Bowl games

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
hilltopwildcat
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 71 times

Bowl games

Post by hilltopwildcat » December 28th, 2018, 9:02 am

No talk on what's going on there. I watched the 4th qtr and OT of TCU game. Looked like circa 1950's B1G. Watched a little of the 3rd qtr of Baylor/Vandy. Looked like 2 6-6 teams playing...oh wait. Anything newsworthy other than kids getting suspended for testing positive?

NMcat
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 12 times

Post by NMcat » December 28th, 2018, 10:03 am

I wondered how in the hell TCU beat us, or beat anyone else? And I wondered how in the hell did we stay in the game with Baylor? I'm afraid the Bears are back in the top half of the conference now. They looked very good tonight except for the typical non-existent BIG 12 defense.

When the pre-season conference polls come out, I'm afraid K-State and TCU will be in competition for the Purple Doormat position.

wild@nite
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 122 times

Post by wild@nite » December 28th, 2018, 10:19 am

hilltopwildcat wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 9:02 am
No talk on what's going on there. I watched the 4th qtr and OT of TCU game. Looked like circa 1950's B1G. Watched a little of the 3rd qtr of Baylor/Vandy. Looked like 2 6-6 teams playing...oh wait. Anything newsworthy other than kids getting suspended for testing positive?
Maybe it's just me, but bowl games have about ran their course. I'd be all in on going back to an 11 game schedule and a 16 team playoff. It's become way too watered down and stars not playing, etc.... It's just not special anymore and something needs to happen to balance college football out.
More top end kids might go play somewhere other than a few select schools if there was a prayer of playing in a true playoff. Every other sport in America, even High Schools, have a better system than NCAA football. Probably never happen, but that's my wish, because it's kind of a joke the way it's ran right now.
Last edited by wild@nite on December 28th, 2018, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users liked wild@nite for the post:
JOKKO (December 28th, 2018, 10:56 am)

wild@nite
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 122 times

Post by wild@nite » December 28th, 2018, 10:23 am

NMcat wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 10:03 am
I wondered how in the hell TCU beat us, or beat anyone else? And I wondered how in the hell did we stay in the game with Baylor? I'm afraid the Bears are back in the top half of the conference now. They looked very good tonight except for the typical non-existent BIG 12 defense.

When the pre-season conference polls come out, I'm afraid K-State and TCU will be in competition for the Purple Doormat position.
I didn't exactly see that SEC defense stopping Baylor, and Baylor was missing Heard.

Also, did you not watch us this year? We we're, at times, pathetic. That's how TCU beat us, plus when we played them, they weren't playing their 3rd string QB who was terrible.

tmcats
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 152 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 28th, 2018, 10:53 am

k-state would have won both the baylor and tcu games had they had a healthy kicker. barnes tore the bears a new one. it was sad losing to either much less both of those teams.

as for bowls, they're like movies, entertainment. i've watched parts of several including last night. meaningless, perhaps, but still better than the food network, nba, or fake news.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

KITNooga
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by KITNooga » December 28th, 2018, 12:41 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 10:53 am
k-state would have won both the baylor and tcu games had they had a healthy kicker. barnes tore the bears a new one. it was sad losing to either much less both of those teams.

as for bowls, they're like movies, entertainment. i've watched parts of several including last night. meaningless, perhaps, but still better than the food network, nba, or fake news.
rather enjoyed the Wisconsin-miami game.

the other interesting trend: more and more players NOT in the play-off picture seem to be skipping the bowl game.
add to that play-off kids getting suspended.

very interesting times. I smell change a-comin'. nothing says 'irrelevant' like key players sitting out.

tmcats
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 152 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 28th, 2018, 1:23 pm

bowl irrelevance is another reason for cfp expansion. when no one is interested in the rose or fiesta (i couldn't tell you who plays in that one), then perhaps the elites will come around to an 8 team playoff.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

bhoovy
Been liked: 39 times

Post by bhoovy » December 28th, 2018, 2:10 pm

I generally like bowl games but they haven’t been that competitive for the most part this year. The Baylor/Vandy game has been the most entertaining for me so far. Fun game to watch.

B12 2-0 so far. We’ll see if they can keep it going tonight with both WVU and ISU in action. I actually think the ISU vs WSU could be fun. Wondering how competitive WVU will be without their qb.

Tbonespop
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Tbonespop » December 28th, 2018, 2:10 pm

In the first B12 $Ec bowl match up, the vaunted $EC defense gave up 670 yards and 45?points.
These users liked Tbonespop for the post (total 2):
tmcats (December 28th, 2018, 3:01 pm) • Sancho Panza (December 30th, 2018, 5:09 pm)

ToledoCat#2
Been liked: 43 times

Post by ToledoCat#2 » December 28th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Purdue went belly-up against Auburn in the first Q. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong for the Boilermakers. I quit watching at 42-7 midway through 2nd Q.

That said, the Moore frosh from Purdue is like watching a new Darren Sproles.

Here's a novel idea. Quit the college FB season entirely after the league championship games and have no playoffs or bowl games. College is still about academics, right?

The college season is plenty long as it is. Send the league champions to Disneyland or somewhere for some sun and fun. ;)