Re: Time For A Total Evaluation Of KSU

Post by PurpleOnWhite » October 22nd, 2021, 9:15 am

Someone thought highly of an ESU exec.

https://kansasreflector.com/briefs/empo ... on-system/

bshea85

Post by bshea85 » October 22nd, 2021, 10:02 am

Hypeman wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 8:24 pm

Why does KSU bother to have a business school when KU has a better one, why does KU have an engineering school when KSU has a
better one, why does KSU have a college of ed when fort Hayes has a better one, etc … maybe we should remove all duplication?
This is not entirely true. As an engineer and someone who has recruited engineers from both KSU and KU and attended more career fairs than I'd like to admit, I can say, for a fact, that KU has a much better engineering program. The difference in 'product' is night-and-day. KU may suck at football, but it is one hell of a good school. In my mind, KSU should stick to Tech and Agriculture (including veterinary medicine, and agricultural engineering).
These users thanked the author bshea85 for the post:
KSalum1201

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » October 22nd, 2021, 10:09 am

stlcatfan wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 4:36 pm
WildcatEngineer wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 9:50 am

Hype, the NBAF Lab is DEADLY DEADLY DEADLY serious, but the research and storage of the various pathogens will be and has to be done. I repeat it is going to change Manhattan and KSU.
How so? Just curious to get your take on how the NBAF will change Manhattan and K-State. Thanks.
St Lou, excellent question
- I talked to the Dean of Vet Medicine. She was a greeter to some of the New York employees coming to see Riley County. She noted they were pleasantly surprised that it was not a 3rd world setting. Several said they were planning on moving their parents and other relatives to Manhattan.
- There will be at least 100+ world experts in Agronomy, Vet Science, etc moving into the Manhattan Community
- Corporations are expected to open offices in the area to be next to the Lab and personnel
- FBI has opened an office in Manhattan
- More Politicians and Fed Government employees will be visiting the Lab thus increasing throughput of MHK Airport
- The support functions for the lab will help the economy (HVAC, custodial, food, retail, etc.)
- Discussion of what is being worked on at the Lab will be part of the community rumor mill.
- It is speculated that KSU faculty will improve and get more research money due to the new Lab

As with any economic change to a community there will be "cause - effect" actions that will alter life. In this case they will be on the high income and intelligence level.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
stlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » October 22nd, 2021, 10:18 am

winning the nbaf was an incredible accomplishment for kansas, k-state, and mhk. it was one of the few times that we saw true bipartisanship across the state and at the federal level. the economic impact will be felt for years and be a catalyst for growth at k-state across many platforms. that has always been the expectation. jon wefald and pat roberts were the originators.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 3):
WildcatEngineerstlcatfanPNW Cat
Why is there something rather than nothing?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » October 22nd, 2021, 10:18 am

bshea85 wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 10:02 am
Hypeman wrote:

Why does KSU bother to have a business school when KU has a better one, why does KU have an engineering school when KSU has a
better one, why does KSU have a college of ed when fort Hayes has a better one, etc … maybe we should remove all duplication?
This is not entirely true. As an engineer and someone who has recruited engineers from both KSU and KU and attended more career fairs than I'd like to admit, I can say, for a fact, that KU has a much better engineering program. The difference in 'product' is night-and-day. KU may suck at football, but it is one hell of a good school. In my mind, KSU should stick to Tech and Agriculture (including veterinary medicine, and agricultural engineering).
Not sure when you went to school, or what degree, but US News rankings actually has KSU and KU ranked as tied at 86th in the nation for engineering schools. I would think a lot of it depends on the actual degree as to your personal viewpoint.

When I was looking at schools, KSU had a highly thought of Architecture program as well as a Computer Science program. KU didn't even have an accredited Computer Science degree at that point. I don't imagine KU has closed the gap and surpassed KSU in those areas that KSU should not focus on those anymore.

And with the NBAF coming, why would it make sense for KSU to not heavily invest in education that is related to that with such a great resource to take advantage of? So many sciences, outside of Agriculture, can take advantage of that like Biology, Microbiology, Molecular & Cell Biology, Zoology, etc

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » October 22nd, 2021, 12:05 pm

Hypeman wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 7:23 pm
ChemicalKat wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 10:46 am
Regarding the duplication of degrees, college students pick their university based on more than just the degrees offered. If K-State didn't offer the degree I wanted and Emporia State was the only state school where I could get that education, I could guarantee you I would go out of state. No way would I spend my college years in Emporia.
The reasons for college choice are well documented in research. The primary factors are:

1. Availability of degree program
2. Location, location, location
3. Cost

For students that are economically challenged, these are the ‘only’ factors that matter. If the student is affluent, then other factors like campus activities, co-curriculars etc. come into play.

