AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Re: Trotter

Post by AJcat7755 » September 12th, 2020, 8:32 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 8:24 pm
AJcat7755 wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 8:12 pm

At this time Deuce won't be the lead back getting 15+ carries a game. He wouldn't hold up for a whole season. He also isn't the type of back to run between the tackles and fall forward in short yard situations. He can't lead block for other RBs. He won't be in there blocking for the QB on 3rd downs. I agree, his is going to be special in his own way, but he is going to need to be paired with a bigger back for the other duties.
Well what I saw today from trotter turning 18 touches into 51 yds he isnt that guy either. Deuce turned his 13 touches into 71 yds and frankly looked far more explosive. Klieman also said previously that four backs would get work this game. Trotter, Deuce, Burns, and Wright were expected to all play.
How much of that was play calling and how much of that was the player? Trotter was given a lot of power runs up the middle, which the OL was getting blown up all day. Would Deuce have fared any better trying to run up the middle like that? Would he still have his speed and fresh legs if he was the one getting smoked all day?

Likewise, Deuce was given a lot of outside runs to utilize his speed, how would Trotter have fared with those calls or having be the change of pace back with fresh legs?

Not saying Trotter is the answer, but Deuce isn't going to be an every down back. Trotter, for all his lack of running, was a good blocker for both the QB and for other RBs. Deuce whiffed on a block as well as failing completely trying to lead block for Trotter. I don't think Trotter is the answer, but they need a big back to complement Deuce. I was really hoping that would be Burns, but for whatever reason, he didn't see much time.
These users thanked the author AJcat7755 for the post:
GenCuster

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » September 12th, 2020, 8:47 pm

The scuttlebutt before the game was that we’d run right over them.

catl
Has thanked: 0

Post by catl » September 13th, 2020, 12:15 am

Cats are in trouble if Trotter is really your #1RB

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » September 13th, 2020, 12:30 am

Duece needs to add about 20lbs of muscle in the off-season, and then the way he’s used would be more multifaceted. Even at 190 he may not be an every down back but he could be more than just your outside and speed guy. Plus his blocking abilities would only get better with more weight. Right now, guys DE and LBs would just plow through him.

Let’s hope Duece can put in the work in the off-season. He has a special talent that looks like the staff wants to utilize, which is great.

ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Post by ksustars754 » September 13th, 2020, 9:05 am

The truth is, no one can say what they really think about Trotter. It would come off as too mean to a college kid.

I still watched games after the loss, and every back I watched was considerably better. These were backs on KU (Gardner not just Pooka), CCU, Texas State, etc. It wasn’t just Etienne or guys like that.

Beyond the lack of athleticism, the more bothersome part is vision and awareness. He can’t control his lack of speed, quickness, explosiveness, elusiveness. What he can control is his football IQ. Charles Jones was not a great RB especially athletically. However, he still could gain some yards bc he could find some holes.

I never ever thought I’d be comparing RBs to Jones.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » September 13th, 2020, 2:39 pm

His name is trotter for a reason

gdgjr78

Post by gdgjr78 » September 14th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Coach K said today duece was the best player on the field for KSU and will get more PT moving forward. Good news 👍
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » September 14th, 2020, 12:39 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 12:27 pm
Coach K said today duece was the best player on the field for KSU and will get more PT moving forward. Good news 👍
I would like to see him return kickoffs/punts. I think he can be utilized there, esp with Youngblood out. Though, he's not a blocker so that could be a problem if someone else catches it.

gdgjr78

Post by gdgjr78 » September 14th, 2020, 12:49 pm

KsJoey wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 12:39 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 12:27 pm
I would like to see him return kickoffs/punts. I think he can be utilized there, esp with Youngblood out. Though, he's not a blocker so that could be a problem if someone else catches it.
At this point he needs to get offensive touches however they can get it done. I don't care if he can block or not at this point. Over the past 6 games (5 last year and 1 this year) KSU is averaging 3 yards a carry. Thats abysmal and finishing 9th out of 10 teams in yards per carry in conference play is horrible. The offense needs an overhaul and injection of explosiveness especially in the backfield. If you really dig into the numbers last year we were not very good on offense at all even with a senior laden OL.
The ST and D bailed them out over and over.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » September 14th, 2020, 12:57 pm

@Cole_Manbeck
· Sep 13
Went back and charted K-State’s K-State’s running plays with the RBs yesterday. When K-State ran off tackle with the RBs it had 12 carries for 73 yards (6 yards per rush). They had 17 carries in-between the tackles for 15 yards (0.9 yards per rush). Longest run was 5 yards inside
These users thanked the author KsJoey for the post:
gdgjr78