FARMAGEDON

The defending Big XII Champions
wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Re: FARMAGEDON

Post by wild@nite » October 12th, 2021, 8:49 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 8:11 pm
We have to change up what we have been doing on defense. We can't play "keep everything in front of you". We need to force stops as opposed to hoping opposing offenses make mistakes. Purdy will dink and dunk down the field with Hall getting his yards. I would play Cover 2 safeties with press man coverage and force Purdy to prove that he can beat you deep with his arm. Force him to beat you with NFL throws - prove he's worth the hype. If he is and does, then props to him. Then you have Green be responsible for Hall (Mike covers RB out of the backfield). Will/Joker has to spy Purdy on the run. SAM has to cover strong side TE.

I've made the point time and time again. Its completely pointless to try and get pressure with the front 3 when your coverage backs are playing soft coverage. The outlet is too easy for the QB to find the hot route and execute. The secondary coverage and front 3 have to work together. If we are going to pin our ears back on the DL, you had better have your CBs playing tight man coverage to disrupt timing routes and hot check downs.
I agree. With their running game and big TE's, soft won't work. You gotta put pressure on Purdy and force him to make decisions under pressure.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » October 12th, 2021, 8:55 pm

I thought our secondary was going to be a strength. For some reason, the coaching staff doesn’t seem to trust playing tight coverage. Must be an issue with the line backing corps. Thoughts?

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » October 13th, 2021, 12:13 am

IF the strategy is to "keep everything in front of them", we might as well put 2 players on the DL and drop everyone back. I would think we could still gang tackle Hall 10 yards down the field every touch he gets - because they would just run it down our throats. That whole strategy was novel about 10 years ago when defenses were trying to figure out how to slow down spread offenses. Offenses have adapted to that and are perfectly fine marching down the field every drive and taking points.

I'm a believer in "die with your boots on". If you go down, at least you go down swinging.

As for the coaches not trusting the secondary or playing press man much, Klanderman said straight up he and Klieman just "didn't want to give up the big play" and get in a shootout with OU. It had nothing to do with not trusting any specific players or unit, they just didn't want to take any chances of giving up a big play and losing any momentum. I think the plan was to bleed clock on offense, limit possessions, try to steal 1-2 possessions, execute on offense & special teams and win in a close one. They did everything but actually steal a couple of possessions. The on side kick could have been game changing. I still think the Weber catch on 4th down was a catch. Missed opportunities and lack of pressure to force OU off the field.

I expect a different approach against ISU because I don't think they are too worried about "giving up the big play" to WRs. Their targets are TEs and Hall, with Purdy being a dual threat. Their WRs are decent but not OU athletically. The only remaining game I expect th coaches to coach scared will be against Texas.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post:
PurpleOnWhite
EMAW

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » October 13th, 2021, 9:28 am

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 5:25 pm
I was there too for that game. Who was our 2nd string QB who played the 2nd half?
adam helm
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
WildcatEngineer
Why is there something rather than nothing?

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » October 13th, 2021, 11:49 am

Tbonespop wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 12:13 am
IF the strategy is to "keep everything in front of them", we might as well put 2 players on the DL and drop everyone back. I would think we could still gang tackle Hall 10 yards down the field every touch he gets - because they would just run it down our throats. That whole strategy was novel about 10 years ago when defenses were trying to figure out how to slow down spread offenses. Offenses have adapted to that and are perfectly fine marching down the field every drive and taking points.

I'm a believer in "die with your boots on". If you go down, at least you go down swinging.

As for the coaches not trusting the secondary or playing press man much, Klanderman said straight up he and Klieman just "didn't want to give up the big play" and get in a shootout with OU. It had nothing to do with not trusting any specific players or unit, they just didn't want to take any chances of giving up a big play and losing any momentum. I think the plan was to bleed clock on offense, limit possessions, try to steal 1-2 possessions, execute on offense & special teams and win in a close one. They did everything but actually steal a couple of possessions. The on side kick could have been game changing. I still think the Weber catch on 4th down was a catch. Missed opportunities and lack of pressure to force OU off the field.

I expect a different approach against ISU because I don't think they are too worried about "giving up the big play" to WRs. Their targets are TEs and Hall, with Purdy being a dual threat. Their WRs are decent but not OU athletically. The only remaining game I expect th coaches to coach scared will be against Texas.
Tb,
Not disagreeing re kstate’s strategy against OU; however, I am left to wonder if the same strategy wasn’t deployed against OSU. We made Spencer Sanders look like Tom Brady with all of the underneath throws in the first half. (Then OSU milked the clock in the second half.) So, are you thinking that we’ll press ISU with arguably equal or better RB and QB talent? I hope you are correct but I’ll have to see to believe.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » October 13th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Well, I think our coaches definitely did not want to give up quick strike plays when they knew we were playing with young QB's, being behind was not going to be a good thing, so sit back and hope the other team makes a mistake or you can hold them to FG's or whatever. Even with OU, the defense had to put in that game plan not really knowing whether Skylar was playing or not. Hopefully they get more aggressive with the defensive game plan this week knowing that our offense can score point as well.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » October 13th, 2021, 12:21 pm

tmcats wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 9:28 am
ToledoCat#3 wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 5:25 pm
I was there too for that game. Who was our 2nd string QB who played the 2nd half?
adam helm
TM, thank you, yes Adam had the Helm for the following week also when he started against Texas. His play calling was pretty limited to Option Right and , Option Left.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
tmcats

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » October 13th, 2021, 1:23 pm

clones wearing their colors.

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » October 13th, 2021, 3:20 pm

Thanks for the Adam Helm answer. Yep, that was a game for the ages.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » October 13th, 2021, 3:24 pm

cyclone fans hoping for best, expecting the worst. :rofl:

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/thread ... ay.266631/

NorthCyd
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Today at 12:30 PM
Add bookmark
Not much chatter because we are all scared shitless of this game. Manhatten has been a house of horrors for ISU and if ISU loses pretty much ever pre-season expectation is out the window.
LikeWinnerAgree Reactions:GoldCy, jctisu, cyclonehomer and 6 others
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
PurpleOnWhite