Recruiting Thread

The defending Big XII Champions
KSUbetcha

Re: Recruiting Thread

Post by KSUbetcha » January 24th, 2024, 6:28 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
January 24th, 2024, 5:41 pm
K-State picked up a commitment today from Jackson Voth from Cheney. He was originally committed to New Mexico State, but decommitted after Coach Kill left. He will be coming in as a PWO. Welcome Jack!

https://247sports.com/Player/Jackson-Voth-46141296/
Pretty good when you can get a guy of Voth's caliber to commit as a preferred walkon. KSU has had a history of smaller-league studs (3A) coming to the Cats & excelling after a year or two in the system. Voth seems to thrive as a receiver in traffic & with contested balls, as well as his yards-after-catch (YAC) per his highlights.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post (total 3):
stlcatfanrandallcat85farrout10

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » January 25th, 2024, 8:13 am

We have a few POW's that I think could become contributors. Heck, the kid from St. Thomas Aquinas is actually a top 10 kid in Kansas and we got him as a walk-on. They say he has an amazing motor and if he can improve his physical stature he could be a gem. Same with Holden Bass, some have said he is a bit like Trey Dishon was as a high school kid. Ryan Wallace talked about how he watched Holden Bass whip Gus Hawkins pretty good in some 1 on 1's a couple of summers ago at a camp. Maybe not great for Hawkins, LOL, but good for Bass.

I don't really count the OL kid from South Dakota as a POW, he would not be a walk on if he didn't have the full Native American scholarship to cover his college.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » January 25th, 2024, 11:14 am

Agreed. It seems like the past couple recruiting classes we have been getting some highly rated kids who have agreed to come here as a PWO when they had scholarship offers from other D1 schools. I believe Knuth has already earned a scholarship, no?
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » January 25th, 2024, 11:23 am

stlcatfan wrote:
January 25th, 2024, 11:14 am
Agreed. It seems like the past couple recruiting classes we have been getting some highly rated kids who have agreed to come here as a PWO when they had scholarship offers from other D1 schools. I believe Knuth has already earned a scholarship, no?

Would be interested to know if NIL plays a part in getting kids to PWO? If you could get them 8 or 10 grand a year to help cover tuition, etc to go along with all of the gear, tutoring, coaching, training, etc that comes with being on the team, things start to look pretty good for a PWO.
stlcatfanrandallcat85

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » January 25th, 2024, 11:36 am

Gorhoops wrote:
January 25th, 2024, 11:23 am
stlcatfan wrote:
January 25th, 2024, 11:14 am

Would be interested to know if NIL plays a part in getting kids to PWO? If you could get them 8 or 10 grand a year to help cover tuition, etc to go along with all of the gear, tutoring, coaching, training, etc that comes with being on the team, things start to look pretty good for a PWO.
That's a good point.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » January 25th, 2024, 11:45 am

stlcatfan wrote:
January 25th, 2024, 11:36 am
Gorhoops wrote:
January 25th, 2024, 11:23 am

That's a good point.

That being said I think I remember hearing that we had a few guys that were getting NIL "scholarships" so to speak. They were walk-ons but like three were given NIL money to cover school. I feel like Xavier Loyd was one if I remember correctly. A lot of good that did as he transferred. But I think we do have some sort of program now that I think about it.
stlcatfanrandallcat85

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » January 26th, 2024, 4:22 pm

So what's to keep a team that has had scholarships revoked for ncaa infractions from just signing a bunch of players as "preferred walkons" and then using NIL to pay their tuition?

The whole NIL and transfer portal mess is just a big joke.
These users thanked the author Wyldkatz for the post (total 3):
stlcatfanrandallcat85DeereCatFan

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » January 28th, 2024, 1:38 pm

Is there NCAA regulation against a multi-million dollar salary college FB coach from funding a few, say, $100,000 NILs himself? I would think there would be, but I've not heard of any such regulation.
These users thanked the author ToledoCat#3 for the post:
randallcat85

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » January 30th, 2024, 9:14 am

Looked like the staff was out in full force yesterday across the state. Pretty much the entire staff was in Goodland to see Lincoln Cure and also in Derby to see Deshawn Brame. I am sure there were multiple other stops as well but those are the two that I saw on Twitter. Just thought it was interesting that like our entire offensive staff was in the picture with Brame. Looked like the full court press.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post (total 3):
randallcat85stlcatfanKSUbetcha

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » January 31st, 2024, 10:10 am

Gorhoops wrote:
January 30th, 2024, 9:14 am
Looked like the staff was out in full force yesterday across the state. Pretty much the entire staff was in Goodland to see Lincoln Cure and also in Derby to see Deshawn Brame. I am sure there were multiple other stops as well but those are the two that I saw on Twitter. Just thought it was interesting that like our entire offensive staff was in the picture with Brame. Looked like the full court press.
Brame is a K-State legacy as both his parents went to KSU and also played sports for the Wildcats; his dad was a FB player under coach Snyder & his mom played basketball at K-State. I think we've probably got a good shot at signing him. KSU made his Top-8 choices.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan