Barnes in Combine

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
farrout10
Posts: 90
Joined: December 13th, 2018, 3:40 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 20 times

Barnes in Combine

Post by farrout10 » February 28th, 2019, 6:54 pm

43 minutes ago · Former K-State running back Alex Barnes set one of the highest bench press numbers in 16 years on Thursday.
These users liked farrout10 for the post:
Hypeman (February 28th, 2019, 7:19 pm)

Wyocat
Posts: 16
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 10:56 am
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Wyocat » February 28th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Also Dalton Risner had a great interview. Normally they cut off the interviews at 15 minutes. After 25 minutes, people were still wanting to ask him more questions. Being from Wiggins, CO it was on the Denver news. However, they never once mentioned where he went to college.

User avatar
Kid In the Hall
Posts: 106
Joined: September 30th, 2017, 5:18 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Kid In the Hall » March 1st, 2019, 2:16 pm

Barnes ran a 4.55 today - certainly not blazing, but will probably put him in the middle of the pack. Given his size and the reps on the bench press, that's a pretty solid time. Among others, it was faster than Myles Gaskin (4.56), Benny Snell (4.65) and David Montgomery (4.62).

User avatar
Jax
Posts: 1046
Joined: May 19th, 2014, 12:38 am
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Jax » March 1st, 2019, 2:17 pm

Barnes' prospect grade is 5.27 at the NFL combine. Not sure I am surprised he ran a 4.55 in the 40.
We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. - Anais Nin

DrJamesANaismith
Posts: 18
Joined: December 22nd, 2018, 10:47 am
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by DrJamesANaismith » March 1st, 2019, 2:21 pm

Jax wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 2:17 pm
Barnes' prospect grade is 5.27 at the NFL combine. Not sure I am surprised he ran a 4.55 in the 40.
Looks like the No. 23 RB on their list

User avatar
Jax
Posts: 1046
Joined: May 19th, 2014, 12:38 am
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Jax » March 1st, 2019, 3:50 pm

Kid In the Hall wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 2:16 pm
Barnes ran a 4.55 today - certainly not blazing, but will probably put him in the middle of the pack. Given his size and the reps on the bench press, that's a pretty solid time. Among others, it was faster than Myles Gaskin (4.56), Benny Snell (4.65) and David Montgomery (4.62).
It's not his quickness that concerns me. Barnes has a good first step, but does not have open field speed. I know someone will say he has broken long touchdowns which is true. But usually it's a result of being untouched coming out of the backfield and the defense not realizing he has the ball until too late.
We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. - Anais Nin

User avatar
Kid In the Hall
Posts: 106
Joined: September 30th, 2017, 5:18 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Kid In the Hall » March 1st, 2019, 4:03 pm

Jax wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 3:50 pm
Kid In the Hall wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 2:16 pm
Barnes ran a 4.55 today - certainly not blazing, but will probably put him in the middle of the pack. Given his size and the reps on the bench press, that's a pretty solid time. Among others, it was faster than Myles Gaskin (4.56), Benny Snell (4.65) and David Montgomery (4.62).
It's not his quickness that concerns me. Barnes has a good first step, but does not have open field speed. I know someone will say he has broken long touchdowns which is true. But usually it's a result of being untouched coming out of the backfield and the defense not realizing he has the ball until too late.
He did very well in the vertical (38.5 inches - 3rd best) and broad jumps (126 inches - 5th best) - we'll see how he does in the cone and shuttle drills...

So far, Justice Hill is tearing it up and looking like the most athletic RB in the draft (by far).

User avatar
Kid In the Hall
Posts: 106
Joined: September 30th, 2017, 5:18 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Kid In the Hall » March 1st, 2019, 8:43 pm

Barnes ran a 6.95 on the 3-cone, a 4.1 second 20-yard shuttle and 11.72 60-yard shuttle. Those are very strong numbers for a 225 lb back.

He likely made himself a lot of money today...

Tbonespop
Posts: 1278
Joined: September 2nd, 2013, 10:37 pm
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 150 times

Post by Tbonespop » March 1st, 2019, 9:15 pm

I wouldn't trust the NFL combine draft tracker/comments anymore than I'd trust recruiting rankings for individual players (which I don't). Yes, Barnes didn't have blazing fast 40 speed, but he's a full size back. Regardless of his size, he was still mid-pack. There are numerous big backs in the NFL that are bruisers that don't have break away speed. Look at the measurables from the kid from Alabama. Barnes smoked him in every category - but Barnes is from lil ole KSU and he was from Bama, therefore he's a future NFL starter and Barnes is a back up or ST player. I think Barnes will go in the 4-5th round and I think he makes a roster. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sharing reps as a primary back in the NFL.

He's a lot more athletic than I ever thought he was based on his combine performance. I just thought he was a big, strong guy with good vision. But he's got the fast twitch muscles based on those numbers. What impressed me the most was his vertical jump. For a big guy, that's very solid.

kinsleycat
Posts: 1437
Joined: September 4th, 2013, 8:42 pm
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by kinsleycat » March 1st, 2019, 10:12 pm

One thing I always liked about Alex was his ability to finish off a run. He'll lower his shoulder and punish anyone who's foolish enough to try and tackle him high.

Post Reply