What’s the issue with Emporia? The school doesn’t have a bad reputation that I’m aware of.
Hype, I am the Lone Ranger on ESU and my logic on moving it to a Jr College is to a) save money b) maximize enrollment to KSU, KU, and WSU.

Nothing is going to happen with ESU or Washburn. This is only a blue sky idea. No matter how logical a concept is State Legislatures do not reduce, see Sam Brownback.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » October 22nd, 2021, 4:08 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 10:18 am
bshea85 wrote:

Not sure when you went to school, or what degree, but US News rankings actually has KSU and KU ranked as tied at 86th in the nation for engineering schools. I would think a lot of it depends on the actual degree as to your personal viewpoint.

When I was looking at schools, KSU had a highly thought of Architecture program as well as a Computer Science program. KU didn't even have an accredited Computer Science degree at that point. I don't imagine KU has closed the gap and surpassed KSU in those areas that KSU should not focus on those anymore.

And with the NBAF coming, why would it make sense for KSU to not heavily invest in education that is related to that with such a great resource to take advantage of? So many sciences, outside of Agriculture, can take advantage of that like Biology, Microbiology, Molecular & Cell Biology, Zoology, etc
My thoughts, too. I knew people at K-State majoring in engineering who grew up KU fans, but came to K-State because K-State's engineering program was better than KU's (according to them).
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » October 22nd, 2021, 4:11 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 10:09 am
stlcatfan wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 4:36 pm

How so? Just curious to get your take on how the NBAF will change Manhattan and K-State. Thanks.
- I talked to the Dean of Vet Medicine. She was a greeter to some of the New York employees coming to see Riley County. She noted they were pleasantly surprised that it was not a 3rd world setting. Several said they were planning on moving their parents and other relatives to Manhattan.
- There will be at least 100+ world experts in Agronomy, Vet Science, etc moving into the Manhattan Community
- Corporations are expected to open offices in the area to be next to the Lab and personnel
- More Politicians and Fed Government employees will be visiting the Lab thus increasing throughput of MHK Airport
- The support functions for the lab will help the economy (HVAC, custodial, food, retail, etc.)
- Discussion of what is being worked on at the Lab will be part of the community rumor mill.
- It is speculated that KSU faculty will improve and get more research money due to the new Lab

As with any economic change to a community there will be "cause - effect" actions that will alter life. In this case they will be on the high income and intelligence level.
Thanks! I remember a few years back hearing that there were lots of very expensive homes being built in Manhattan to accommodate the influx of research scientists who would be moving to Manhattan due to the NBAF.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » October 22nd, 2021, 6:32 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 4:11 pm
WildcatEngineer wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 10:09 am

Thanks! I remember a few years back hearing that there were lots of very expensive homes being built in Manhattan to accommodate the influx of research scientists who would be moving to Manhattan due to the NBAF.
I think those have been to accommodate retirees.

Do you think there is a chance this will change Manhattan from being a quaint little college town, which is what many love about it, including me, to a toxic wasteland, all in the name of economic progress?

How long until we have a disease named the Manhattan Syndrome? Like Lyme, NY which is right next to Plum Island.

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2019 ... ut/158529/

https://themercury.com/news/manhattan-c ... 70fe1.html

DCTwister

Post by DCTwister » October 23rd, 2021, 1:22 pm

bshea85 wrote:
Hypeman wrote:

Hi, serious question. I graduated KSU in electrical engineering in the early 90's. Like many I grew up as a KU fan but decided to go to KSU because perception that it was better in engineering and I just liked the people better so I went there. Graduated with a fantastic tech job for a large chip company that did not recruit at KU at the time, which to me more than justified my choice of attending KSU. 25-30 years later it makes little difference in my career, I've carved my own path. But if I had gone to KU, I wouldn't have had the opportunity for the cool job that I did get that put my career on the right foot.

That said -
- By what objective measure is KU a much better engineering program? How is the difference in product night and day?
- Has that changed in the past 25 years vs. KU, for the worse? In what way?
- Specifically, where is KSU lacking in how it is preparing its engineering graduates?
These users thanked the author DCTwister for the post:
stlcatfan