snyder museum ...

The defending Big XII Champions
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: snyder museum ...

Post by tmcats » February 14th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Opensource wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 8:54 pm
Star bonds were just bad Kansas tax policy. But, it look like Manhattan will take advantage of it. May be Bill could donate his windfall from contract "extension" he shouldn't have received.
the bad part of star bonds was requiring an 'attraction' rather than allowing local government to spend that revenue on worthy local projects like this north corridor plan. the fact mhk's redevelopment star bonds were paid off 5 years ahead of schedule suggests the method is good, not bad tax policy.

however, the flint hills discovery center theme was wrong from the getgo. everyone knew it at the time. but the city refused to buck university academics and other liberals around town who lobbied for it. it's a waste of a beautiful space today with an annual half-million dollar burn rate footed by local taxpayers.

Why is there something rather than nothing?

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 14th, 2019, 12:48 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 12:22 pm
Opensource wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 8:54 pm
Star bonds were just bad Kansas tax policy. But, it look like Manhattan will take advantage of it. May be Bill could donate his windfall from contract "extension" he shouldn't have received.
the bad part of star bonds was requiring an 'attraction' rather than allowing local government to spend that revenue on worthy local projects like this north corridor plan. the fact mhk's redevelopment star bonds were paid off 5 years ahead of schedule suggests the method is good, not bad tax policy.

however, the flint hills discovery center theme was wrong from the getgo. everyone knew it at the time. but the city refused to buck university academics and liberals around town who lobbied for it. it's a waste of a beautiful space today with an annual half-million dollar burn rate footed by local taxpayers.

Why are you in support of a similar situation on the north side of town? What am I missing?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 14th, 2019, 12:56 pm

i believe local taxes should be spent locally when practical. i don't care for the snyder museum idea but it's not as bad as the discovery center theme. had the discovery center been about kids rather than academics, it would at least have served a high community purpose.

here, the university is willing to operate the snyder museum, unlike the discovery center, at no annual operating cost to mhk taxpayers. the corridor plan is a necessary infrastructure project surrounding the nbaf and stadium. so, like all political things, there are tradeoffs and this one greatly benefits mhk without burdening local taxpayers. so, i strongly support moving forward with it.

Opensource
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Opensource » February 14th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Nice revisionist history TMCats. You know that the discovery center wasn’t a liberal or academic idea. Your use the terms “academic” and “liberal” like they are derogatory terms is really getting tiresome.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 14th, 2019, 4:24 pm

lol, then-commissioners jim sherow and bruce sneed aren't exactly far-right reactionaries. both k-state academics. and both good dudes.

Rusty7777

Post by Rusty7777 » February 14th, 2019, 4:40 pm

I would not be in favor of another Bill Snyder commemorative project at this time. A lot of people aren't thrilled with the $3 million gift that the AD gave him or that Bill hasn't been particularly magnanimous over the way things ended. He's seemed a little petulant lately and rather ungracious. Bill has been deservedly honored with a stadium, highways and who knows what. But enough. It can start to look ridiculous at some point. Maybe something like this will feel right later on, but right now doesn't seem like a good time to do it.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 14th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Rusty7777 wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 4:40 pm
I would not be in favor of another Bill Snyder commemorative project at this time. A lot of people aren't thrilled with the $3 million gift that the AD gave him or that Bill hasn't been particularly magnanimous over the way things ended. He's seemed a little petulant lately and rather ungracious. Bill has been deservedly honored with a stadium, highways and who knows what. But enough. It can start to look ridiculous at some point. Maybe something like this will feel right later on, but right now doesn't seem like a good time to do it.
I agree. I'm all for something in a few years, but right now I'd rather 100% focus be on "moving forward" with Chris Klieman. On top of that, the entire stadium has Bill's name on it, plus a statue. Well deserved, but for now, that's enough imo.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 14th, 2019, 5:08 pm

well, people at the university feel differently and the city needs an attraction. i certainly understand the feelings ^^^. i share them, actually. but we badly need this project. hold thy nose and vote yea? or cut it off to spite thy face?

powercat5000

Post by powercat5000 » February 14th, 2019, 6:07 pm

How about a Kansas state sports museum instead? I think putting all sports with former ksu athletes would be much better than a bill snyder appreciation museum.
Our Freedom Does Not End where Fear Begins

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 14th, 2019, 7:00 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 5:08 pm
well, people at the university feel differently and the city needs an attraction. i certainly understand the feelings ^^^. i share them, actually. but we badly need this project. hold thy nose and vote yea? or cut it off to spite thy face?
A no vote doesn't have to be out of spite. Just not in agreement.