2021 Schedule for real?

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
PSSXNTEX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2021 Schedule for real?

Post by PSSXNTEX » January 13th, 2021, 4:48 pm

On the fence about the game moving. On the positive side, I'm a season ticket holder and live in DFW so I won't have to make the 1200 mile round trip drive 3 weekends in a row. What I do know is that we will make that drive the other 7 weekends, stay my mandatory 2 nights in a local hotel, visit our favorite restaurants/bars and shop at our favorite shops/stores. We do our best to leave quite a bit of $ in MHK each time we visit. If you are thinking about coming down, It's not that bad of drive.

featurethefullback

Post by featurethefullback » January 13th, 2021, 4:56 pm

This is a pure sell out. I cannot imagine doing this to season ticket holders and the City during Covid. The only justification can be the anticipation that full capacity at BSFS is not going to happen this year. Geno is not the brightest. Wins must not matter any more. Loyalty does not matter. Just the check.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » January 13th, 2021, 6:07 pm

tmcats wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 3:19 pm
maybe we should play iowa in arrowhead? bill snyder
That was an "extra" game that was in addition to scheduled 3 OOC games and the NCAA allowed teams to play that 12th game, only if they were a "classic". It only lasted for a few years before the NCAA stopped it. It wasn't moving an existing scheduled home/home series, it was adding an extra game onto the schedule that wasn't there before.

Not to mention that KSU needed a marquee game that year, after finishing in top 10 the year before, and playing in the Eddie Robinson Classic allowed KSU to play the (I believe) first game of the season, on August 26th, when no other games were playing and they could get more media attention. And KSU had 3 OOC home games, although puds, for the season ticket holders.

And your talking about a game in KC, 2 hours from Manhattan, so any fan that was already going to games in Manhattan didn't have to make that much more of a trip to see the game. Snyder new the importance of the home crowd, so he didn't have that many neutral games, and when he did, they were in KC which still could get a large KSU fan base.

I get the benefits of having a game in TX, but a year after limited attendance, a lost P5 game in Vandy at home, it is really unfortunate that KSU season ticket holders can't get this game as part of the included package.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 13th, 2021, 6:58 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 6:07 pm
tmcats wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 3:19 pm
maybe we should play iowa in arrowhead? bill snyder
That was an "extra" game that was in addition to scheduled 3 OOC games and the NCAA allowed teams to play that 12th game, only if they were a "classic". It only lasted for a few years before the NCAA stopped it. It wasn't moving an existing scheduled home/home series, it was adding an extra game onto the schedule that wasn't there before.

Not to mention that KSU needed a marquee game that year, after finishing in top 10 the year before, and playing in the Eddie Robinson Classic allowed KSU to play the (I believe) first game of the season, on August 26th, when no other games were playing and they could get more media attention. And KSU had 3 OOC home games, although puds, for the season ticket holders.

And your talking about a game in KC, 2 hours from Manhattan, so any fan that was already going to games in Manhattan didn't have to make that much more of a trip to see the game. Snyder new the importance of the home crowd, so he didn't have that many neutral games, and when he did, they were in KC which still could get a large KSU fan base.

I get the benefits of having a game in TX, but a year after limited attendance, a lost P5 game in Vandy at home, it is really unfortunate that KSU season ticket holders can't get this game as part of the included package.
I didn't think it was a home game originally. So what about Black College game vs Cali? Snyder was thrown under the bus 3 times. 2 have been debunked.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » January 13th, 2021, 9:38 pm

wild@nite wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 6:58 pm
I didn't think it was a home game originally. So what about Black College game vs Cali? Snyder was thrown under the bus 3 times. 2 have been debunked.
The BCA Classic, in 2003, was the 5th OOC game. It did not take a current game and move it. In that year, KSU had 4 other, home OOC games combined with the 4 Big 12 games, giving KSU season ticket holders 8 home games plus a game in KC. KSU became one of the few teams pre playoff to play 15 games in a season.

I don't remember the details as to why this was allowed by the NCAA, but the BCA games were to promote BCA, generate funds and ideally use coaches with African American coaches. It only lasted from 97-04.

KSU again was coming off a top 10 season and needed the early exposure and a marquee game to help boost their rankings and their current OOC games weren't stellar (although they did lose to Marshall). And again, it was in KC, which was close enough to Manhattan that local fans could attend.

