3 more transfers out

The defending Big XII Champions
wazucat

Re: 3 more transfers out

Post by wazucat » April 7th, 2021, 10:53 am

If a converted walkon QB is ahead of you on the depth chart that's probably a sign that things are not going as well as hoped in your progression.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » April 7th, 2021, 12:02 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 5:51 pm
Man depth at LBer continues to be a major struggle. Had high hopes for Harris
That's sure not what Klanderman and Kleiman said in recent press conferences, both said the depth at LB is probably the best on the defense. Sounds like a guy like DaVonta Pritchard had already moved ahead of Harris, so not surprising.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » April 7th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 12:02 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
That's sure not what Klanderman and Kleiman said in recent press conferences, both said the depth at LB is probably the best on the defense. Sounds like a guy like DaVonta Pritchard had already moved ahead of Harris, so not surprising.
If the LB group can be a solid one this fall(as what's being indicated by the staff), then this defense could be scary good.
These users thanked the author KsJoey for the post:
stlcatfan

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » April 7th, 2021, 12:10 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
gdgjr78 wrote:
LBer depth last year was a HUGE problem and the level of play plummeted when Sullivan and Hughes missed time. The fact that multiple players switched positions TO LBer leads me to be even more concerned. The staff is going to say everything is hunky dory there no matter what.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » April 7th, 2021, 2:30 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 12:10 pm
Gorhoops wrote:

LBer depth last year was a HUGE problem and the level of play plummeted when Sullivan and Hughes missed time. The fact that multiple players switched positions TO LBer leads me to be even more concerned. The staff is going to say everything is hunky dory there no matter what.

I somewhat agree, but not on everything. I thought when Green and Fletcher played, they played pretty well, they were just forced to play way too may snaps for a couple of those games and obviously there was nothing behind them to give them a break. I think Green and Fletcher will be fine. Sounds like Green has really taken a step forward this spring. Also, some of the position switches were made to help depth at LB, but some of that was also to put guys in better spots to succeed for themselves. The main example being Wayne Jones. I think the biggest reason Jones moved is because he is better as an in-the-box player and the Klanderman said he struggled tackling in space. He also said Jone purposely kept his weight down to play safety and didn't let his body do what it wanted to do, and now he can do that. Munoz is a question mark, although I think he can play a decent bit role, but I don't really want him starting. If he is a 10-15 snap a game guy, I think he will be fine in that role.

I'm also very intrigued by this Austin Moore kid. If you remember before the Navy game, Hazelton kept mentioning him as a guy that had been doing good things. Now the coaches keep mentioning him as someone that has taken a huge step forward. Again, who knows as he is a walk-on, but multiple coaches have pointed him out as someone to watch. However, if he was that good, he would have played last fall, so who knows.

PurpleWildcat

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleWildcat » April 7th, 2021, 2:38 pm

To me, moving the two Safeties to Linebacker is more of an Indication that they didn't do a good enough job at their previous position and got beat out. They both are athletic enough, smart enough and have game time experience to make the switch in my opinion. I just hope Jones can learn to wrap up when he tackles.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » April 7th, 2021, 3:13 pm

I think it's easy to agree with the coaches that we have depth at LB. They listed a lot of guys. I'm just concerned with the "quality" aspect of that depth. Guess we will see!

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » April 7th, 2021, 5:35 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:30 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 12:10 pm

I somewhat agree, but not on everything. I thought when Green and Fletcher played, they played pretty well, they were just forced to play way too may snaps for a couple of those games and obviously there was nothing behind them to give them a break. I think Green and Fletcher will be fine. Sounds like Green has really taken a step forward this spring. Also, some of the position switches were made to help depth at LB, but some of that was also to put guys in better spots to succeed for themselves. The main example being Wayne Jones. I think the biggest reason Jones moved is because he is better as an in-the-box player and the Klanderman said he struggled tackling in space. He also said Jone purposely kept his weight down to play safety and didn't let his body do what it wanted to do, and now he can do that. Munoz is a question mark, although I think he can play a decent bit role, but I don't really want him starting. If he is a 10-15 snap a game guy, I think he will be fine in that role.

I'm also very intrigued by this Austin Moore kid. If you remember before the Navy game, Hazelton kept mentioning him as a guy that had been doing good things. Now the coaches keep mentioning him as someone that has taken a huge step forward. Again, who knows as he is a walk-on, but multiple coaches have pointed him out as someone to watch. However, if he was that good, he would have played last fall, so who knows.
I feel Green is ready to break out too, I feel really good about him. The rest of your post is more than fair and I hope thats the way things turn out. Maybe I'm still suffering from PTSD from the last game against Texas when they ran for over 300 yards at more than 10 yards a carry.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » April 7th, 2021, 7:00 pm

Backup RB Kaelen Shankle is transferring. Walked on to KSU over offers from Morgan State and Texas Southern.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » April 8th, 2021, 8:18 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 5:35 pm
Gorhoops wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:30 pm

I feel Green is ready to break out too, I feel really good about him. The rest of your post is more than fair and I hope thats the way things turn out. Maybe I'm still suffering from PTSD from the last game against Texas when they ran for over 300 yards at more than 10 yards a carry.

I understand that, my goodness we tried to play Eli Sullivan at safety against Texas??? That was nuts. I think my thought at this point with the LB's is kind of feeling okay if they stay pretty healthy, but it can get pretty shaky if we see a run of injuries at that position. I think Green is the key. We really need him to stay healthy and live up to his promise. Fingers crossed.