snyder museum ...

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
tmcats
Posts: 4628
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 343 times

Pick 'Em

snyder museum ...

Post by tmcats » February 12th, 2019, 5:49 pm

i posted this in another thread causing some consternation for various reasons: the plan is to use star bond funding to pay off these north corridor infrastructure bonds. sales tax is collected in the new redevelopment area downtown to pay them off. the tax normally would go to the state treasure. but the state allows this use, star bonds, when a statewide attraction is built. the plan is a museum in part honoring bill snyder. the original 20-year star bonds that helped redevelop downtown were paid off early, that is sales tax collections there exceeded forecast leaving time for this new issue. president schulz brought this plan before leaving for wsu. that area really needs new infrastructure to support the nbaf and what will follow.

if you have questions about this project or tax questions, let me know, as i'm in fairly good position to address them. otherwise, :snore:
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

ToledoCat#2
Posts: 2716
Joined: December 2nd, 2017, 9:53 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 113 times

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 12th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Time marches on and development of the north corridor is the next step. I'd hate to see local sales taxes go up to fund it, but that may happen.

Wonder if any early planning has been done on the Snyder museum.

Hypeman
Posts: 668
Joined: December 16th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Hypeman » February 12th, 2019, 11:41 pm

I thought the stadium and highway were the tribute to Snyder? Now a museum? :rofl: Hopefully Bill himself puts a stop to it as a show of anti-vanity. Regardless, sounds like a scam to pad the pockets of some local construction companies.

Frankly, local sales taxes are approaching double digits and local property taxes are approaching east coast levels. I’m not sure I’m interested in another museum that will likely require continued taxpayer support.

If you think about it holistically, Since the money doesn’t make it’s way into the state coffers, it will come around to negatively affect all communities in the state. How will we feel when Lawrence builds the Bill Self museum? Because in a round about way, we will help fund it.
These users liked Hypeman for the post:
PurpleOnWhite (February 13th, 2019, 12:55 pm)

hilltopwildcat
Posts: 3435
Joined: September 4th, 2013, 12:52 am
Has liked: 374 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 13th, 2019, 9:35 am

" when Lawrence builds the Bill Self museum?"

Where will that be located? Addition to the Douglas Co jail?
These users liked hilltopwildcat for the post:
ksume2000 (February 14th, 2019, 10:29 am)

Hypeman
Posts: 668
Joined: December 16th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Hypeman » February 13th, 2019, 10:13 am

hilltopwildcat wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 9:35 am
" when Lawrence builds the Bill Self museum?"

Where will that be located? Addition to the Douglas Co jail?
Yep, it will be their new practice facility!

(Ride like it’s stolen!)

tmcats
Posts: 4628
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 343 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 13th, 2019, 10:17 am

star bond funding does not affect sales tax rates only where the tax revenue is directed. in this case, either it goes to fix the north corridor or it goes to the state treasury. the rate remains the same.

those who live in mhk like the method because the project is needed and if not funded with star bonds paid for with state sales tax, then it would fall on property tax levies. and property taxes in this town are already outrageous as mentioned above. $50 million in star bond funds were used in the downtown redevelopment project, $25 million of that on the discovery center.

personally, i'd like for the snyder museum, which will be owned by the university, to be not only about bill's career but also state of kansas coaches overall thus expanding its appeal.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

Hypeman
Posts: 668
Joined: December 16th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Hypeman » February 13th, 2019, 5:32 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 10:17 am
star bond funding does not affect sales tax rates only where the tax revenue is directed. in this case, either it goes to fix the north corridor or it goes to the state treasury. the rate remains the same.

those who live in mhk like the method because the project is needed and if not funded with star bonds paid for with state sales tax, then it would fall on property tax levies. and property taxes in this town are already outrageous as mentioned above. $50 million in star bond funds were used in the downtown redevelopment project, $25 million of that on the discovery center.

personally, i'd like for the snyder museum, which will be owned by the university, to be not only about bill's career but also state of kansas coaches overall thus expanding its appeal.
Another Discovery Center? Wow! Sounds like another empty museum available for bar and bat mitzvahs, weddings, and Xmas parties, with operating costs supported by our tax dollars. I suspect the ball of twine will be a bigger attraction.

powercat5000
Posts: 661
Joined: September 16th, 2013, 4:53 pm
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by powercat5000 » February 13th, 2019, 7:54 pm

We need to buy the original rules of football and build a museum around them, I mean we are the Mecca of college football.

Hypeman
Posts: 668
Joined: December 16th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Hypeman » February 13th, 2019, 8:37 pm

powercat5000 wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 7:54 pm
We need to buy the original rules of football and build a museum around them, I mean we are the Mecca of college football.
Good point. I suppose we could try it too. Shoot, I noticed the new Evil Kinevil museum in Topeka, he has nothing to do with Kansas either.

Why do we open museums in Kansas related to things that have nothing to do with Kansas? B-ball, Evil Kinevil, Sputnik, etc. At least the ball of twine is home grown.

Opensource
Posts: 594
Joined: September 16th, 2017, 7:14 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Opensource » February 13th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Star bonds were just bad Kansas tax policy. But, it look like Manhattan will take advantage of it. May be Bill could donate his windfall from contract "extension" he shouldn't have received.

Post Reply