snyder museum ...

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
wild@nite
Posts: 1815
Joined: February 28th, 2018, 1:35 pm
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 230 times

Re: snyder museum ...

Post by wild@nite » February 14th, 2019, 7:02 pm

powercat5000 wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 6:07 pm
How about a Kansas state sports museum instead? I think putting all sports with former ksu athletes would be much better than a bill snyder appreciation museum.
Yes. This ^^^. Coach would be the first one to tell you he agreed, I'm betting.

Opensource
Posts: 594
Joined: September 16th, 2017, 7:14 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Opensource » February 14th, 2019, 7:39 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 4:24 pm
lol, then-commissioners jim sherow and bruce sneed aren't exactly far-right reactionaries. both k-state academics. and both good dudes.
Didn’t the whole star bonds idea for downtown redevelopment start with a conservative dominated city commission following Kent Glascock’s silly Kansas policy? Was Sherow even on the Commission? My memory is that Sherow was elected to clean up the Dial mess, and firing Dial to create a Blue Earth Plaza, rather than your north strip mall with pocket parks was the best thing that happened to the downtown redevelopment. Now, if you want to suggest that the content of the museum is poor due to a badly executed museum by the consulting conpsny I would agree. This is where we are at with the Bill Snyder museum. Headed toward something that takes taxes to provide developers with more revenue.

Hypeman
Posts: 668
Joined: December 16th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Hypeman » February 14th, 2019, 9:32 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 5:08 pm
well, people at the university feel differently and the city needs an attraction. i certainly understand the feelings ^^^. i share them, actually. but we badly need this project. hold thy nose and vote yea? or cut it off to spite thy face?
What people at the University are you referring to? A figurehead president? Or the athletic dept? A few wealthy donors that want to be athletic dept. cronies?

I would venture to bet if you put this in front of the 1000’s of faculty who collectively are the university, you would get zero support. Actually I’d bet my left $@& on it.

Today would be a good day to ask them since the university announced it doesn’t have money to pay for the basic library resources, subscriptions, etc. that students and faculty rely on to do their daily jobs. A top 50 research university without research resources. Hmm. That’s not going to work out well. I would venture that the construction of a Snyder museum at this point would be the first step towards a faculty union.

Hypeman
Posts: 668
Joined: December 16th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Hypeman » February 14th, 2019, 10:01 pm


tmcats
Posts: 4628
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 343 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 15th, 2019, 11:33 am

Opensource wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 7:39 pm
tmcats wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 4:24 pm
lol, then-commissioners jim sherow and bruce sneed aren't exactly far-right reactionaries. both k-state academics. and both good dudes.
Didn’t the whole star bonds idea for downtown redevelopment start with a conservative dominated city commission following Kent Glascock’s silly Kansas policy? Was Sherow even on the Commission? My memory is that Sherow was elected to clean up the Dial mess, and firing Dial to create a Blue Earth Plaza, rather than your north strip mall with pocket parks was the best thing that happened to the downtown redevelopment. Now, if you want to suggest that the content of the museum is poor due to a badly executed museum by the consulting conpsny I would agree. This is where we are at with the Bill Snyder museum. Headed toward something that takes taxes to provide developers with more revenue.
you can argue star bonds are bad for mhk if you choose. i feel the opposite.

the major issue with the downtown redevelopment project was the discovery center theme. people referred to it then as the 'weed museum.' it has proven to be financially a dumb idea. sherow and sneed were both strong advocates when it was approved while serving with hardeman, pepperd and strawn. star bonds themselves were approved earlier by the phillips, hardeman, hatesohl, sneed, strawn commission. and sherow didn't fire dial. he gave them millions to exit the development contract. a huge and costly loss to taxpayers.

these snyder museum star bonds will be used for infrastructure, not development, other than the museum itself. the $40 million project is on tuesday's city commission agenda. renderings are included below.


https://cityofmhk.com/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/6669
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

tmcats
Posts: 4628
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 343 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 15th, 2019, 11:46 am

Hypeman wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 9:32 pm
tmcats wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 5:08 pm
well, people at the university feel differently and the city needs an attraction. i certainly understand the feelings ^^^. i share them, actually. but we badly need this project. hold thy nose and vote yea? or cut it off to spite thy face?
What people at the University are you referring to? A figurehead president? Or the athletic dept? A few wealthy donors that want to be athletic dept. cronies?

I would venture to bet if you put this in front of the 1000’s of faculty who collectively are the university, you would get zero support. Actually I’d bet my left $@& on it.

