cbs puts o/u at 5.5 wins ...

The defending Big XII Champions
tmcats

Pick 'Em

cbs puts o/u at 5.5 wins ...

Post by tmcats » June 30th, 2019, 11:18 am

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... its-rival/

i always find it interesting how media refuse to use the correct athletic department name for the program: k-state. anyway, low expectation for ck's first year. only ku and wvu had lower on this cbs prognosis. and i expect it to be that way for all the rest going into the season, as this is a copycat industry if there ever was one. not sure about the 'snyderball' comment - is ck expected to run it or not? :)

KANSAS ST.
5.5 wins: Even in his worst season since 2005, you could count on Bill Snyder leading Kansas State to at least a couple of unexpected wins. Still, that wasn't enough for bowl eligibility in 2018, and now Chris Klieman takes over a program that isn't quite playing the same brand of Snyderball it is used to. Long-term, Klieman is a good bet to get K-State rolling again, but there are a lot of tough games when you get past Week 2. It's a principle play, but I'll take the under.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » June 30th, 2019, 11:54 am

I'm not at all surprised. We are usually underrated by the media outlets. My best guess is that we will go 6-6 and 7-5 is a reasonable expectation. 5-7 or lower would be a disappointment for me.

Coach Snyder did not exactly leave us with a full cupboard. Fortunately, we have several starters returning to give us a decent first string, but we also have some key losses and a concerning lack of depth. It didn't help things when Hughes went down and McCoy was forced to end his career. Add in the transfers of Zuber and Rison and we will have to hope that some of the young (and new) guys can step up to provide that depth. If they can, and we can avoid any more key injuries, we should be better than that o/u 5.5 win prediction.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

powercat5000

Post by powercat5000 » June 30th, 2019, 12:06 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 11:54 am
I'm not at all surprised. We are usually underrated by the media outlets. Actually, my guess is not far off theirs. My best guess is that we will go 6-6 and 7-5 is a reasonable expectation. 5-7 or lower would be a disappointment for me.
There will be growing pains, let’s just hope that the returning talent can get to a bowl game. Depth will definitely be an issue and if Sky goes down....eeeesh! We’ll see what type of a coach Klieman is next season because LHCBS didn’t leave the waters as calm as he could have, anything 6-6 or above and I’m happy- Klieman will need some time.
Our Freedom Does Not End where Fear Begins

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » June 30th, 2019, 1:06 pm

I honestly think 5-7 is about right considering the lack of depth in some key areas. There will be injuries. 7-5 is probably the ceiling, imo. 8 wins or more and CK will really turn some heads in the recruiting and coaching world.

Just trying to remain realistic.

kstueve

Post by kstueve » June 30th, 2019, 7:53 pm

floor is 4 wins. 2-1 in Non con lose to Miss St on the road -- think all the experts go that route
2-7 in conference beat KU and someone??/ don't see lots of give mes this year.

I will be disappointed with 4-8 if CK is who we think he is he will give us at least one unexpected win.
I will be happy with a year one 5-7 . Can't really see a way to more than 7-5 without beating Miss St on the road

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » June 30th, 2019, 11:21 pm

If Skylar stays healthy, we win at least 7 games maybe as many as 9 wins. If he gets hurt, all bets are off. We are thin behind him at QB in terms of experience, and that is huge in the B12.
EMAW

ArKSU

Post by ArKSU » July 1st, 2019, 12:20 am

If you think it would help I'd do The Old Fat Man Lucky Naked Dance in BSFS.

But I would require body guards and probably several top notch lawyers if I do it.

The only advantage would be we might get in 2-3 TDs as the opponent would be laughing so hard.
A worried man with a worried mind
People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » July 1st, 2019, 6:24 am

ArKSU wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 12:20 am
If you think it would help I'd do The Old Fat Man Lucky Naked Dance in BSFS.

But I would require body guards and probably several top notch lawyers if I do it.

The only advantage would be we might get in 2-3 TDs as the opponent would be laughing so hard.
so you're saying you would need to be strategic and pick the right game?
:mrgreen:
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

Jax

Pick 'Em

Post by Jax » July 1st, 2019, 8:04 am

Anytime you have to preface a statement with "if", then it's a fair bet a lot of hope is being thrown into the equation. Injuries occur, and a lot of coaching changes have been made. Wins that generally were considered guarantees are not a given this season.

2-1 pre-season is reasonable to start. Baylor, TCU and WVU are home games, so chances are good. The remaining including Kansas are up in the air. With Les Miles at the helm, who knows what to expect. As we know, and that has been pointed out in this thread, the cupboard was left quite bare. I agree 5-7 would be disappointing, but should be no surprise.
We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » July 1st, 2019, 9:11 am

Tbonespop wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 11:21 pm
If Skylar stays healthy, we win at least 7 games maybe as many as 9 wins. If he gets hurt, all bets are off. We are thin behind him at QB in terms of experience, and that is huge in the B12.
I like your optimism and I hope you are right. :thumbsup:

Yes, we are very inexperienced behind Skylar. I hope Holcombe gets some snaps in those early season games. He's a good athlete with a great arm. He just needs game experience.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln