February 4th, 2020, 6:20 pm

You are correct.

Elway went #1
Blackledge went #7
Kelly went #14
Eason went #15
O'Brien went #24
Marino went #27

Blackledge had the worst career of any of those 1st round QBs.

Any of those QBs listed above would have been better than Blackledge, most definitely. Total wasted pick for the Chiefs.

That pick left them NOT drafting a QB for the better part of a decade and a half or longer. Chiefs were left a bit gun shy after the Blackledge debacle.
Well the Chiefs still tried drafting QBs after Blackledge, just not another one in the 1st round.

2016 - 5th round - Kevin Hogan
2014 - 5th round - Aaron Murray
2011 - 5th round - Ricky Stanzi
2006 - 3rd round - Brodie Croyle
1997 - 4th round - Pat Barnes
1995 - 4th round - Steve Stenstrom
1994 - 7th round - Steve Matthews
1992 - 2nd round - Matt Blundin
1989 - 2nd round - Mike Elkins
1988 - 11th round - Danny McManus
1987 - 7th round - Doug Hudson

Londoncat
Has thanked: 0

Post by Londoncat » February 6th, 2020, 5:28 pm

I was of the opinion that, back in 2012 when Andrew Luck was available, KC should have pulled a Mike Ditka and traded away all of our 2012 picks to the Colts for Luck. It looked like that would have been a pretty good deal at the time - especially since the Chiefs draft picks that year were kind of a dud (Memphis DT Dontari Poe, Illinois OT Jeff Allen, Oklahoma OT Donald Stephenson, Fresno St. WR Devon Wylie, Alabama CB De'Quan Menzie, Texas A&M RB Cyrus Gray, DSU DT Jerome Long, and Michigan WR Junior Hemingway) and we were horrible at QB (Matt Cassel, Ricky Stanzi and Brady Quinn). But then Luck got the injury bug and now, just 7 years later, he was forced to retire. Maybe he would have had a better, healthier, stint in KC . . . but it is great to finally have a legit, young, franchise QB after decades of questionable QB draft picks.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 6th, 2020, 5:52 pm

Londoncat wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 5:28 pm
I was of the opinion that, back in 2012 when Andrew Luck was available, KC should have pulled a Mike Ditka and traded away all of our 2012 picks to the Colts for Luck. It looked like that would have been a pretty good deal at the time - especially since the Chiefs draft picks that year were kind of a dud (Memphis DT Dontari Poe, Illinois OT Jeff Allen, Oklahoma OT Donald Stephenson, Fresno St. WR Devon Wylie, Alabama CB De'Quan Menzie, Texas A&M RB Cyrus Gray, DSU DT Jerome Long, and Michigan WR Junior Hemingway) and we were horrible at QB (Matt Cassel, Ricky Stanzi and Brady Quinn). But then Luck got the injury bug and now, just 7 years later, he was forced to retire. Maybe he would have had a better, healthier, stint in KC . . . but it is great to finally have a legit, young, franchise QB after decades of questionable QB draft picks.
Nothing against Fisher, but in 2013, KC had the #1 overall, but that was a year where there were no great QBs in the draft. Usually, there is at least 1 QB worth a top 5 pick, but not that year.

In 2008, the Chiefs had two 1st round picks and a high 2nd and three 3rd round picks. With Thigpen, Huard and Croyle at QB, they could have used a QB. Matt Ryan was taken 2 spots higher. I wonder if they could have gotten him with a combo of picks.

In 2005, KC didn't really need a QB with Trent Green. But he was coming off a 7-9 season and the Chiefs could have started to think about training the next QB of the future. Derrick Johnson was a great pick at #15, but that was the year that Aaron Rodgers fell to #24. Imagine Rodgers sitting a year behind Trent before taking over for KC in 2006 instead of Damon Huard coming in when Green only made it 8 games that season.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » February 6th, 2020, 6:07 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 5:52 pm
Londoncat wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 5:28 pm
Nothing against Fisher, but in 2013, KC had the #1 overall, but that was a year where there were no great QBs in the draft. Usually, there is at least 1 QB worth a top 5 pick, but not that year.

In 2008, the Chiefs had two 1st round picks and a high 2nd and three 3rd round picks. With Thigpen, Huard and Croyle at QB, they could have used a QB. Matt Ryan was taken 2 spots higher. I wonder if they could have gotten him with a combo of picks.

In 2005, KC didn't really need a QB with Trent Green. But he was coming off a 7-9 season and the Chiefs could have started to think about training the next QB of the future. Derrick Johnson was a great pick at #15, but that was the year that Aaron Rodgers fell to #24. Imagine Rodgers sitting a year behind Trent before taking over for KC in 2006 instead of Damon Huard coming in when Green only made it 8 games that season.

Yeah, Fisher has turned out to be the correct pick. Just sucks that was the year that the Chiefs had the top pick. Clowney was the next big thing, but he was only a sophomore.

DJ was great, but having Rogers obviously would have been better. Doubt if that would have been enough to get Ryan, but there is always future picks that they could throw in. Worked out for the Chiefs in the long run getting Mahomes (maybe too long of a run).

I like how Veach isn't afraid of moving picks to get the guy he wants. Lots of draft picks don't pan out anyway, so use them to get the "right" guy!

ArKSU

Post by ArKSU » February 7th, 2020, 7:59 am

Who givces a FAT'S randy what a bunch of Millionaires, BILLIONAIRES DO IN THEIR SPARE TIME?
Quite often, 7th and 8th Graders care a whole lot more than Millionaires/Billionaires happen in their games.
A worried man with a worried mind
People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » February 7th, 2020, 8:14 am

I do.

Despite premature reports of its death, the NFL is still king.

CHEERS!