] a physical education professor and instructor at the International Young Men's Christian Association Training School[5] (YMCA) (today, Springfield College) in Springfield, Massachusetts, was trying to keep his gym class active on a rainy day. He sought a vigorous indoor game to keep his students occupied and at proper levels of fitness during the long New England winters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball#Creation
A worried man with a worried mind
People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed

iowa_wildcat

Post by iowa_wildcat » July 16th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Keeping active in the Springfield, Massachusetts area and remaining healthy must still be a problem. My oldest grandson is working on his PhD in physical therapy at good old Springfield College.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » July 16th, 2019, 5:21 pm

I just want to know if he can throw a football accurately and on time with some zip. Yes, he's big. Yes, he's athletic. I'd hope so - he's a D1 athlete at a P5 school. I'd hope he was athletic and big. He's 6-4" with long arms. I'm 6-0" and could dunk in HS (nothing fancy, but I could get it down) - and I wasn't near being a D1 athlete.

I want to see him on the football field. Contrary to all the worry about WR and RB, our biggest blind spot is at QB behind ST. He's first man up. Let's see it on the pitch.
EMAW

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » July 16th, 2019, 5:41 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 5:21 pm
I just want to know if he can throw a football accurately and on time with some zip. Yes, he's big. Yes, he's athletic. I'd hope so - he's a D1 athlete at a P5 school. I'd hope he was athletic and big. He's 6-4" with long arms. I'm 6-0" and could dunk in HS (nothing fancy, but I could get it down) - and I wasn't near being a D1 athlete.

I want to see him on the football field. Contrary to all the worry about WR and RB, our biggest blind spot is at QB behind ST. He's first man up. Let's see it on the pitch.
Coach Klieman spoke pretty highly of him in the media interview today. Referred to him as a "special talent" and very athletic, but acknowledged he is still learning the new system. I hope he gets some meaningful snaps in those first two games. We need him to be able to step in if Skylar goes down.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » July 16th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Tbonespop wrote:

To be fair, I'd bet the house your dunk didn't ever get close to that dunk. That dunk has D1 athlete written all over it at his size. A dunk, in a gym at Horton HS, got Trey Dishon an offer (his only D1). Our coaches went to talk to him after they heard about his powerlifting results and size. Hortons strength coach told me that they immediately offered when they saw him dunk. When you have size and are that athletic, you have a spot somewhere.

Also, he certainly can throw the ball well. CK said pre snap reads are his inconsistency. Perhaps more film study and less pickup ball?

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » July 16th, 2019, 8:06 pm

wild@nite wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 6:07 pm
Tbonespop wrote:

To be fair, I'd bet the house your dunk didn't ever get close to that dunk. That dunk has D1 athlete written all over it at his size. A dunk, in a gym at Horton HS, got Trey Dishon an offer (his only D1). Our coaches went to talk to him after they heard about his powerlifting results and size. Hortons strength coach told me that they immediately offered when they saw him dunk. When you have size and are that athletic, you have a spot somewhere.

Also, he certainly can throw the ball well. CK said pre snap reads are his inconsistency. Perhaps more film study and less pickup ball?
Guarantee that his was more impressive than mine, lol. I could barely squeak it over the rim....I blame it on my short arms :D And to be fair, I did end up playing rugby for K State so I wasn't a total hack - and we had several of the football players on our team after they completed eligibility but were still in school (grad school). A couple of the guys were freaks and great to play with - good dudes. Another one, I couldn't believe how soft he was. I couldn't believe he played D1 football under Snyder. Great guy to hang with and all, just super soft on the field.

Anyway on John, my point was I want to see him do it on the football field (as I'm certain everybody does). He looks like a freak athletically. I hope his QB skill level matches his athleticism. If it doesn't we need to move him to TE ASAP. A guy with that size, hops, and athleticism shouldn't be playing QB unless its a no doubter he has the accuracy, skills, and mind to be a QB. One way or another, that kid needs to be on the field.
EMAW

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » July 16th, 2019, 10:15 pm

I agree. I think he's next up. CK sounded fairly high on him.

Watutalkaboutwillis

Pick 'Em

Post by Watutalkaboutwillis » July 17th, 2019, 1:09 pm

From what I saw in couple practices we were able to see, he has plenty of zip, probably too much at times. Looked like he just needed more reps to get the system down to not throw it to the wrong place and get a little more touch. And He can run!! He will be a load if he gets a chance and someone doesnt pass him up. If someone does pass him up, that would be great as I do believe he is by far the #2. If he sees the field much this year, think you would see a pretty heavy does of QB run. But he can pass better than CK could early in his career IMO.