The defending Big XII Champions
Hypeman

Re: another ranking ... we suck ...

Post by Hypeman » August 2nd, 2020, 5:43 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 4:32 pm
wild@nite wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 5:19 am

I agree, however, the bowl game had zero to do with execution. Go back and watch again. I've not talked to any other football coaches that disagree that we were dead set on running it when the passing game was there. We had a game plan, Navy stopped it and we were too stubborn to adjust, until the 4th qtr. When we did, we flew right down the field for a TD to take the lead. We were 2 TDs better than Navy, but played 3 qtrs trying to force our run game when Navy was geared up to stop it. That ain't lack of execution. That's not taking what the defense is giving you. It was there. Again, go back and watch the game if you don't believe me.
The bowl game highlighted perhaps Messinghams greatest weakness imo. He struggles to adjust his game plan if the defense is successful at stopping his initial scheme. The Navy game was a painful example of it, it was obvious Navy was geared to stop the run and KSU had playmakers outside capable of getting chunk plays consistently. That game left a real bad taste in my mouth
We were clearly out-schemed in that game. Whether that was coaching or the fact that their players are also intellectuals that could grasp and implement the necessary schemes, I have no idea. But don’t underestimate that 50% of the game is 90% mental and Navy's players have to be smart or they don’t last at the academy.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » August 2nd, 2020, 8:16 pm

Hypeman wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 5:43 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 4:32 pm

The bowl game highlighted perhaps Messinghams greatest weakness imo. He struggles to adjust his game plan if the defense is successful at stopping his initial scheme. The Navy game was a painful example of it, it was obvious Navy was geared to stop the run and KSU had playmakers outside capable of getting chunk plays consistently. That game left a real bad taste in my mouth
We were clearly out-schemed in that game. Whether that was coaching or the fact that their players are also intellectuals that could grasp and implement the necessary schemes, I have no idea. But don’t underestimate that 50% of the game is 90% mental and Navy's players have to be smart or they don’t last at the academy.
Hey I'm not slighting Navy at all, that was a solid solid football team. The KSU staff just did not adjust our play calling and it caused the offense to be stuck in neutral until they were forced to be more aggressive. Our play calling that game was geared towards not losing instead of winning imo.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 3rd, 2020, 4:53 pm

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/B ... 49634258_5

T-9 K-State: Phil Steele's Take: "They draw 5 conf road games but do have a solid defense and [experienced] QB. They also have my #2 Special Tms in the B12. Despite me picking KSt here, I do think they get back to a bowl."

What 247Sports says: Kansas State returns the fewest starters in the Big 12, but the Wildcats could surprise thanks to the aforementioned defense and an underrated group of weapons. The offensive line coming together around All-Big 12 guard Josh Rivas could be the biggest key. Protecting Skylar Thompson and providing holes for the running game are priorities.
Why is there something rather than nothing?