Recruiting Thread

The defending Big XII Champions
ArKSU

Re: Recruiting Thread

Post by ArKSU » April 18th, 2019, 8:10 am

KSU was not built in a day, or even a season; but HCCK has a proven track record that matches with A-N-Y coach in the country.

Go back and watch the NDSU v Eastern Wash game or the NDSU v SDSU game.

Then imagine HCCK with the atletes he'll be able to draw to KSU.
This is a bit of a deflating hire, and can be fairly criticized as unimaginative and the safety hire of an AD who was afraid to hire someone he didn’t know.

But the guy can clearly coach, and will have better facilities and a bigger fan base to recruit to than ever before.

The best things about K-State remain the best things about K-State. The program will aim to win together, with a solid base. This is easy to forget now, but Prince was the flashy hire. He was young, had charisma, and was an instant recruiting upgrade over Snyder. That failed quickly. It was unsustainable. Klieman can position himself as the right kind of change.

There is no way to know if this will work. But Taylor knows him better than almost anyone, and he’s betting his professional reputation and future on it. Klieman can do this, with the right support and recruits. Much crazier things have happened.

Heck, at K-State, they already have.
from the Kansas City Star
A worried man with a worried mind
People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 21st, 2019, 8:48 pm

It looks like we picked up a new commit for the 2020 class. His name is Makholven Sonn. He is a CB out of Louisiana (recruited by Coach Malone). He had offers from KU, WVU, Arkansas, and Colorado. He can also play WR, but it looks like we recruited him to be a CB. From the little bit of video I saw on him, he looks pretty athletic and explosive.

Welcome Makholven!
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » April 21st, 2019, 10:14 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
April 21st, 2019, 8:48 pm
It looks like we picked up a new commit for the 2020 class. His name is Makholven Sonn. He is a CB out of Louisiana (recruited by Coach Malone). He had offers from KU, WVU, Arkansas, and Colorado. He can also play WR, but it looks like we recruited him to be a CB. From the little bit of video I saw on him, he looks pretty athletic and explosive.

Welcome Makholven!
He visited KU's rap concert and decided he would prefer a program over a cars salesman. Here I thought Miles could get all the LA players to KU.

KCCATFAN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KCCATFAN » June 4th, 2019, 11:03 am

I see we picked up a new commit, Talor Warner, from Gardner, Ks. We were his only P5 offer at this point. My only concern is it seems like we are taking some commitments from lightly recruited guys early in the recruiting process. What happens when we get close to the end and we could have used that scholarship on a player who is more highly regarded? I hope this player proves me wrong, but that was the problem at the end of Snyder 2.0, we were signing too many players with no other P5 offers.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » June 4th, 2019, 12:44 pm

KCCATFAN wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 11:03 am
I see we picked up a new commit, Talor Warner, from Gardner, Ks. We were his only P5 offer at this point. My only concern is it seems like we are taking some commitments from lightly recruited guys early in the recruiting process. What happens when we get close to the end and we could have used that scholarship on a player who is more highly regarded? I hope this player proves me wrong, but that was the problem at the end of Snyder 2.0, we were signing too many players with no other P5 offers.
Would you have preferred that the kid blows up his senior year and K-State is late to the game in forming a relationship with the kid and losses him to an out of state program, like Iowa State? After all, he would have a lot of P5 offers at that point, only for K-State to miss on him in the end.

Either fans freak out because K-State is the first P5 to offer a KS player, or they freak out because K-State is too late to offer a KS kid and isn't locking down the border.

K-State did it's due diligence on Warner. They waited till he camped in person to get a good evaluation on him instead of just looking at his tape. He is also the type of player that his tape isn't going to get offers because his JR year film is of him playing offensive tackle, which he was undersized for and won't play at the collegiate level. Any other program looking at OT wouldn't have noticed him as a DT player, which is why he hasn't had a lot of offers. Some recruiting sites still list him as OT. During his SR year, you will see that switch to DT and he will get a favorable rating and will turn out to be one of the top 1/2 of players in the class.

He has a big frame that he still has room to grow and has great potential to get bigger, while still being athletic, to be a solid DT. He has already grown quite a bit in the last few months. If he had not been offered by K-State, I would expect that he would get more offers after his SR year. And he still may get those offers to try and draw him away, but not as many as he would if here were open.

