so, had k-state beat isu after holding a large lead ...

The defending Big XII Champions
tmcats

Pick 'Em

so, had k-state beat isu after holding a large lead ...

Post by tmcats » April 23rd, 2019, 12:36 pm

think how different it would be today. obviously, ck wouldn't be coaching here or would he? would gene have fired bill after a bowl season? methinks not. bill wouldn't be on the rubber chicken tour. sean would be special teams guru. coleman wouldn't be in texas, nor dickey in stillwater. all that would have changed had k-state done what we had hoped and cheered for at the close, held the lead and beaten isu. will k-state be better for losing it, gosh, i guess we'll have to wait and see? :roll:
Why is there something rather than nothing?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » April 23rd, 2019, 12:48 pm

How would Snyder have handled the RB situation? That would have been the most pressing concern going forward.

The other concern I would have would be the QB situation. Would Skylar have stayed under Snyder if Delton was still around?

In the end, Snyder's career was coming to a close, it just needed a "negative" season to do so. Eventually, things were going to catch up and there would be a losing season, it just happened last year. Could have easily happened the next year as well. Or maybe Snyder retired on his own before moving on to a new QB after Skylar graduated. Or maybe he wanted to give assistants a few more years to take over for him. Who knows.

82catfan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by 82catfan » April 23rd, 2019, 8:24 pm

Bill was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2017 which probably had more to do with his retirement than season records or any fan discontent. Try dealing with surgery, radiation therapy and chemo when you are 78. I am sure it was a physical struggle just to make through last season.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 23rd, 2019, 9:04 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 12:36 pm
think how different it would be today. obviously, ck wouldn't be coaching here or would he? would gene have fired bill after a bowl season? methinks not. bill wouldn't be on the rubber chicken tour. sean would be special teams guru. coleman wouldn't be in texas, nor dickey in stillwater. all that would have changed had k-state done what we had hoped and cheered for at the close, held the lead and beaten isu. will k-state be better for losing it, gosh, i guess we'll have to wait and see? :roll:
As sick as I was at how we lost that game, I now look back on it as a blessing in disguise. If we had held on and won, we likely would have gone to a bowl game, which means it would have been late December - at the earliest - before Coach Snyder was going to think about retirement. And I imagine it would have been the same ol' situation of him needing to sit down and talk to his family (after the season was over) about his future before making a decision on coming back for another season.

So we are looking at early-to-mid January before any decisions will have been made regarding retirement. Then you still have the whole interview process to go through (assuming Coach Snyder decided to retire). It could have been the end of January before a new coach was hired. That would have meant the new coach would have had no time to put together a coaching staff and recruit his own players before National Signing Day, let alone the early signing period in December. At that point, our best option would have been for Coach Snyder to come back for the 2019 season, which I would hope he would announce was going to be his last.

Don't get me wrong. I will be eternally grateful for what Coach Snyder did for K-State football, but I really felt like it was time for him to pass the baton. His advanced age, along with fighting cancer, just made it too difficult for him to continue to effectively run the program. The program was already starting to slide. Coach Klieman now has the opportunity to carry on what Coach Snyder started at K-State.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

NealyFan

Post by NealyFan » April 23rd, 2019, 9:54 pm

If we hand’t lost any games, we would have been in the playoffs.
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder