Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
JOKKO
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Keep an eye on this Klieman guy

Post by JOKKO » December 6th, 2018, 10:33 am

tmcats wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 10:20 am
klieman was my pick from the getgo, not because i particularly wanted him preferring venables myself but because his choice would make so much sense. he's a winner, 3 national championships in 4 years. taylor hired him once successfully. he runs a smash mouth offense like snyder's (in traditional uniforms :lol: ). bison fans are culturally similar, conservative, aggie, loyal. and fargo isn't much different than manhattan, just way bigger. the hire would not surprise me one bit.
If Klieman is the hire, I will absolutely hate it! KSU has moved on from needing to hire a coach that has only spent 1 season in FBS at any position. 1988---I get it. 2018 NO WAY!

That being said, I will say that I hate the hire, but will also wait 3 years to pass any judgment on the coach.

Not so fun fact: last HC hire for KSU that came from DII...Stan Parrish

NealyFan
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by NealyFan » December 6th, 2018, 10:45 am

One huge reason Snyder was able to jump start the program was that he brought in high quality DI experienced assistants - mostly from Iowa. Can Klieman put together the same type off staff?

ajcksu82
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 36 times

Pick 'Em

Post by ajcksu82 » December 6th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Hard pass. Jumping from FCS to FBS is hard, jumping from FCS to P5 is even harder. He needs to get into FBS and get some experience, either as a HC, or a coordinator, to see what he does with the jump in difficulty. I feel like K-State is in a place where it doesn't need to go down to a lower division to get it's coaches.

Who were the last coaches to go from FCS to P5?

JOKKO
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by JOKKO » December 6th, 2018, 12:29 pm

ajcksu82 wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 12:12 pm
Hard pass. Jumping from FCS to FBS is hard, jumping from FCS to P5 is even harder. He needs to get into FBS and get some experience, either as a HC, or a coordinator, to see what he does with the jump in difficulty. I feel like K-State is in a place where it doesn't need to go down to a lower division to get it's coaches.

Jim Tressel did, but he spent several years as an assistant at P5 before Youngstown State.

DeereCatFan
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » December 6th, 2018, 1:18 pm

No thanks On Klieman. My list in order of preference of realistic potentials that is:
Venables
Leavitt
Littrell
Brown
Klieman probably wouldn't be on my list. I just don't feel he could pull together a staff and wouldn't have much for recruiting connections. But I'll admit I know very little about him.

ajcksu82
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 36 times

Pick 'Em

Post by ajcksu82 » December 6th, 2018, 1:19 pm

JOKKO wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 12:29 pm
ajcksu82 wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Jim Tressel did, but he spent several years as an assistant at P5 before Youngstown State.
Good catch. Although like you said, he was a P5 assistant prior, including time at Ohio State. He also born in Ohio and coached at a FCS in the same state as Ohio State, so he had a bunch of ties already to the area and to all the HS coaches in a already great recruiting state. He also went to Ohio State, a top program, which was in a pretty decent shape under previous coach John Cooper.