The case for Will Howard at QB

The defending Big XII Champions
KsJoey

The case for Will Howard at QB

Post by KsJoey » September 12th, 2020, 6:28 pm

Skyler obviously will have some advantages over a true freshman in many aspects, but if Will can throw with accuracy and consistency, I sure hope the staff will give him a real chance to take the reigns.

There wasn’t much to go off today in very limited snaps. But this is a team that will likely be playing from behind for much of the year. We need to improve our air attack and maybe that starts at QB. Will is a smart kid, it’ll be interesting to see how he does with 2-3 series
These users thanked the author KsJoey for the post:
KSUbetcha

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » September 12th, 2020, 6:44 pm

KsJoey wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 6:28 pm
Skyler obviously will have some advantages over a true freshman in many aspects, but if Will can throw with accuracy and consistency, I sure hope the staff will give him a real chance to take the reigns.

There wasn’t much to go off today in very limited snaps. But this is a team that will likely be playing from behind for much of the year. We need to improve our air attack and maybe that starts at QB. Will is a smart kid, it’ll be interesting to see how he does with 2-3 series
Skylar's inaccuracy and up and down play frustrates me as much as anyone but I'm worried about throwing Howard behind that OL right now. There isn't a good option available, just a bunch of problems.
These users thanked the author gdgjr78 for the post (total 2):
KsJoeyKITNooga
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

seanrhoten@att.net

Post by seanrhoten@att.net » September 12th, 2020, 6:51 pm

I think it was a terrible offensive line that was the problem today. That was pathetic. They were never in place a ne would block the wrong person and leave someone open to the QB every play

catl

Post by catl » September 12th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Thompson can't throw deep consistently
These users thanked the author catl for the post:
opcatzen

ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Post by ksustars754 » September 12th, 2020, 7:17 pm

Does anyone else feel like Skylar guides the ball instead of throwing it? Especially on the deep balls.

GenCuster

Post by GenCuster » September 12th, 2020, 7:33 pm

I thought the o-line played okay mid way through the 1st quarter and into the 2nd quarter but fell apart in the 2nd half. Was that due to injuries or did Ak State just play better in the 2nd half?
These users thanked the author GenCuster for the post:
wazucat

wazucat

Post by wazucat » September 12th, 2020, 7:37 pm

Just spit balling it but you really can not expect a well oiled machine with the 3rd string center calling out blocking assignments .
These users thanked the author wazucat for the post:
KITNooga

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » September 12th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Backup and then 3rd string center along with an OL that is in it's first game. Missing several backups that would have helped with the rotation.

Missing #2 and #3 WR in Gill and Youngblood.

Missing Wright at RB.

Playing against an uneven front that isn't typical in the Big 12.

No excuses, but I doubt Howard would have fared much better given the circumstances.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » September 12th, 2020, 8:08 pm

GenCuster wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 7:33 pm
I thought the o-line played okay mid way through the 1st quarter and into the 2nd quarter but fell apart in the 2nd half. Was that due to injuries or did Ak State just play better in the 2nd half?
I thought when the starting C went down and they moved Adler over from G to C things went bad really fast. They put in the 3rd string C later thats a walk-on from Kansas and things started to improve some imo. Difficult situation for those new guys anyway and then their glue guy at C goes down to make things worse.

Regarding Skylars struggles throwing the ball downfield he doesn't have a strong arm and his footwork gets sloppy at times imo. Even on that long pass that Knowles ended up kind of dropping Skylar threw him back into the defender instead of leading him across the field making it an easier catch. He continually throws the ball over the wrong shoulder and leads his wrs back into DBs that are trailing. The miracle one handed catch Knowles made he was WIDE open and should have walked in with a TD.
These users thanked the author gdgjr78 for the post:
GenCuster
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » September 13th, 2020, 2:43 am

AJcat7755 wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 7:46 pm
Backup and then 3rd string center along with an OL that is in it's first game. Missing several backups that would have helped with the rotation.

Missing #2 and #3 WR in Gill and Youngblood.

Missing Wright at RB.

Playing against an uneven front that isn't typical in the Big 12.

No excuses, but I doubt Howard would have fared much better given the circumstances.

Arky State had challenges too.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... rY&ampcf=1