snyder museum ...

The defending Big XII Champions
jabba
Has thanked: 0

Re: snyder museum ...

Post by jabba » February 16th, 2019, 9:53 am

this is what Ill say. I live in MHK and have for some 11 years now. Love the city and KSU. Im trying to sell and get the hell out of MHK AND Riley county altogether. My property tax went up almost 17 percent last year. its gone up every year, year after year. My brother lives here too. Since 2007 his taxes are up 200 percent. When we moved here the city had almost no debt. Now is hundreds of millions in the hole. the build stupid things like the weed museum and yes I call it that because it was a terrible idea and just one of many. its a nice building nobody uses or goes to. people go to blue earth at Christmas or take their kids there in the summer for free swimming so to speak. Im not leaving the area. Im trying to get out of MHK and its aggressive burden on taxpayers to fund stupid things the city doesnt need or cant afford.

jabba

Post by jabba » February 16th, 2019, 9:54 am

so unless Bill wants to foot the Bill or private donations to build and run the place.. NO

ToledoCat#2
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 16th, 2019, 10:30 am

I was considering moving to MHK in the dwindling years of my life, but the tax situation and the zoning rules makes it near impossible.
Think I'll stay out here in the boonies as long as I possibly can where there is no zoning and the property taxes are still outrageous, but not as much as MHK.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 16th, 2019, 10:52 am

government provides sewers, streets, sidewalks, and the like, yes. they are paid for with tax revenues. in this north corridor case, $15 million of the $40 million needed is proposed to come from the sale of star bonds paid for with what would normally be state treasury sales tax revenues collected in mhk's downtown redevelopment area. that tax has been collected there since the development was constructed and will continue to be collected there forevermore. the question is can 5 years' collection of what normally would be state sales tax revenue be used to partially offset the cost of streets, sidewalks, etc. surrounding bsfs and nbaf through the sale of star bonds? in my view, it's an excellent use.

the second question about property taxes here, they are outrageous and the result of liberal city commissions being elected year-after-year. highest property taxes by far for any kansas city of similar size and scope.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Opensource

Post by Opensource » February 16th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Much of MHK's problem is K-State, the bug lab, and other government landholders pay no property taxes and any government institutional purchase does not include sales tax. The other part of the problem is Manhattan should annex the neighborhoods around the city whose residents use city services and who purchase outside of the city limits to avoid paying their fair share. The last major folly was the downtown redevelopment and that was a conservative dominated city commission decision. More recent tax increases were approved by the voters, such as the schools and fitness centers.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 17th, 2019, 9:07 am

tmcats wrote:
February 16th, 2019, 10:52 am
government provides sewers, streets, sidewalks, and the like, yes. they are paid for with tax revenues. in this north corridor case, $15 million of the $40 million needed is proposed to come from the sale of star bonds paid for with what would normally be state treasury sales tax revenues collected in mhk's downtown redevelopment area. that tax has been collected there since the development was constructed and will continue to be collected there forevermore. the question is can 5 years' collection of what normally would be state sales tax revenue be used to partially offset the cost of streets, sidewalks, etc. surrounding bsfs and nbaf through the sale of star bonds? in my view, it's an excellent use.

the second question about property taxes here, they are outrageous and the result of liberal city commissions being elected year-after-year. highest property taxes by far for any kansas city of similar size and scope.
I’m not sure the property taxes are a result of liberals or conservatives, but rather a result of electing and hiring incompetence at the city commission and within the city government, and outright cronyism and good ol boy pork.

Taxes are outrageous because of over development, spending money on infrastructure projects that result in empty developments but pad the pockets of some local consulting and construction firms and developers and remain on the taxpayer’s backs, and poor decision making regarding things like museums. That’s been a collaborative effort of some city leaders, university leaders, and a few local wealthy folks. They claim to be both liberal and Conservative. They have scratched each others backs over the years and fleeced Manhattan taxpayers for countless millions.

I have a bi-partisan compromise for the Snyder museum. How about a Snyder exhibit in the discovery center as a proof of concept?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 17th, 2019, 1:56 pm

I’m not sure the property taxes are a result of liberals or conservatives

as someone very familiar with the process, i'm sure.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

kswildcat

Post by kswildcat » February 17th, 2019, 3:47 pm

I don't live in Manhattan but enjoy the city very much and spend plenty of $$'s there. If I did I would never be in favor of any tax money going to the proposed Snyder museum. The museum needs to be privately funded, no KSU or Manhattan $$'s.

Cooter

Post by Cooter » February 17th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Bill Snyder museum is downright stupid.

He coached football.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 17th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Cooter wrote:
February 17th, 2019, 4:07 pm
Bill Snyder museum is downright stupid.

He coached football.
Word.

There is such a disconnect between local community and university leaders and the rest of the community and University population it is comical. I’m a ‘huge’ KSU sports fan, but some things are just stupid.