Bill Snyder understood what KSU football meant to the city of Manhattan and to the school and tried to push to have home games as much as possible to help with that. There were a few exceptions that were valid, 1992 Toyko took a NU home game as would have 2010 versus Iowa State in Arrowhead, although the 2010 game was a 2 game series where Iowa State also gave up their home game in 2009 for Arrowhead as well so at least both teams gave up a home game. Maybe they could have added another Stanford home game in the future to make up for it?

The other part is why Arlington? I know KSU has fans in TX, but they already play games in TX yearly. Is there another location that would have been of benefit for recruits and fans that KSU already doesn't play at? KSU has been hitting up Georgia, how about play a game in the Falcons stadium? Or maybe a game in Denver for the west KS fans? Florida is always a hot bed of recruits, why not there? But hey, maybe KSU is just getting acclimated to where they will play the Big 12 title game later in the year just like in 2003 :D

I get why KSU is doing it. In a year where $$ was lost due to lack of ticket sales, the payday can help. The exposure for the program can help. The recruits will like it. However, it doesn't come without costs to season ticket holders, or the city of Manhattan. Both sides have a valid argument. How much fun was the 2014 game against Auburn or the game against USC? How big of a feel did those games have? Taking it to a neutral site kind of kills the atmosphere and takes away from the college football part IMO. But it is what it is. Maybe we can treat it like a preseason bowl game and have a large following travel down south.

So far, in 2022, KSU is scheduled to have 3 home OOC games so that helps ease the pain a bit. I really hope they don't try to move the MU game to Arrowhead though.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » January 13th, 2021, 10:23 pm

We need some money to pay for the new tax.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 13th, 2021, 10:24 pm

k-state with this 'classic' in arlington still has 7 home games, seven! $2.8 million for playing in cowboys stadium. national exposure. home to thousands of k-state alums. players love it. great for recruiting texas. you guys need to take a breath and drink beer over whine. I'm going to drive down and enjoy the bowl-like atmosphere.
"Live together as brothers, or perish together as fools." MLK

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » January 14th, 2021, 8:09 am

From the looks of twitter the players seem to be pretty excited about the game at Jerry World, puts them on a big stage in an NFL stadium against a good team. We still have 7 home games. We will make huge money, which like it or not is important. Sure, it sucks that the game is taken from Manhattan, but still with 7 home games, this is the time to do it.

I do like reading at times when people gripe about how Taylor or whoever is "selling out for the almighty dollar" or "its all about the money," but then also gripe and moan when we don't give Hazelton a million to stay and coach the defense. Always makes me laugh.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post:
tmcats

Ozarkcat
Has thanked: 0

Post by Ozarkcat » January 14th, 2021, 8:43 am

tmcats wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 10:24 pm
k-state with this 'classic' in arlington still has 7 home games, seven! $2.8 million for playing in cowboys stadium. national exposure. home to thousands of k-state alums. players love it. great for recruiting texas. you guys need to take a breath and drink beer over whine. I'm going to drive down and enjoy the bowl-like atmosphere.
Exactly. Season ticket packages are generally based on seven home games, meaning K-State would've had to raise package prices to account for that "extra" home game if it was played in MHK. This way, KSU gets a big paycheck for playing in DFW on top of the normal seven home games.
White....Straight....Conservative....Christian! How else may I offend you today?

"You can’t make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there." - Mark Rippetoe

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » January 14th, 2021, 11:18 am

Ozarkcat wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 8:43 am
tmcats wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 10:24 pm
Exactly. Season ticket packages are generally based on seven home games, meaning K-State would've had to raise package prices to account for that "extra" home game if it was played in MHK. This way, KSU gets a big paycheck for playing in DFW on top of the normal seven home games.
You can put as much lipstick on this pig as you want. Personally, I spent a lot of $ attending the game in Palo Alto with the understanding that Stanford would be returning the favor.

Do you remember the electricity in the air the night we played USC? I was expecting that atmosphere once again. We won’t see it in Jerry World.

I’m sorry, but the fan base just got hosed. Trading some no name OOC game for Stanford isn’t a fair trade for this fan. Or MHK.
These users thanked the author PurpleOnWhite for the post (total 2):
wild@nitegdgjr78