Today would be a good day to ask them since the university announced it doesn’t have money to pay for the basic library resources, subscriptions, etc. that students and faculty rely on to do their daily jobs. A top 50 research university without research resources. Hmm. That’s not going to work out well. I would venture that the construction of a Snyder museum at this point would be the first step towards a faculty union.
generally, the university means the president and staff, e.g. gene taylor, sue peterson, pat bosco, and the like. i'm absolutely sure bill snyder has approved this conceptually. and there's always a natural uneasiness between faculty and athletics. but that goes way deeper than this just this museum concept.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

Opensource
Posts: 594
Joined: September 16th, 2017, 7:14 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Opensource » February 15th, 2019, 3:19 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 15th, 2019, 11:33 am
Opensource wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 7:39 pm
Didn’t the whole star bonds idea for downtown redevelopment start with a conservative dominated city commission following Kent Glascock’s silly Kansas policy? Was Sherow even on the Commission? My memory is that Sherow was elected to clean up the Dial mess, and firing Dial to create a Blue Earth Plaza, rather than your north strip mall with pocket parks was the best thing that happened to the downtown redevelopment. Now, if you want to suggest that the content of the museum is poor due to a badly executed museum by the consulting conpsny I would agree. This is where we are at with the Bill Snyder museum. Headed toward something that takes taxes to provide developers with more revenue.
you can argue star bonds are bad for mhk if you choose. i feel the opposite.

the major issue with the downtown redevelopment project was the discovery center theme. people referred to it then as the 'weed museum.' it has proven to be financially a dumb idea. sherow and sneed were both strong advocates when it was approved while serving with hardeman, pepperd and strawn. star bonds themselves were approved earlier by the phillips, hardeman, hatesohl, sneed, strawn commission. and sherow didn't fire dial. he gave them millions to exit the development contract. a huge and costly loss to taxpayers.

these snyder museum star bonds will be used for infrastructure, not development, other than the museum itself. the $40 million project is on tuesday's city commission agenda. renderings are included below.


https://cityofmhk.com/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/6669
Star Bonds have been effective in some places https://www.cjonline.com/special/201806 ... -few-flops. I look at the free market strip mall where K-Mart used to be and the North Redevelopment taxpayer funded strip mall and ask where taxpayer dollars went to? So, it appears that you say we can blame the conservatives (Phillips, Hatesohl, and Strawn) for going down the path of using Star Bonds and hiring Dial. That is my point. Not academics or liberals. Then, it appears that you blame the more liberal commission for choosing the Museum. If your timeline is correct, I think that is fair since power shifted. But, I don't remember any better option offered by the conservatives that got us into the mess. And, by firing Dial (similar to firing Bill Snyder it cost money) I do think that the south redevelopment is a community asset. If we hadn't done that we wouldn't have Blue Earth Plaza. By the way, love that Dial defined restaurant in the hotel that the conservatives held up as a mixed use development. Ha.

Hypeman
Posts: 668
Joined: December 16th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Hypeman » February 15th, 2019, 3:24 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 15th, 2019, 11:33 am
Opensource wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 7:39 pm


Didn’t the whole star bonds idea for downtown redevelopment start with a conservative dominated city commission following Kent Glascock’s silly Kansas policy? Was Sherow even on the Commission? My memory is that Sherow was elected to clean up the Dial mess, and firing Dial to create a Blue Earth Plaza, rather than your north strip mall with pocket parks was the best thing that happened to the downtown redevelopment. Now, if you want to suggest that the content of the museum is poor due to a badly executed museum by the consulting conpsny I would agree. This is where we are at with the Bill Snyder museum. Headed toward something that takes taxes to provide developers with more revenue.
you can argue star bonds are bad for mhk if you choose. i feel the opposite.

the major issue with the downtown redevelopment project was the discovery center theme. people referred to it then as the 'weed museum.' it has proven to be financially a dumb idea. sherow and sneed were both strong advocates when it was approved while serving with hardeman, pepperd and strawn. star bonds themselves were approved earlier by the phillips, hardeman, hatesohl, sneed, strawn commission. and sherow didn't fire dial. he gave them millions to exit the development contract. a huge and costly loss to taxpayers.

these snyder museum star bonds will be used for infrastructure, not development, other than the museum itself. the $40 million project is on tuesday's city commission agenda. renderings are included below.


https://cityofmhk.com/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/6669
Thanks TM. I can’t say I know enough to render an educated opinion but I suspect the $41 mil of infrastructure is necessary and important. The document notes that a KSU/MHK partnership will pay $10 million of the project? But. Seems reasonable. However, the footnote states that the $41 mil doesn’t include the Snyder Center? That’s estimated at another $10 mil. I wonder who pays for that?

On the surface, I’d support the infrastructure, not the additional $10 for another museum. That seems like pure waste that smells a little like pork.

Thanks again for the information.

tmcats
Posts: 4628
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 343 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 15th, 2019, 5:11 pm

star bonds would pay for the museum just as they did the weed museum, cough, flint hills discovery center. the city/university fund would add an additional $10 million to the $15 million from stars. the c/u fund is sales tax collected on campus from stuff like ticket and food sales. it's been used on various projects over the years like sidewalks, landscape, and city park. there would be additional revenue streams necessary to complete funding including property taxes, kdot, and k-state athletics.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

Opensource
Posts: 594
Joined: September 16th, 2017, 7:14 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Opensource » February 15th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Infrastructure is development when the infrastructure isn’t needed unless there is development. Fancy way of saying subsidize development.

Post Reply