wefald proposes b12/p12 alliance ...

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
Hypeman
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 72 times

Re: wefald proposes b12/p12 alliance ...

Post by Hypeman » March 5th, 2019, 6:39 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 12:45 pm
Hypeman wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Make it easier! That sounds like a good idea. Not! Hand out degrees and they will come. That might work for a while until employers get wind of it.
i believe the idea is to reduce the hours required for graduation to 120 as best i can recall. when i taught, a lot of students told me many of their classes were worthless adventures into boredom. i have no way of judging that other than from their comments. but the feedback was not good about some of the offerings.
They already did that and from what I hear there is a desire to push that down even more credit hours so students can be awarded masters degrees in slightly more time than they used to get bachelors. There is a point when people start to refer to you as a diploma mill and efforts to make it easier become counter productive. I will suggest KSU is at that point.

I also hear from a pal in the know that next years enrollment will be “ugly” and have another large drop. I’m not sure what that means but I suspect it means in the 14k FTE range since KSU started this year at 16. Soon KSU will be the 3rd or 4th largest school in “Kansas”.

Frankly, it has been stated on here that all schools are on the decline. That is not true at all and not the trend at other land grant schools with similar STEM majors to KSU. Those schools are generally trending up nationwide, often having to cap enrollment. The more liberal arts focused schools are typically the ones on the steep decline.

I normally say it is cool to be the contrarian, but in this case it is not.

Opensource
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Opensource » March 5th, 2019, 8:26 pm

We lost Kirk, Provost, Dean of Ag, etc. The only ones left couldn’t get jobs. Had to hire an old General for Pres. Need. New President hired by a new Board of Regents.
These users liked Opensource for the post (total 2):
Hypeman (March 5th, 2019, 9:17 pm) • tmcats (March 6th, 2019, 10:04 am)

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 5th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Opensource wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 8:26 pm
We lost Kirk, Provost, Dean of Ag, etc. The only ones left couldn’t get jobs. Had to hire an old General for Pres. Need. New President hired by a new Board of Regents.
Precisely. Don’t forget the dean of engineering, dean of business, distinguished professors etc. The good ones left or are on the way out. A cesspool is left. It goes down to deans, heads, etc too. Mostly internal promotions because they couldn’t hire externally or 5th or 6th choice on the external hires. The old provost stayed until she retired because she couldn’t get another job. She was openly a candidate for positions all over the country but she couldn’t get hired. She stayed out of necessity, then left the place in a shambles. Most of her hires are incompetent. The decline in enrollment is a function of mismanagement over the last 3 to 5 years.

Drain the swamp.

powercat5000
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by powercat5000 » March 5th, 2019, 11:03 pm

This thread is depressing, hopefully things get turned around soon as far as enrollment goes.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 6th, 2019, 9:04 am

New bowl lineups just announced makes it appear that the PAC-12, SEC, and Big-10 are building alliances. Will the P5 become the Big 3?

tmcats
Has liked: 484 times
Been liked: 284 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 6th, 2019, 10:05 am

i thought kirk leaving was a huge, huge lose. and then the replacement just didn't make a lick of sense.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

ToledoCat#2
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 92 times

Post by ToledoCat#2 » March 6th, 2019, 10:40 am

Back in the enlightened ages -- 1960-64 -- it took me 136 credit hours to get a B.S. degree. That was 17 credit hours per semester for 4 years. Now, the required hours are around 120 or less. How can the degrees earned these days be as comprehensive as back in my day?

As an aside, the whole higher education scene at KSU and KS as a whole would improve greatly if agriculture was a thrivingly profitable state industry. It is not due to decades old national decision to provide relatively cheap food to the masses rather than see to it that enough earned income enters the economy each year, through profitable commodity prices, to make the economy thrive via the natural trade turn of 5 to 7.

National food and trade policy, coupled with incompetent commodity market regulators, keeps agriculture sucking the hind teat and the Kansas economy, and its higher education system, suffers accordingly.
These users liked ToledoCat#2 for the post:
Hypeman (March 6th, 2019, 11:24 am)

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 6th, 2019, 11:22 am

farming is in a down cycle coming off an incredible high when farmers got rich driven in large part by government subsidies to produce fuel from corn. a large part of the university problem is, yes, cost but also full employment. youngsters can go to one or two-year trade school and make a great living.

kswildcat
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by kswildcat » March 6th, 2019, 12:14 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 11:22 am
farming is in a down cycle coming off an incredible high when farmers got rich driven in large part by government subsidies to produce fuel from corn. a large part of the university problem is, yes, cost but also full employment. youngsters can go to one or two-year trade school and make a great living.
Wow, tm ! I think you should refrain from commenting on a segment of the economy you obviously know nothing about. This is a football forum not an anti-ethanol forum for those that know little about farming. Farmers did make a decent profit for a couple of years and are now selling grain below the cost of production. While ethanol demand does increase the price of corn, wheat and soybeans were also more profitable a few years ago and that has next to nothing to do with ethanol demand.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 6th, 2019, 12:38 pm

kswildcat wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 12:14 pm
tmcats wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 11:22 am
Wow, tm ! I think you should refrain from commenting on a segment of the economy you obviously know nothing about. This is a football forum not an anti-ethanol forum for those that know little about farming. Farmers did make a decent profit for a couple of years and are now selling grain below the cost of production. While ethanol demand does increase the price of corn, wheat and soybeans were also more profitable a few years ago and that has next to nothing to do with ethanol demand.
lol. protein like dollars is fungible. the government-to-farm feed trough, particularly with ethanol, was/is an embarrassment to free enterprise. as someone coming from the oil patch, don't get me started. :x