Big 12

The defending Big XII Champions
Nolaeer

Re: Big 12

Post by Nolaeer » July 31st, 2021, 10:04 am

tbone, dont think we're going to super conferences quite yet.
And no, the big 12 isnt done.

The main reason the SEC took OU and UT is so theyd have 6 of the 12 playoff spots. But the PAC and others are now saying slow down!!!!!!! We are not going to have a 12 team playoff where SEC has 6 teams in it.

12 team expanded playoff hasnt been voted on, and the SEC commissioner was 1 of 4 people who negotiated it(all the while backstabbing the big 12 and secretly getting OU and Texas into the SEC).

There is going to be a lot of pushback against this. SEC may be stuck now with 16 teams and still only 1 playoff spot. Its tv contract will be through the roof, but OU and Texas wont sniff the cfp. OU in particular will be hurt by the move to the sec if the 12 team expanded cfp dies, or, more likely, there is a limit on number of teams from same conference.

PAC may well stay at 12. BIG isnt going to add ISU and Kansas in response to sec taking OU and Texas. How weak is that? Do you think Ohio Sttae, Penn State, and Michigan are going to be okay with adding Kansas(worst power 5 football team) and ISU (doesnt even have a baseball team and historically as bad as Kansas in football) after SEC got blue bloods Texas and OU? I do not.

ACC may take WVU if it cant get Notre Dame. Might. WVU adds no extra value to ACC, but does increase its football status. WVU, however, doesnt have 80 million sitting around to pay the buyout even if ACC offers, so I think earliest WVU could be in ACC is 2025.

The media following image i posted above is not actual streaming numbers. it is how many twitter and other social media followers those programs have. It is an Indication of streaming value, but it is just a gauge, not actual streaming numbers.
These users thanked the author Nolaeer for the post:
KITNooga

Nolaeer

Post by Nolaeer » July 31st, 2021, 10:07 am

sticat, I think the big 12 would have to use some of the OU/UT buyout money to get UCF into Big 12 for the 2022 season. not sure what penalty would be for them to leave aac, but we'd have to pay it. i doubt theyd eat that to be in a big 12 that may not be around after the 2024 season.
These users thanked the author Nolaeer for the post:
stlcatfan

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » July 31st, 2021, 2:18 pm

i wonder if letting the cat out of the bag at this time is a ploy to see what the fall out will be. Kind of like going into your offensive set to see what the opposition will do on defense. If the defense is the one you want then run the play, if not call time out and re-evaluate. OU and UT may have agreed to sign on with the SEC contingent upon the SEC receiving several team offers in a 12 team playoff format. If it appears that this will not happen and they will have an even more difficult road to the playoffs then they presently do the whole deal may be scuttled.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » July 31st, 2021, 2:28 pm

It will be quite interesting to see if the 12-team playoff is even approved. The fallout could cause the decision to be re-visited as it seems reasonable to believe the SEC and ESPN are attempting to corner the market on playoff spots. Maybe the 10 commissioners attempt to wield some power - and maybe the SEC threatens to institute its own CFB. IMO, this SEC gambit was a bit premature

PurpleWildcat

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleWildcat » July 31st, 2021, 2:32 pm

Nolaeer wrote:
July 31st, 2021, 10:07 am
sticat, I think the big 12 would have to use some of the OU/UT buyout money to get UCF into Big 12 for the 2022 season. not sure what penalty would be for them to leave aac, but we'd have to pay it. i doubt theyd eat that to be in a big 12 that may not be around after the 2024 season.
To leave the AAC there is a 10 million dollar buy out. I had said it earlier. Each BIG8 school pay a little of it for an incentive and go get UCF and Cincinnati right now for the start of the 2022 season. I believe there would be another 25 million paid out to the conference by E$PN if they add two teams and get back to twelve.
These users thanked the author PurpleWildcat for the post:
stlcatfan

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » July 31st, 2021, 5:13 pm

What is required to bring in additional teams to our conference? Is it a majority vote, a quorum or unanimity?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » August 1st, 2021, 12:15 am

All other voters should in theory vote against a 12 team playoff, unless they plan to expand themselves because the SEC expansion is a clear plot to get more teams in. Even if other conferences expand, it won't match the SEC hype train so their will always be more SEC schools in then other conferences. Just look at the 4 team setup and see how many times a conference not named the SEC has had 2 teams in. Unless they put a limit on the number of teams from a conference it won't be worth it. And they should also put a requirement on how many conference games and P5 OOC you have to play because the SEC has been playing 8 conference games while most others play 9.

SEC can make their own playoff, that would be funny, just them playing the same teams they play in the season. Be about as fun as the NC rematch a few years ago between 2 SEC teams.

rajstat

Pick 'Em

Post by rajstat » August 2nd, 2021, 10:43 am

First of all, whose idea was it to have "12 team play-off"? Why not 8 or 16?
12 team can be done, but the cap-off for any conference should be 2/3.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 2nd, 2021, 10:49 am

rajstat wrote:
August 2nd, 2021, 10:43 am

will shields, gary barta, ty willingham, chris del conte, amongst others.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/spor ... ittee.aspx
Why is there something rather than nothing?

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » August 2nd, 2021, 11:05 am

tmcats wrote:
August 2nd, 2021, 10:49 am
rajstat wrote:
August 2nd, 2021, 10:43 am

will shields, gary barta, ty willingham, chris del conte, amongst others.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/spor ... ittee.aspx
A 12-team playoff definitely favors the 4 byes. I’m sure the SEC thinks they’ll get 2 of them. I, personally, hope that the playoff expansion decision is delayed until this realignment mess comes to a conclusion. It wouldn’t surprise me to see SEC/ESPN decide to have a 32-team mega conference (4 8-team divisions with a playoff like the nfl) and crown their own national champ.
These users thanked the author PurpleOnWhite for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85