AAF folds today

Post by Zoltar » April 2nd, 2019, 2:24 pm

Win the dang day!

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 2nd, 2019, 2:41 pm

Michael Rothstein
ESPN Staff Writer

After eight weeks of games and less than one season into its existence, the Alliance of American Football is suspending operations, a source told ESPN on Tuesday, confirming multiple reports.

was it on tv?
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » April 2nd, 2019, 4:12 pm

NFL Network
Win the dang day!

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » April 2nd, 2019, 5:04 pm

I think it was on CBSSports also. I never saw a single game/play/highlight. Talking heads raved about it and the ratings after a week or two, but XFL (original) had great ratings too. (Btw, the XFL reboot will also bomb and I don't even know if it will make it to it's first game next year. IMO)

The only way that I think AAF can succeed is if they come out w 32 teams with each one representing a minor league team for a specific franchise. Even then, I would still have my doubts.

I just don't think anyone is looking for spring/summer football, but there is zero chance of success in the fall going at the same time as both the NFL and college. Maybe if they did games on Tuesday's and Wednesdays in the fall???

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » April 2nd, 2019, 9:13 pm

The XFL screwed up and the AAF followed their stupidity. You don't start a new football league season (an inferior one to boot) right after the Superbowl and NFL concluded their season. Fans have overload that time of year and are ready for a break in the offseason from the NFL. They take time to go on spring break, snow skiing, vacation, watch a little baseball, NBA, Hockey, etc. These leagues needed to start their seasons around June once fans are done with the NBA and Hockey seasons and the NFL hasn't started yet, especially after the baseball has been in full swing and a lot of teams are already out of it. Fans start to really crank up the interest in football around July and in the dog days of summer. That's when fans are ready to watch anything but baseball, NBA, Hockey. AAF could have been johnny on the spot for NFL fans being ready for some football before the NFL started up. If they were putting a decent product on the field, it would have caught on and been a good kick off for the NFL preseason, then NFL regular season.

But trying to kick that off right after the NFL concluded was dumb, really dumb. I can see why it failed.
EMAW

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 3rd, 2019, 10:07 am

yep. there's just so much football from august through january. i'm sick of it and ready for basketball, the tournament and all. i do think some sort of minor league system might work, like in baseball, or the g'league. but not this kind of unrelated platform. i never watched a minute, and i'm a rabid sports fan.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Credulum
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Credulum » April 3rd, 2019, 10:35 am

Tbonespop wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 9:13 pm
The XFL screwed up and the AAF followed their stupidity. You don't start a new football league season (an inferior one to boot) right after the Superbowl and NFL concluded their season. Fans have overload that time of year and are ready for a break in the offseason from the NFL. They take time to go on spring break, snow skiing, vacation, watch a little baseball, NBA, Hockey, etc. These leagues needed to start their seasons around June once fans are done with the NBA and Hockey seasons and the NFL hasn't started yet, especially after the baseball has been in full swing and a lot of teams are already out of it. Fans start to really crank up the interest in football around July and in the dog days of summer. That's when fans are ready to watch anything but baseball, NBA, Hockey. AAF could have been johnny on the spot for NFL fans being ready for some football before the NFL started up. If they were putting a decent product on the field, it would have caught on and been a good kick off for the NFL preseason, then NFL regular season.

But trying to kick that off right after the NFL concluded was dumb, really dumb. I can see why it failed.
I think a requirement would be that the team has to have an indoor stadium to play in if you are going to have them play in June/July. The heat would be so brutal that you almost have to do that for safety of the players. But it would be a great time to start especially with a lot of the undrafted free agents coming out of college and able to showcase their abilities.

ArKSU

Post by ArKSU » April 3rd, 2019, 1:59 pm

As with Fried Checkin or Steak, football is good any/all the time.

Was the AAF great? No, not really,however, they were better than trying to watch what the ACC calls football.

As for BasquetBalle, I give that to anyone who wants it -- yes, I played and coached BasquetteBalle, BUT

BasquetteBalle is a winter ACTIVITY to keep actual athletes in shape for Actual Sports.
********************************************************************************************************

In 1891, under direction from Dr. Luther Gulick, the head of the School, Naismith was given 14 days to create an indoor game that would provide an "athletic distraction": Gulick demanded that it would not take up much room, could help its track athletes to keep in shape[8] and explicitly emphasized to "make it fair for all players and not too rough."

http://www.historybits.com/basketball.htm
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Ways To Make BasquetteBalle A Better Activity Experience

1) Each Activity Group is allowed to play 1 O-N-E game per week
2) Activity Groups will play against other Groups in their own Division: i.e., FBS BasquetteBalle Activity Groups may only play other FBS Activity Groups; FCS Activity Groups may only play other FCS Activity Groups, DII v DII Etc.

3) Schools who do not participate in NCAA/NAIA sanctioned Football Conferences may ONLY compete  against other non-Football BasquetteBalle Activity Groups.

4) Each level of BasquetteBalle Activity Groups MAY choose to have a National Playoff to determine a  Champion
     4.A) Each level's Championship Activity will consist of a "Tournament" in which the top 8 (Eight) 
            Activity Groups are placed into 2 brackets of 4(Four) Activity Groups.

4.B) The Activity Group "Championship" will take place over 3 (Three) consecutive nights

4,C) All Levels of the BasquetteBalle "Championships" will be conducted on the same 3 (Three)   
             Nights
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A worried man with a worried mind
People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » April 3rd, 2019, 9:18 pm

No offense intended Ark and welcome to the forum but WTF did you just type?

ArKSU

Post by ArKSU » April 4th, 2019, 1:58 am

No offense intended Ark and welcome to the forum but WTF did you just type?
No offense taken. It just that I believe that American Football was a gift from God while other sports, BasquetteBalle, Tennis, Track and Field, Base ball, Jai-Lai, volleyball, and all the rest are nothing more than Physical Activities to prepare one to play Football.

There are so many stinking BasquetteBalle games and people's insanity about them drives me crazy.

I was a 2nd generation athlete/coach High School and College. My father primarily coached in Southern states and by the time I was 12 I had seen more BasquetteBalle than anybody but pro scouts.

Two years of High School in a Southern state prep school was Football year round (heaven) but then we moved to Kansas when there was no real College Football here so everything revolved around that "school to the east of Manhattan" and BasquetteBalle and Track with no real Field power to complement it.

So I have presented a Proper Placing for how BasquetteBalle should return to what it was intended to be --- a way to keep in shape for Track(Sprints, Sprint relays, Field events) which all greatly improve the quality of Football.

My God, in one place I was Head Football Coach, my main Asst. got the School Board to emphasize BasquetteBalle, the Mile, 2 Mile and 2 Mile "Relay" even for linemen and LBs. No weight training.

Also, I can remember when I had players get scholarships to KSU and I would come watch games, I could get there 10 minutes before kickoff and still have nearly any seat in the stadium. Long time ago(yes, I am an old phart but only want to know how to phart about Football.)

Sorry about the tome of an answer, but you know how Old Pharts are. Go Cats!! I will miss HOFCBS. But Go HCCK!!
A worried man with a worried mind
People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed