Interesting Comparison Being Made OSU-KState

The defending Big XII Champions
Hypeman

Re: Interesting Comparison Being Made OSU-KState

Post by Hypeman » February 20th, 2019, 2:10 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 11:42 am
i never liked the general's selection to follow schulz. he is much too old and not from the academic field. always wondered if he wasn't a default selection because they couldn't find a suitable replacement. brownback had placed a cloud over the institution, at least for qualified academics, that made it less than attractive.
You are exactly right. K-State has a bad reputation nationally in the academic circles and quite frankly, almost all the administrators in the colleges I engage with are either internal promotions after failed external searches, or the 3rd, 4th, 10th pick after offers are turned down. The University does its best to put lipstick on pigs, but we certainly don’t get first prize swine.

K-State’s reputation is “nice place to live, horrible place to work.”

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 20th, 2019, 2:14 pm

it's interesting because before schulz was hired, i helped interview a handful of qualified candidates in the final selection process. i remember sitting college presidents who i thought would be excellent choices. i wonder if all that dried-up over brownback?
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 20th, 2019, 2:38 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 2:14 pm
it's interesting because before schulz was hired, i helped interview a handful of qualified candidates in the final selection process. i remember sitting college presidents who i thought would be excellent choices. i wonder if all that dried-up over brownback?
No. Perhaps Brownback amplified the issue, but the reputation dates back to the Wefald era. Maybe longer, but that’s before my time. I doubt that k state’s budget cuts have had much of an effect because they have been relatively small compared
to the beating public universities have taken in other states. I would venture to guess that the small cuts are probably a net positive for KSU’s reputation in the academic circles. Especially if a person is coming from out of state.

Caveat: that can all be dependent on the college.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 20th, 2019, 3:09 pm

All of this is disappointing to hear. I'm very proud of the education I received. It was a great place to go to school.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 20th, 2019, 5:51 pm

our hope has always been that the nbaf will not only be a stimulus for mhk but also ksu. it's only a couple years from opening.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Jax

Pick 'Em

Post by Jax » February 22nd, 2019, 2:50 pm

Jax wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 12:49 pm
Wait so does that mean K-State offers similar for students in NE OK?
Okay for anyone who may be affiliated with the bursur office, I ask again. does K-State do something similar in allowing residents of NE OK to pay instate tuition? Inquiring minds want to know!!
We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 22nd, 2019, 4:19 pm

Can't answer the in-state tuition question except to say that if he chooses, I think the dean of students can let any student from anywhere enter K-State with in-state tuition. I saw it happen with the grand-daughter of a friend. The granddaughter lives in Tennessee. She is a good student. While she was still in high school, at the request of her grandpa and the local county extension agent, Pat Bosco waived her out-of-state tuition and the young lady is currently a KSU student.

As for quality of education, I do think most KSU students leave with degrees that will allow them to thrive in their chosen careers. Back when I was hiring students from several universities on a regular basis, the KSU and OSU students were always better than the students from the old SW Conference or from the Big 10 schools. Much of it had to do with leadership qualities and attitudes toward work and learning. I know that's a small sample, but that's the way it was for me.