KU to Big East

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
Zoltar

KU to Big East

Post by Zoltar » September 16th, 2021, 4:47 pm

Not sure if this has been discussed, but KU might be a good fit in the Big East. Just like UConn, KU should consider dropping football and playing in a basketball driven league. They could put a Lax team in the stadium and draw a similar crowd.
Win the dang day!

iowa_wildcat

Post by iowa_wildcat » September 20th, 2021, 3:06 pm

KU cannot drop football. They would then have another football coach to payoff. Regardless how few are in the stands for football, the TV money brings in millions to support the basketball team.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » September 20th, 2021, 3:13 pm

iowa_wildcat wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 3:06 pm
KU cannot drop football. They would then have another football coach to payoff. Regardless how few are in the stands for football, the TV money brings in millions to support the basketball team.
Exactly. It wouldn't work because of financial reasons, but excluding that, it would make great sense. KU doesn't care about football and having the Wildcats be the only FBS team in the state that has a small population, would make a ton of sense.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » September 20th, 2021, 3:16 pm

Man,.dropping KU football would be cruel and inhumane to the sorority sisters and rich fashionistas that yearly plan a wardrobe for tailgating at stadium. Google wardrobe for tailgating at KU football. Big laugh snort.

PNW Cat

Post by PNW Cat » September 20th, 2021, 3:43 pm

Every time this topic gets bumped back up I get excited for a split second thinking we're finally going to get rid of them, only to remember it's a hypothetical thread. I know there are some on here that want them to stick around because of the "rivalry" but I've always considered them to be dead weight. They have a basketball program that is one of the more dirty programs in the country, and even with all the cheating they really don't win anything important. Then there is their football program that doesn't even deserve to be in the FCS. Their main rival should be Washburn. I'm just sick of them. There are schools that invest in their programs that deserve a place in the Big 12 more than the Jayhawks. I just wish we could evict them. That would be a beautiful sight, to kick those losers out the door. They might end up finding a home in another big conference, and if so, good for them. Let them leech off someone else.

iowa_wildcat

Post by iowa_wildcat » September 21st, 2021, 10:05 am

Winning the Big 12 in basketball a good portion of the time is not important?

WildcatEngineer

Post by WildcatEngineer » September 21st, 2021, 11:42 am

https://www.ksn.com/sports/jayhawks/ku- ... cut-costs/

I love to slam the Hawkers more than most. But their Athletic Department Financial issues might be more grave than what we see on the surface.
1. Booth Memorial Stadium is 100 years old in 2021. Adding high revenue Boxes to that structure can be done. But they are going to be expensive and will require binoculars to see the field.
2. Allen is truly iconic, but it is over 60 years old. Heaven help them if some ADA requirements are pulled from grandfathering.
3. The KU Natatorium is crumbling and not really an Olympic caliber facility. Expect what is left of KU Swimming to be phased out.
4. Rock Chalk Park is 5 miles from the Campus and was built on the cheap. Recruits are starting to figure out spending 60 minutes per day to get to facilities adds up.
5. KSU Athletic Department can continue and thrive with a $5-10 million annual reduction. I do not know what KU is going to do being not just broke, but having their hand out for crumbs.
6. If the Big 10 does not take KU or even if they take them and force them to take a 60% share until they can justify why they should be a part of the Big 10 is a financial burden for them.

My overall point is KSU is positioned to take a reduction in income. KU could be in for some bleak discussion.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
stlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » September 21st, 2021, 11:54 am

building on what wildcatengineer just wrote, ku athletics' net assets ($169 million) are $110 million less than k-state's ($279 million). net assets are essentially the same as equity. take all the asset value less all the liabilities and you get the owner's value.
"A tour of revenge." Noah Johnson

PNW Cat

Post by PNW Cat » September 21st, 2021, 11:58 am

iowa_wildcat wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 10:05 am
Winning the Big 12 in basketball a good portion of the time is not important?
I mean, yeah sure. If you consider that a real accomplishment when you also factor is all the cheating they did to accomplish that, but then fail to do anything important on the national level for almost 15 years. My point was that their sleazy coach has basically ruined the integrity of the game, yet he only has one national championship. With all the top classes they've had, and cheating they've done along the way, do you not think he should have more national championships?
These users thanked the author PNW Cat for the post:
stlcatfan

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » September 21st, 2021, 12:01 pm

In addition to the last 2 posts, how much are they still paying in buyouts to Miles and Long?

What about their current coaches?

How much longer will their baseball coach, Ritch Price, be at KU before they have to pay to hire a new one? He is on his 18th season. I would have thought that his DUI suspension in February might have been an easy out, but I don't think KU has the $$ to fire and hire another coach.

Their WBB coach, Brandon Schneider, hasn't finished higher then 9th in the Big 12 and that only happened twice to go with his four 10th place finishes. Going 57-98 and 14-94 in conference isn't going to keep his job much longer.

What happens with Bill Self is still to be determined. If penalty comes down, how much $$ will KU spend to fight it?
These users thanked the author AJcat7755 for the post:
stlcatfan