DJ Fluker Twitter that he took money while at 'Bama

The defending Big XII Champions
ninglu86
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DJ Fluker Twitter that he took money while at 'Bama

Post by ninglu86 » September 13th, 2013, 9:26 am

DJ Fluker was a tackle at 'Bama who was drafted in the first round this year.

windjammer

Post by windjammer » September 13th, 2013, 10:19 am

Obviously a language arts major.

ninglu86

Post by ninglu86 » September 13th, 2013, 11:34 am

I don't know why you'd come out and put that on twitter.

millertime913

Post by millertime913 » September 13th, 2013, 2:26 pm

His family did really need the money, so I can't really blame him. However I'd still be surprised if Alabama gets into any kind of trouble from this.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » September 13th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Well at least the guy was honest about it.

As for the issue, I suspect nothing will come of it in the long run. More and more schools will start paying players and eventually the NCAA will have to concede to paying players.
EMAW

ninglu86

Post by ninglu86 » September 13th, 2013, 3:48 pm

It's 'Bama, it's the SEC, it's ESPN's baby. No harm will come to 'Bama.

JazzCatDRP
Administrator

Post by JazzCatDRP » September 13th, 2013, 11:40 pm

ninglu86 wrote:It's 'Bama, it's the SEC, it's ESPN's baby. No harm will come to 'Bama.
Truth

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » September 14th, 2013, 8:25 am

I used to be a purist when it came to not paying players, but I'm starting to wonder if there shouldn't be an "alternative track" for kids that are strictly playing college ball as an "extended try-out" or a "developmental league" for the NFL. I know the NFL has a rookie program with classes about dealing with basic finances, law, and dealing with the media. Maybe they could partner up with NCAA and make those actual "classes" for said alternative track, and the kids could get paid. There is more than enough money flowing into the NCAA and NFL. The kids could opt-in and doing so would automatically create individual accounts for each player. Part of the money they would receive would go into that account that can be accessed by the player three years out of college, the college could match the funds, so IF an NFL career doesn't work out they can return to college an enroll in a degree program.

Now, don't hammer me too hard on that idea, it just popped into my head and is bound to have all kinds of holes in it...I'm just spit-balling here.

Str8UpKst8

Post by Str8UpKst8 » September 14th, 2013, 9:13 am

I used to be a purist when it came to not paying players, but I'm starting to wonder if there shouldn't be an "alternative track" for kids that are strictly playing college ball as an "extended try-out" or a "developmental league" for the NFL. I know the NFL has a rookie program with classes about dealing with basic finances, law, and dealing with the media. Maybe they could partner up with NCAA and make those actual "classes" for said alternative track, and the kids could get paid. There is more than enough money flowing into the NCAA and NFL. The kids could opt-in and doing so would automatically create individual accounts for each player. Part of the money they would receive would go into that account that can be accessed by the player three years out of college, the college could match the funds, so IF an NFL career doesn't work out they can return to college an enroll in a degree program.

Now, don't hammer me too hard on that idea, it just popped into my head and is bound to have all kinds of holes in it...I'm just spit-balling here.
The biggest issue is how much do they get paid? Does every college athlete get paid the same amount? Does a Football player get paid more than a baseball player? Do men get paid more than women? Do athletes at Alabama get paid more than athletes at Boise State? Way to many opening for discrimination lawsuits that the NCAA or the NFL wouldn't want. Not to mention, do schools with lower sports revenue get the same amount to pay student athletes as those with very high sports revenue? When you start paying athletes it becomes a profession and it is no longer considered an amateur sports. I say the only way to fix the problem is to allow all athletes to enter professional sports right out of high school. Why cant a free education be enough? Its a myth that the NCAA is sitting on a gold mine of money. They do distribute the funds to colleges across the country and roughly 4% goes to legal fees and salary. Education is priceless! There are no guarantees in life but at least you have been given an upperhand in the job market if your career in professional sports doesn't work out.

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » September 14th, 2013, 9:35 am

I agree with all of this, especially the part about allowing kids to jump straight to the professional ranks. I will only point out that the scholarships they receive are, in fact, compensation, so the "it's a profession once you get compensated" thing is a bit thin.

Good post, every point you make is valid.