nfl ratings are sicko ...

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: nfl ratings are sicko ...

Post by tmcats » September 16th, 2020, 6:50 pm

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 5:39 pm
While I've no doubt there are numerous people that wish professional athletes would just "shut up and play", if you go look at any graph of television viewership for the last decade you'll see the trend....or not, sometimes it's uncomfortable to acknowledge certain truths that don't align with your beliefs.
what 'truths' do you speak of, willie?
Censorship is to free speech as lynching is to justice.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » September 16th, 2020, 7:38 pm

seriously, if you look, you'll see that television viewership has been going down for a very long time, but I've no doubt that those offended by the players expressing their views are also negatively impacting the numbers...

it was kind of weird that the afternoon time slot was the only one that didn't go down

EDIT: actually it looks like it wasn't just the afternoon slot, apparently FOX simply had the better match-ups(at least in terms of viewership)
"The peculiar office of a demagogue is to advance his own interests, by affecting a deep devotion to the interests of the people. .”

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » September 17th, 2020, 2:49 am

I wouldn't be too quick to predict the demise of the NFL. There's a heckuva lot of other stuff going on now that will subside sooner (the election) or later (Covid). America needs its bread and circuses. In the long run the prominence of African Americans in college hoops and the NBA, and of Latin players in MLB, will continue to be a net plus for racial relations. Not a solution, but a net plus.

I'm drawing a blank on the name of a prominent hoops coach from maybe the 1960s who said 'the administration asked me to recruit more white players so I signed Willie White and Rufus White.' Can anybody help with his name?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » September 17th, 2020, 10:29 am

that was then-washington state's coach george raveling.

bigpurpleman

Post by bigpurpleman » September 17th, 2020, 11:01 am

I haven't watched a complete NFL game since the 1979 Super Bowl.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » September 17th, 2020, 7:42 pm

Highway26north wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 2:49 am
I wouldn't be too quick to predict the demise of the NFL. There's a heckuva lot of other stuff going on now that will subside sooner (the election) or later (Covid). America needs its bread and circuses. In the long run the prominence of African Americans in college hoops and the NBA, and of Latin players in MLB, will continue to be a net plus for racial relations. Not a solution, but a net plus.
I don't think the NFL will meet its demise, but I also don't think it will ever be like it once was in terms of popularity. Fans are angry and fed up. It has even gotten to the point where an accused rapist, Jacob Blake, has his name on the helmets of several NFL players. What a slap in the face to rape victims, especially Blake's victim.

Back in the spring, a lot of people thought that when sports started up again, the television ratings would be through the roof because sports fans had been deprived of sports for so long due to COVID. Yet, ratings are down sharply for the NBA, MLB, and now the NFL (although it is still early in the season). I think the PGA (golf!) has been getting better ratings than the NBA.

A lot of fans have checked out. It is going to take a lot to bring them back. I agree that America needs its bread and circuses, but today there are many other entertainment options compared to 30 years ago. Like I said in an earlier post, I stopped watching professional sports (and most college sports) a long time ago. I don't ever foresee going back.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » September 17th, 2020, 10:02 pm

i watched a little of the browns/nati game tonight and then went to my dvr file and watched isu/louisiana instead. i just cannot get excited about 'the league.' and it started way before the political stuff. this is deeper for me than that.