pay to watch has come to k-state and b12 ...

The defending Big XII Champions
ArKSU

Re: pay to watch has come to k-state and b12 ...

Post by ArKSU » April 10th, 2019, 4:01 pm

I am in Omaha with 75 to 100 Mbps most of the time
I would sell all 5 of my younger sisters just to get 5Mps
A worried man with a worried mind
People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » April 10th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Our internet sucks balls, Direct isn't always on top of things either. I guess that's the price I pay for a quiet life in the country.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 10th, 2019, 4:57 pm

So this takes games off of the Fox networks or just foxsportskc? Games removed from either are not a plus in my opinion. And any games on ESPN+ I will no longer be able to record on my dvr when I’m not able to watch and then watch when I’m able.

Count me as one who’s not initially very excited or happy about this move. But hopefully it turns out better than I envision.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » April 10th, 2019, 4:58 pm

hilltopwildcat wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 4:49 pm
Our internet sucks balls, Direct isn't always on top of things either. I guess that's the price I pay for a quiet life in the country.
I'm in the same boat. I have Dish and it works well, but streaming Satellite Internet just doesn't work. Streaming from the phone as a hotspot is a little better, but still a lot of limitations.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » April 10th, 2019, 5:01 pm

KsJoey wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 4:58 pm
hilltopwildcat wrote:
I'm in the same boat. I have Dish and it works well, but streaming Satellite Internet just doesn't work. Streaming from the phone as a hotspot is a little better, but still a lot of limitations.
Neighbor 4 miles east, halfway to the interstate, has been doing his TV that way for quite awhile now. If I crawled up on my bins now, with a pair of binoculars I could probably see his house.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » April 10th, 2019, 5:41 pm

There are three sets of rights to broadcast the games. The top two go to ABC/ESPN and FOX. Then you have tier 3. That used to be KSUHD but will be ESPN+ starting this fall. It is cheaper and gives much more content.

This article gives more info and says all the other Big 12 teams outside OU and texas will be on but some not this season. LHN is costing us money and they are having a hard time finding content and viewers. They need to pull their heads out of bevo and let the entire league have the Big 12 channel.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor ... ement-espn
Win the dang day!

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » April 10th, 2019, 6:23 pm

I paid for espn+ to watch b-ball games in other conferences this winter. I liked it. Steaming is the future of television. I use Roku. Going to add sling, espn+ and an antenna and will be able to watch all I want, drop the cable bill, and save over $200 a month.

As customers drop cable, what will happen to cable television and the revenue the leagues bring in?

iowa_wildcat

Post by iowa_wildcat » April 10th, 2019, 6:29 pm

This is all about the MONEY. K-StateHD-TV was and is free. It is tough to beat that. Anyone that wants to see the opening game now will either have to buy a ticket or spend $4.99 on ESPN+.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 10th, 2019, 6:29 pm

hilltopwildcat wrote:
I would easily trade a quiet life in the country for slower Internet. I'm jealous. ;-)
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 10th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Hypeman wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 6:23 pm
I paid for espn+ to watch b-ball games in other conferences this winter. I liked it. Steaming is the future of television. I use Roku. Going to add sling, espn+ and an antenna and will be able to watch all I want, drop the cable bill, and save over $200 a month.

As customers drop cable, what will happen to cable television and the revenue the leagues bring in?
I've wondered the same thing. ESPN and Fox will get some customers back through streaming services, but with cable, everybody (even non-sports fans) had to pay for it. I'm sure they will find other revenue streams somewhere along the way.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln