Thoughts on the NFL draft this year and recent trends

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
wazucat
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 40 times

Thoughts on the NFL draft this year and recent trends

Post by wazucat » April 29th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Best name : EJ Speed

Local interest : Washburn 1 draftee, KSU two draftees, KU ZERO draftee.

I check in on KU football boards from time to time and the general theme there is that they are now and have been out recruiting KSU for the last half dozen years and when Old Balls is gone they will reassert themselves and kick our asses regularly in football. :rofl: Based upon the NFL's opinion that is not the case . :wink:

The NFL votes with real money on which conference has the most talent and no surprise SEC SEC SEC.

The NFL also votes with real money by positions and over the last few years when the QB position comes around its the Big12 Big12 Big12 .

But KU can take solace in the fact that they tied Nebraska with the number of players drafted this year, 0 :popcorn:

Interested in some of my fellow Cats opinions on the NFL draft this year and or past year trends.

stlcatfan
Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by stlcatfan » April 29th, 2019, 9:56 pm

I can't say too much. I didn't watch it on TV, but kind of followed it on the Internet. I just opened a window to NFL.com's website and checked on it from time to time. I really only cared about where K-State and Big 12 players got drafted and also how the Chiefs drafted.

I was a little surprised that Duke was drafted and Barnes was not, but I'm glad they (along with a few others) landed with an NFL team.

I would be curious if anyone here watched the coverage "wall-to-wall." I used to do that back in the pre-Internet days, but that was also the time of my life when I was young and unmarried. :)

tmcats
Has liked: 521 times
Been liked: 314 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 30th, 2019, 8:53 am

i watched quite a lot of it, off and on and found the nfl network's coverage had better analysis and less theater than espn, so i drifted over there once i tried it. the broncos' post-draft risner coverage has been really entertaining for obvious reasons.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/ris ... -teammates

i've also got a charge out of following duke on social media. he is so damn happy. man-oh-man.

https://twitter.com/DukeSaysGo?ref_src= ... r%5Eauthor
These users liked tmcats for the post (total 2):
stlcatfan (April 30th, 2019, 9:21 pm) • NealyFan (May 1st, 2019, 12:42 am)
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

02Cat
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 16 times

Pick 'Em

Post by 02Cat » April 30th, 2019, 9:10 am

stlcatfan wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 9:56 pm
I used to do that back in the pre-Internet days, but that was also the time of my life when I was young and unmarried. :)
Tell me about it!!!
Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

danielcood
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by danielcood » May 6th, 2019, 5:46 am

I have good thoughts

KCCATFAN
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by KCCATFAN » May 14th, 2019, 9:38 am

I have noticed that the value of running backs has greatly depreciated. I was really surprised after a good combine performance that Alex Barnes went undrafted. It appears that if you are not an elite player at that position, that you will have to make your way on to a roster in training camp. The game has changed from the run setting up the pass, to more of just running the ball enough to keep defenses honest. There are still a few teams that place a high value on the run game, but not a lot.

stlcatfan
Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by stlcatfan » May 14th, 2019, 5:20 pm

KCCATFAN wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 9:38 am
I have noticed that the value of running backs has greatly depreciated. I was really surprised after a good combine performance that Alex Barnes went undrafted. It appears that if you are not an elite player at that position, that you will have to make your way on to a roster in training camp. The game has changed from the run setting up the pass, to more of just running the ball enough to keep defenses honest. There are still a few teams that place a high value on the run game, but not a lot.
Good observation. After Barnes' excellent performance at the combine, I was almost certain he was going to get drafted. Hopefully, he will stick with someone in the NFL.

wazucat
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by wazucat » May 15th, 2019, 1:51 am

KCCATFAN wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 9:38 am
Seems there is a pro team in the Boston area the values a running game their name escapes me though.

iowa_wildcat
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by iowa_wildcat » May 15th, 2019, 5:53 am

It will be at least 4 years before the NFL draft will indicate which of the new staffs at KU and K-State are doing better at recruiting.

ksuatheart
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Post by ksuatheart » May 17th, 2019, 5:55 am

But we'll be able to see if either staff have been able to coach up players that weren't prospects before then, probably within 2 years. And if they have, it may muddy the waters if Klieman is a bit like Snider, taking unappreciated kids and turning them into draftable players. Were they going to be that good anywhere they went, or only because Klieman's staff coached them from undraftable into solid draftable players?