Big 12

The defending Big XII Champions
oscar

Big 12

Post by oscar » July 29th, 2021, 5:13 pm

The only power five league that has not added teams from a fellow power league. Does this indicate being very noble or simply being a league for schools without options? In asking this I sure hope we go to the Pac 12 with a nice landing spot.

rajstat

Pick 'Em

Post by rajstat » July 29th, 2021, 6:11 pm

No one wanted to deal with Texas. Big 12 should have been aggressive and get FSU/Clemson (not a done deal but there was a murmur at that time).
These users thanked the author rajstat for the post:
stlcatfan

ksuaggrad

Post by ksuaggrad » July 29th, 2021, 8:02 pm

The Big 12 is done IMO. No conference can survive two rounds of defections and survive, particularly w/ no big name draws left. K-State needs to be lobbying HARD to the other conferences and if a spot is offered, take it! This is the time you worry about No. 1.

rajstat

Pick 'Em

Post by rajstat » July 29th, 2021, 8:07 pm

Big 12 is done. I agree. But probably not before BIG/PAC invites any of the teams. Right now, neither BIG, nor PAC nor FOX wants top invite any one as they all want maximum damage for ESPN and SEC. So, until that point, the "little" (not my word but the perception) 8 has no choice.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » July 29th, 2021, 8:31 pm

If the Big 12 somehow stayed together, we could be a fly in the ointment of college football if the ultimate plan is to go to 4 or even 2 super conferences. At least we could muck things up for a few years, especially if we continue to get tens of millions of dollars per school. And by 2025, there will be more players (i.e., big tech companies) with deep pockets in the business of live streaming sports. Or maybe things happen to where the powers that be find a home in a power conference for the 8 schools and everyone is happy.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
BamaCat
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » July 29th, 2021, 11:12 pm

The thing to do now is to not panic. Remaining Big 12 teams have to stick together and work together to find a solution which is best for the conference and its members.

PurpleWildcat

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleWildcat » July 30th, 2021, 3:40 am

There is, I believe, a little over a Billion dollars to split amongst the remaining eight schools if you combine the Texas and Oklahoma buy outs, and the remaining TV deal. That’s a little over 125 million dollars per school for four years of sticking together. I guess Texas & Oklahoma would still get their share of the revenue, but that still is a huge chunk of money that someone would have to give up just to leave now. Does anyone know for sure. If the two traitors are able to get out, would the TV deal stay the same, but split only eight ways then? I just don’t see how anyone could give that much revenue up. They would have a whole lot more cajones than I do.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » July 30th, 2021, 7:03 am

PurpleWildcat wrote:
July 30th, 2021, 3:40 am
There is, I believe, a little over a Billion dollars to split amongst the remaining eight schools if you combine the Texas and Oklahoma buy outs, and the remaining TV deal. That’s a little over 125 million dollars per school for four years of sticking together. I guess Texas & Oklahoma would still get their share of the revenue, but that still is a huge chunk of money that someone would have to give up just to leave now. Does anyone know for sure. If the two traitors are able to get out, would the TV deal stay the same, but split only eight ways then? I just don’t see how anyone could give that much revenue up. They would have a whole lot more cajones than I do.
That's a good question on the number of schools. If it has to be at least ten, then we should go out and offer the two best teams available in the G5 ranks, which most people seem to think is Cincy and UCF. Getting those two schools initially and then maybe going after the next best two to get back to 12 schools by the end of the current contract in 2025. It will take some time for those schools to get out of their current contracts should they decided to bolt for the Big 12. Hopefully, those who are getting paid the big bucks are making the right calls and getting their ducks in a row.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

Jax

Pick 'Em

Post by Jax » July 30th, 2021, 8:02 am

rajstat wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 6:11 pm
No one wanted to deal with Texas. Big 12 should have been aggressive and get FSU/Clemson (not a done deal but there was a murmur at that time).
Being in northeast Oklahoma and so close to Fayetteville, AR this is something some of us knew already. The Razorbacks could not get out of the SWC quick enough. I think most of the Big 8 schools back then were reluctant to merge with the defunct SWC, but probably were following OU's lead.
We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin

02Cat

Pick 'Em

Post by 02Cat » July 30th, 2021, 1:39 pm

The only surprise here is that OU & Texas chose now instead of two years from now. I think they did so because they figured Clemson and FSU would get an SEC invite if they didn't make this move now.

This is absolutely a reflection on how poorly the Big 12 has been as a conference. Think back to the very beginning with the manner in which Baylor made it into the conference and that really is telling of how dysfunctional this conference was and is.

I'm upset with OU and Texas, but I understand their position. If the powers that be would have made a bold move when Colorado and Nebraska left the conference, this would be totally different. Instead they screwed the pooch and here we are.
Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin