Hurt - Alabama QB to transfer

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
opcat7755
Posts: 2869
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 11:29 am
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 91 times

Pick 'Em

Re: Hurt - Alabama QB to transfer

Post by opcat7755 » January 10th, 2019, 5:43 pm

PurpleOnWhite wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 4:30 pm
Word is that OU is talking with him.
OU = Transfer QB U?

One would think that OU would be able to recruit and develop the top QBs in the nation and not have to get transfers. Then again, they have lost some QBs as well.

Justice Hansen, 155th overall player in the 2014 class decided to transfer instead of wait his turn behind Trevor Knight and Baker Mayfield. He went to Butler CC and then to Arkansas State.

Chris Robinson, the 172nd overall player in the 2017 class was dismissed from the team. Ended up at FAU.

If they bring in Hurts for 2 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see Austin Kendall, the 190th overall player in the 2016 class, transfer. He has already graduated and has 2 years left to play, so there is no reason for him to stick around as a backup. He already sat behind Mayfield, and behind Murray, the team was supposed to be his next.

Also have to wonder if Tanner Mordecai, 249th best player in the 2018 class, would think about transferring as well. He RS 2018, so he still has 4 years to play, but would he want to sit behind Hurts for 2 years when his talent could have him starting earlier elsewhere? Not to mention that OU already over recruited him with Spencer Rattler, the 23rd best player in the 2019 class. Something has got to give already, adding Hurts makes it even harder.

OU's QB:
RS JR - Austin Kendall - 190th in 2016
RS FR - Tanner Mordecai - 248th in 2018
FR - Spencer Rattler - 23rd in 2019

That brings up my soap box. Every year we see good players go to these "blue blood" programs only to be over-recruited the next year and end up transferring. How many times is it going to happen before these players realize they are better off being the star at another school, then riding the bench at a blue blood for a few years before transferring? A lot of times, outside of the top players like Hurts, they end up transferring to a lower school then what they could have had straight out of HS. Take Hansen for example. Instead of going to OU, he could have gone to Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Missouri, Ole Miss, Texas A&M. Instead, he goes to OU, gets buried and then after losing eligibility at OU, and then at a JUCO he ends up at Arkansas State. Would he have just been better off with one of those other schools instead? Kids need to take a serious evaluation of the rosters, and themselves to see if they can earn a starting spot, or if they will just get over recruited.

PurpleOnWhite
Posts: 590
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 10:36 am
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by PurpleOnWhite » January 10th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Lincoln Riley and Bob Stoops are great salesmen. An 18-year old kid believes the hype and, absent the reality of understanding there are other VERY talented QB’s, envisions himself as the next Heisman trophy candidate.

pipe95
Posts: 166
Joined: April 16th, 2014, 4:09 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 15 times

Post by pipe95 » January 11th, 2019, 9:50 am

Use Georgia as an expample. The top QB out of HS, Fields, commits to Georgia.......even though their FRESHMAN starting QB took them to the national championship game. Now, Fields has transferred.

User avatar
Jax
Posts: 1023
Joined: May 19th, 2014, 12:38 am
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Jax » January 11th, 2019, 11:43 am

Here are the teams I have heard in consideration:
Maryland Terrapins
The Terps stand out because Hurts’ offensive coordinator, Mike Locksley, is now the head coach. Of course, Locksley was also one of the coaches who decided to start Tua Tagovailoa over Hurts in 2018.

Oklahoma Sooners
Of all the potential destinations, Oklahoma seems the most set at quarterback - even with Kyler Murray appearing to head to the NFL Draft. The Sooners have Austin Kendall waiting in the wings, whose only crime at this point is losing the starting job to Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray, and 5-star signee Spencer Rattler is sure to get up to speed rather quickly. This would absolutely be a case of the rich get richer, and you can see the appeal from Hurts’ standpoint - the last two starting quarterbacks at Oklahoma have won the Heisman.

Florida State Seminoles
This one strikes me as odd, simply because of the current turmoil of FSU as a program. Sure, they have a need at quarterback, but they’re coming off their first losing season since 1976, and head coach Willie Taggert is now part of an $11.5 million lawsuit filed by a former Oregon player.

