Duke Shelley to the Bears

The defending Big XII Champions
ksusmcsgtmaj
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pick 'Em

Re: Duke Shelley to the Bears

Post by ksusmcsgtmaj » May 8th, 2019, 9:16 am

HCBS wasn't perfect, but he set the bar high when it came to running a clean, moral program. Again, perfect? Far from it, but that's another discussion. We're all interested to see what happens. I for one, an optimistic. As for HCBS's departure - it was inevitable...just as Paterno's, Bowden's, Beamer's, etc etc...some were happy to see it, some weren't, that's just the product of a diverse fan base and the human element.

Can't control what KU does. I speak only for myself when saying I like competitive rivalries. I don't care how good KU gets, as long as KSU is better...if both are good, that's good for the Big12 and the state. Frankly, I'd like the "Sunflower Showdown" to be pivotal for the conference and have national implications instead of being a joke to the rest of the FBS.

Anyway, back to Duke Shelley. Congrats to him!

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 8th, 2019, 9:26 am

very few k-state fans that i know personally were upset when bill snyder retired.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » May 8th, 2019, 9:36 am

mustang wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 8:31 am
I will be interested to see if the experiment of going away from the Snyder model works. Based strictly on how consistent and solid Snyder was for such a long period of time and other than Snyder there has been no winning at K-State I will be surprised if the new guy does real well. As stated earlier, I am a SMU guy but I always admired Bill Snyder for what he stood for. I detect there are some in the K-State fan base that are sensitive when the subject of Snyder being forced out as coach, sounds like a divided fan base in some cases. In my work I travel and get to interact with a good number of K-State and KU fans, and do detect some uneasiness among K-State people with KU hiring Les Miles.

I am not sure if you have paid much attention to Coach Klieman, but he is not real far from the Snyder model. Much of what he does is very similar to what Snyder did, but obviously with a few wrinkles of his own. I would have to ask you what you mean when you even say the "Snyder model?"

Not sure what you are talking about with the divided fanbase stuff either. I am quite certain if you go to message boards of every team you will find what you might call a divided fanbase because people have different opinions on everything. From the standpoint of this board, pretty much everyone loved and adored Coach Snyder and everything that he has done for KSU, but there were a number of fans that felt the program had become pretty stale and the world has changed and many felt it was time for a change, partially for football and much more just for Coach Snyder and his legacy and his health.

As for Miles, don't really care, he is 65 years old and had average success at OSU and good success at LSU for a while. KU is not LSU. I actually felt like Beatty was doing about as well as Miles will do. Fans and KU people just don't care about football.

mustang

Post by mustang » May 8th, 2019, 10:17 am

My thought was a coach who had ties to Bill Snyder would be the selection. The only names I saw associated with the job were Seth Littrell, Neal Brown and klieman. It was never clear to me, whether or not Littrell was offered the job or not. I will be quite interested to see what Miles does at Kansas, he clearly has a great resume and will create interest.

02Cat

Pick 'Em

Post by 02Cat » May 8th, 2019, 11:19 am

I think Duke has a great chance to be a contributor for the Bears. He plays bigger than his height and is full of confidence. Let's hope he remains healthy.
Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

wazucat

Post by wazucat » May 9th, 2019, 10:30 am

Duke may make the squad on his kick return skills alone, wouldn't be the first Cat to get a NFL paycheck that way.