Vaunted SEC defenses 2018 performance against B12

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
Tbonespop
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 129 times

Vaunted SEC defenses 2018 performance against B12

Post by Tbonespop » December 31st, 2018, 9:54 pm

So we are closing out the 2018 football season and during this past season, the B12 has had 5 games in which we have had head to head games with SEC teams where the B12 teams run a spread offense (I'm excluding the KSU MSU game and the Texas Georgia games). All the talk is always about how good the defenses are in the SEC, blah, blah, blah....

The 5 games played were: Ole Miss vs TTU, WVU vs TENN, OU vs Bama, Baylor vs Vandy, and OSU vs MU

The 5 games were pretty good match ups based on overall record, except for maybe the WVU TENN game. In those 5 games, the B12 is 3-2.

In those 5 games, the SEC vaunted defenses have given up an average of 535 yards per game and 37 points per game.

So someone tell me, does the SEC really play that much better defense or is it that their offenses just aren't as good as the B12's? Overall, the top 2 teams in the SEC being Bama and Goergia are better than the top 3 teams in the B12 (OU, Texas, WVU - the 3 times that competed for the conf championship). So I'm not saying that the B12 is a better conference than the SEC. I'm just saying that the narrative that the B12 doesn't play defense (granted, we aren't a good defensive conference) and the SEC does play defense doesn't hold water, specifically when it comes to defending high powered, spread offenses.

All you folks that like to complain about our talent level on defense, our lack of speed on defense, etc are missing something. The reality is, no matter how much talent you have and how much speed you have, the rules of the game now favor high powered offenses and defending spread offenses is extremely difficult regardless of talent level. It's going to take more than size, speed, and talent to play better defense in the B12 - it's going to take rule changes. I'm not saying we don't need talent upgrades. At the end of the day, what we really need to compete in the B12 is a pound-it-down-their-ass offense to keep opposing offenses off the field. From there, we need to stop recruiting smaller faster LBers and Dlinemen (trying to put more speed on the field), and go back to getting bigger, stronger DL and LBers for the times when we aren't playing spread offenses. Who cares if we can't defend spread offenses? Nobody else is either. All the stats show that its not worth sacrificing our size along the DL and LB corp for trying to stop high powered passing attacks.

I hope Coach CK really focuses on building a similar program at KSU that he ran at NDSU, just on an even higher level. That's the key to getting us back into the conference championship discussion. And if we can be good enough to win the conference, we can be in the discussion of the playoffs. This just further solidifies in my mind that the direction we were headed with Coach Snyder the last few years wasn't ever going to get us back to where we once were. It was time for a change.

Cheers to new year and 2019 season gang!

hilltopwildcat
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by hilltopwildcat » December 31st, 2018, 10:43 pm

Defend the middle and disrupt the timing routes. Make them fit the ball on the sidelines. Not quite that simple but that may slow those offenses down some and yes play keep away as much as possible.

Sancho Panza
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Sancho Panza » January 1st, 2019, 12:28 am

No one fears Vanderbilt; but, I think Okie State did a good job.

Imagine playing AlaBama, & having Zero (0) penalties against them...

OU did a good job; after they spotted them 4 TDs...
HAIL STATE!!!

oscar
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by oscar » January 1st, 2019, 1:15 am

Sancho, you guys got very nice fans. Your program is going to be top half of SEC for long time.
These users liked oscar for the post:
Sancho Panza (January 1st, 2019, 10:20 am)

hilltopwildcat
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by hilltopwildcat » January 1st, 2019, 9:44 am

Thanks Sancho. Maybe next year we can play well enough you know we were there. Plan to be there. Will be asking more questions closer to game time.
These users liked hilltopwildcat for the post:
Sancho Panza (January 1st, 2019, 10:20 am)

Sancho Panza
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Sancho Panza » January 2nd, 2019, 7:52 am

Will be watching ndsu Saturday.
These users liked Sancho Panza for the post:
BamaCat (January 7th, 2019, 3:26 pm)
HAIL STATE!!!