Auburn Tigers
I’m sure Bama fans would love this, but the Tigers could use a quarterback after Jarrett Stidhamdeclared for the NFL draft.

Houston Cougars
An intriguing option, and the closest to home of all the rumored schools at this point. First-year head coach Dana Holgorsen is looking to hit the ground running, but he already has an incredible QB weapon in D’Eriq King. King’s knee injury throws some things into question, but I have a tough time seeing Hurts going to a non-P5 school, no matter that school’s recent track record.

UCLA Bruins
Chip Kelly had a tough year one in Los Angeles, but landing a massive grad transfer may spark season two. If the rumors of Hurts wanting to be close to home are true, though, it seems far fetched to believe he’ll wind up in California.

Tennessee Volunteers
I really don’t see Hurts staying in the SEC, and I definitely don’t see him going to the SEC East. Tennessee has struggled over the past two seasons, and they could definitely use an upgrade at quarterback, but I don’t see the appeal from Hurts’ point of view.

Miami Hurricanes
After Mark Richt’s sudden retirement, Miami went and snagged defensive coordinator Manny Diazback from Temple for the head coaching gig. Miami’s quarterback situation is a big mess, which opens the door for a grad transfer. Working against the Hurricanes, though, is the fact that they don’t have an offensive coordinator right now.

TCU Horned Frogs
A school in Texas, close to home, who has been competitive more often than not - with three top 10 finishes in the past five seasons - and a ton of offensive weapons: all five offensive linemen return, as does Darius Anderson and Sewo Olonilua. Not to mention Jalen Reagor, Taye Barber, and some promising big receivers in the mix. I’m certainly biased, but TCU is starting to feel like a really good fit.
The problem with dividing a cake where everyone believes they got the biggest piece, is when someone wants the whole cake.

opcat7755
Posts: 2869
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 11:29 am
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 91 times

Pick 'Em

Post by opcat7755 » January 11th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Miami just hired Alabama's QB Coach to be their OC. That is probably the coach with the closest connection to Hurts. Unless he was the one that choose to start Tua over Hurts, but I'm guessing that call wasn't his to make.

Ksustephens
Posts: 514
Joined: September 1st, 2018, 6:52 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Ksustephens » January 11th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Doesn’t the transfer have to sit a year? Who is OU running out next year?
ajcksu82 wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 5:43 pm
PurpleOnWhite wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 4:30 pm
Word is that OU is talking with him.
OU = Transfer QB U?

One would think that OU would be able to recruit and develop the top QBs in the nation and not have to get transfers. Then again, they have lost some QBs as well.

Justice Hansen, 155th overall player in the 2014 class decided to transfer instead of wait his turn behind Trevor Knight and Baker Mayfield. He went to Butler CC and then to Arkansas State.

Chris Robinson, the 172nd overall player in the 2017 class was dismissed from the team. Ended up at FAU.

If they bring in Hurts for 2 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see Austin Kendall, the 190th overall player in the 2016 class, transfer. He has already graduated and has 2 years left to play, so there is no reason for him to stick around as a backup. He already sat behind Mayfield, and behind Murray, the team was supposed to be his next.

Also have to wonder if Tanner Mordecai, 249th best player in the 2018 class, would think about transferring as well. He RS 2018, so he still has 4 years to play, but would he want to sit behind Hurts for 2 years when his talent could have him starting earlier elsewhere? Not to mention that OU already over recruited him with Spencer Rattler, the 23rd best player in the 2019 class. Something has got to give already, adding Hurts makes it even harder.