He also is coached in high school by Mark Simoneau. Which is why K-State could have gotten earlier eyes on him and why he has a better chance of sticking with K-State if other schools come calling.

Warner isn't an example of K-State reaching for a player early. They found a player that played a different position that no one noticed because no one was really scouting his school to see extra players. K-State found out about him because of the K-State connection and being in state and is locking him down before he blows up and goes elsewhere.

There aren't going to be these highly rated players that K-State is trying to sign right at the end. K-State has to get on kids early before other schools get to them. K-State gets a few in each class, but they aren't beating out a ton of P5 schools for players and instead, they lose a lot more players that other P5s have gotten to first.

Not to mention if there is a few of these players, there are many creative ways to open up a scholarship and there are always players leaving that open up spots that weren't expected (Zuber). You don't ignore a potential player because of the slight chance you may need an open scholarship down the road.
Last edited by AJcat7755 on June 4th, 2019, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KCCATFAN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KCCATFAN » June 4th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Either fans freak out because K-State is the first P5 to offer a KS player, or they freak out because K-State is too late to offer a KS kid and isn't locking down the border.

Neither here. Just pointing out that their was definitely a talent gap at the end of Snyder 2.0. You obviously have some insight on this kid that I don't. I am all for finding a "hidden gem." Time will tell about how recruits turn out.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » June 4th, 2019, 1:22 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 12:44 pm

He has a big frame that he still has room to grow and has great potential to get bigger, while still being athletic, to be a solid DT.
That was my first thought when I saw his picture. He looks like he could add at least 20-30 pounds (maybe more) without missing a beat, athleticism-wise.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » June 4th, 2019, 1:29 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 1:22 pm
AJcat7755 wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 12:44 pm

He has a big frame that he still has room to grow and has great potential to get bigger, while still being athletic, to be a solid DT.
That was my first thought when I saw his picture. He looks like he could add at least 20-30 pounds (maybe more) without missing a beat, athleticism-wise.
https://twitter.com/Talor_Warner52/stat ... 8197292032

He is way too athletic, and undersized, to be playing OT. He has the athleticism to play LB right now, but with his frame, he can put on the weight and strength and keep that speed at a DT. Obliviously, he won't be a freshman starter, but K-State has the depth at DT that he can spend a RS year getting bigger.

Recruiting services never see KS players until they commit so rankings will be late in coming in. According to 247sports, he is currently the highest rated player in the 2020 class, 559th overall, 46th OT (which he won't play) and 5th in KS with a 87 rating. For comparison, he would be the 4th highest player in the 2019 class, 2nd highest in the 2018 class, best in the 2017 class, 2nd (only behind Skylar) in the 2016 class. He is not a fringe player.

He is rated slightly below Hayden Pauls as a OT, who K-State lost to ISU, and he is projected to be a better DT then a OT.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » June 4th, 2019, 1:51 pm

A couple other offers I noticed that came from the K-State Camp are Cody Stufflebean and Isiah Childs. They are both in-state kids. I believe Stufflebean has offers from Wisconsin and Virginia Tech. Not sure about Childs.

Have you heard anything about our chances with those guys? They both seemed to be excited about getting an offer from K-State.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » June 4th, 2019, 2:49 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 1:51 pm
A couple other offers I noticed that came from the K-State Camp are Cody Stufflebean and Isiah Childs. They are both in-state kids. I believe Stufflebean has offers from Wisconsin and Virginia Tech. Not sure about Childs.

Have you heard anything about our chances with those guys? They both seemed to be excited about getting an offer from K-State.
Childs played last year for Manhattan High School but is moving to Wamego for his SR season. So it's probably safe to say he knows K-State from growing up and might have a relationship with 2020 commit form Manhattan, Sam Shields. Projected more as a LB then the RB he is listed as, but as the article says, he hasn't played much on the defensive side. I would think K-State is in good shape here given it's his first offer, and his history with Manhattan.

https://themercury.com/k_state_sports/w ... 735f2.html

Stufflebean is another KS kid that grew up liking K-State from McPherson. But K-State has a little more competition for his services with P5s Virginia Tech and Wisconsin, who have offered before he has visited them. Wisconsin is no stranger to KS players, with QB Mertz and incoming TE Cundiff coming from the state.

Just like referenced above, this is 2 versions of KS kids. One where K-State is the first to offer and it looks like they don't appear to be highly recruited, and one where they are behind other P5 schools and K-State is fighting an uphill battle.