ranking b12 and other quarterbacks ...

The defending Big XII Champions
wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Re: ranking b12 and other quarterbacks ...

Post by wild@nite » July 15th, 2021, 5:56 pm

Define "total package". He has a rocket arm. He is elusive, just inexperienced last year, so still learning. Still managed over 3,000 yards passing, 28 tds, 7 int and his team improved throughout the year, as did he. Their running game wasn't very good early on either. Is he THE best in college football? Heck, I don't know, but he is the best in this conference, hands down and top 3 in the nation imo. He will likely throw for 3,500 yds plus and 35 tds this year and be in NY for the Heisman ceremony. If we beat them this year, then I will question his leadership ability for sure, but I watched him 4 times last year and he grew mentally. He hasn't hit his potential folks.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » July 15th, 2021, 8:00 pm

wild@nite wrote:
July 15th, 2021, 5:56 pm
Define "total package". He has a rocket arm. He is elusive, just inexperienced last year, so still learning. Still managed over 3,000 yards passing, 28 tds, 7 int and his team improved throughout the year, as did he. Their running game wasn't very good early on either. Is he THE best in college football? Heck, I don't know, but he is the best in this conference, hands down and top 3 in the nation imo. He will likely throw for 3,500 yds plus and 35 tds this year and be in NY for the Heisman ceremony. If we beat them this year, then I will question his leadership ability for sure, but I watched him 4 times last year and he grew mentally. He hasn't hit his potential folks.
I said it before the season and it turned put to be true, but it was a blessing KSU got OU that early because their non con didnt really test Rattler and KSU took advantage of his inexperience. Sadly, he wont be like that again.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » July 15th, 2021, 11:01 pm

I guess the total package in this case is referring to his upside and ability to come through in the clutch. Will he mentally and emotionally be able to grow into his skill set? Many talented signal callers succeeded in college but struggled in the NFL. Think Vince Young, Josh Freeman and Johnny Football. OU has had several QB Heisman candidates and some winners but a good percentage weren't able to translate their skills to the next level.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » July 16th, 2021, 10:03 am

katlander wrote:
July 15th, 2021, 11:01 pm
I guess the total package in this case is referring to his upside and ability to come through in the clutch. Will he mentally and emotionally be able to grow into his skill set? Many talented signal callers succeeded in college but struggled in the NFL. Think Vince Young, Josh Freeman and Johnny Football. OU has had several QB Heisman candidates and some winners but a good percentage weren't able to translate their skills to the next level.
I get that, but he has had 1 year as a starter and put up better #'s than all of those guys in year one if I'm not mistaken. Plus, he has a QB guy coaching him. Let's be honest. Vince Young couldn't read a defense. Josh Freeman couldn't take care of the football and Johnny was awesome in college at improvising. None of those translate to being successful long term in the NFL. I also question Freeman's "desire" to excel. Always did.

Will Rattler be a good NFL QB? I don't know, but I think he has more of the traits that translate. All I'm saying is it's way too early to judge his mentality.

I can't stand OU, but I think he is a good one and will only get better.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » July 16th, 2021, 5:37 pm

Rattler's biggest flaw for the NFL is one of his strengths for college. He is really good and improvising and making plays outside of the pocket with his feet. As a freshman, Rattler doesn't have a great pocket presence, so he is often leaving the pocket before he has to. OU has a huge talent advantage at other positions that his OL can block better, his WRs can get open, etc.

The problem in the NFL is, the talent gap isn't there. Even Mahomes, who likes to move in the pocket, has toned it down a lot. Because in the the NFL, it's much harder to get away with it. The OL doesn't know what the QB is doing when he moves, unplanned, outside of the pocket. Because there isn't a talent gap in the OL over the DL, it leads to penalties or lack of protection. That then leads to a even more pressured QB making harder throws and INTs, or a QB that gets hit too much and fumbles. And on the receiver side, OU's WR can get open a lot easier, giving Rattler easier targets when he does move. In the NFL, those WRs are going to be locked down a lot quicker. While OU may have 3-4 WRs that are better then the DB, an NFL team may have 1 dominant WR who gets doubled team and then your relying on less talented WRs to try and get open.

Rattler will need to learn how to stay in the pocket and read the defense, instead of improvising, and letting the superior talent at other positions make his job easier. Once he does that, we will see how good of a NFL QB he could be. Right now, it's hard to tell because he is making plays that wouldn't be as effective in the NFL.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » July 16th, 2021, 11:35 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
July 16th, 2021, 5:37 pm
Rattler's biggest flaw for the NFL is one of his strengths for college. He is really good and improvising and making plays outside of the pocket with his feet. As a freshman, Rattler doesn't have a great pocket presence, so he is often leaving the pocket before he has to. OU has a huge talent advantage at other positions that his OL can block better, his WRs can get open, etc.

The problem in the NFL is, the talent gap isn't there. Even Mahomes, who likes to move in the pocket, has toned it down a lot. Because in the the NFL, it's much harder to get away with it. The OL doesn't know what the QB is doing when he moves, unplanned, outside of the pocket. Because there isn't a talent gap in the OL over the DL, it leads to penalties or lack of protection. That then leads to a even more pressured QB making harder throws and INTs, or a QB that gets hit too much and fumbles. And on the receiver side, OU's WR can get open a lot easier, giving Rattler easier targets when he does move. In the NFL, those WRs are going to be locked down a lot quicker. While OU may have 3-4 WRs that are better then the DB, an NFL team may have 1 dominant WR who gets doubled team and then your relying on less talented WRs to try and get open.

Rattler will need to learn how to stay in the pocket and read the defense, instead of improvising, and letting the superior talent at other positions make his job easier. Once he does that, we will see how good of a NFL QB he could be. Right now, it's hard to tell because he is making plays that wouldn't be as effective in the NFL.
Nice post with many good talking points. I watched some highlight vids on Rattler because I had not seen a ton of him during the season. He was impressive in improvisation and his ability to get passes off quickly with accuracy. Often with what appeared to be just a flick of the wrist the ball was 330 yards down the field and in the hands of an open receiver. Often the receivers were pretty open but some were jump balls, but it was a highlight video. Only time will tell if he has the intangibles needed to be successful in the pros. He is undersized at 6-1 and 205.