OU's QB:
RS JR - Austin Kendall - 190th in 2016
RS FR - Tanner Mordecai - 248th in 2018
FR - Spencer Rattler - 23rd in 2019

That brings up my soap box. Every year we see good players go to these "blue blood" programs only to be over-recruited the next year and end up transferring. How many times is it going to happen before these players realize they are better off being the star at another school, then riding the bench at a blue blood for a few years before transferring? A lot of times, outside of the top players like Hurts, they end up transferring to a lower school then what they could have had straight out of HS. Take Hansen for example. Instead of going to OU, he could have gone to Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Missouri, Ole Miss, Texas A&M. Instead, he goes to OU, gets buried and then after losing eligibility at OU, and then at a JUCO he ends up at Arkansas State. Would he have just been better off with one of those other schools instead? Kids need to take a serious evaluation of the rosters, and themselves to see if they can earn a starting spot, or if they will just get over recruited.

wild@nite
Posts: 1534
Joined: February 28th, 2018, 1:35 pm
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 181 times

Post by wild@nite » January 11th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Ksustephens wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 2:58 pm
Doesn’t the transfer have to sit a year? Who is OU running out next year?
ajcksu82 wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 5:43 pm


OU = Transfer QB U?

One would think that OU would be able to recruit and develop the top QBs in the nation and not have to get transfers. Then again, they have lost some QBs as well.

Justice Hansen, 155th overall player in the 2014 class decided to transfer instead of wait his turn behind Trevor Knight and Baker Mayfield. He went to Butler CC and then to Arkansas State.

Chris Robinson, the 172nd overall player in the 2017 class was dismissed from the team. Ended up at FAU.

If they bring in Hurts for 2 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see Austin Kendall, the 190th overall player in the 2016 class, transfer. He has already graduated and has 2 years left to play, so there is no reason for him to stick around as a backup. He already sat behind Mayfield, and behind Murray, the team was supposed to be his next.

Also have to wonder if Tanner Mordecai, 249th best player in the 2018 class, would think about transferring as well. He RS 2018, so he still has 4 years to play, but would he want to sit behind Hurts for 2 years when his talent could have him starting earlier elsewhere? Not to mention that OU already over recruited him with Spencer Rattler, the 23rd best player in the 2019 class. Something has got to give already, adding Hurts makes it even harder.

OU's QB:
RS JR - Austin Kendall - 190th in 2016
RS FR - Tanner Mordecai - 248th in 2018
FR - Spencer Rattler - 23rd in 2019

That brings up my soap box. Every year we see good players go to these "blue blood" programs only to be over-recruited the next year and end up transferring. How many times is it going to happen before these players realize they are better off being the star at another school, then riding the bench at a blue blood for a few years before transferring? A lot of times, outside of the top players like Hurts, they end up transferring to a lower school then what they could have had straight out of HS. Take Hansen for example. Instead of going to OU, he could have gone to Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Missouri, Ole Miss, Texas A&M. Instead, he goes to OU, gets buried and then after losing eligibility at OU, and then at a JUCO he ends up at Arkansas State. Would he have just been better off with one of those other schools instead? Kids need to take a serious evaluation of the rosters, and themselves to see if they can earn a starting spot, or if they will just get over recruited.
Not if they graduate before the transfer.

kinsleycat
Posts: 1355
Joined: September 4th, 2013, 8:42 pm
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by kinsleycat » January 11th, 2019, 4:27 pm

I'm sure KU could find room for him

Tulsacat
Posts: 309
Joined: September 6th, 2013, 10:29 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Tulsacat » January 11th, 2019, 4:33 pm

The Tulsa World is reporting that University of Oklahoma quarterback Austin Kendall is considering a transfer.

Reporter Eric Bailey tweeted Friday morning that Kendall has entered the transfer portal, meaning he may be headed to another school.
:popcorn:

opcat7755
Posts: 2869
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 11:29 am
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 91 times

Pick 'Em

Post by opcat7755 » January 11th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Tulsacat wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 4:33 pm
The Tulsa World is reporting that University of Oklahoma quarterback Austin Kendall is considering a transfer.

Reporter Eric Bailey tweeted Friday morning that Kendall has entered the transfer portal, meaning he may be headed to another school.
:popcorn:
I feel like I almost predicted that, although my thoughts were if OU got Hurt. Still doesn't surprise me. He graduated already and has already backed up 2 transfer QBs. So if he was good enough OU wouldn't be needing to keep getting transfer QBs.

Post Reply