Senior QBs...Help me Out

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Senior QBs...Help me Out

Post by ksustars754 » July 23rd, 2020, 11:11 am

So I’ve seen it mentioned a few times but wanted to take it a step further (most based on memory so feel free to correct). Obviously this doesn’t have to play out but:

Skylar Thompson: TBD
Jesse Ertz 2016 (counting as senior bc injury in 2017 right?): 9-4
Joe Hubener: Hardly counts but 6-7
Jake Waters: 9-4
Collin Klein: 11-2
Carson Coffman: 7-6
Freems: no senior year
Webb/Meier: not good probs 4-7 or so?
Roberson: 11-4
Beasley: think 01 was senior which was disappointing but kind of misleading bc won tons of games as soph/junior
Bishop: 11-2

My point is, KState has done very well with a Senior QB and I really don’t think this year (assuming we play) will be any different. Now I understand Skylar is probably well below most of these guys but I’ll put him above Carson and right in line with Ertz.

8-4 or 9-3 feels right and I’m hoping/thinking ST10 leaves on a strong season.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 23rd, 2020, 11:21 am

skylar is set to have a hell of senior year. he has all the tools. he's fast. elusive. solid arm. it's decision making that has been inconsistent. his games against ou and ku last year were stellar. today, i'd put him in the middle somewhere of that list: bishop, ck, e3, beas, skylar, may, waters, and so on. skylar may move up a couple slots by year's end.
Censorship is to free speech as lynching is to justice.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » July 23rd, 2020, 11:32 am

Skyler has some solid WR options... it's a young group, but they're talented and if they take the next step forward, we should be good there. That's a big plus. However, losing the entire starting line is a bit of a concern, that we won't know the full extent of until a few games in. Plus relying on mostly inexperienced/young backs.

With that said, I see Skyler having a solid year, best one yet. Lets hope his decision making is consistent.

Texan4KSU
Been thanked: 0

Post by Texan4KSU » July 23rd, 2020, 1:46 pm

I think Skylar and our offense as a whole has a great chance to put up big numbers. Although young and lacking experience at a lot of the skill positions I feel we have as much speed and athletic ability as any offensive team we have put on the field. If we can get Wheeler back at full speed at TE and find one or 2 of our young RBs to have a breakout year in receptions, Skylar will have unlimited options in the passing game. I would guess defensive coaches will try to test the O line as I see more than a few good weapons on offense who should be able to get separation on their routes. I hope we play this year as watching this offense should be a lot of fun as the season progresses....... I could see Thompson leaving on a big positive after this season and possibly as one of our top 5 or 6 QBS ever.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » July 23rd, 2020, 2:46 pm

Hubener was only a JR in the 2015 record where KSU had a 6-7 record. He also didn't QB every game that year as Kody Cook played a lot of snaps in several games. His SR year, he really only played significant minutes in 1 game, against OU after Ertz was knocked out of the game.

Ertz went 3-2 in games his SR year before being injured. Then Delton/Thompson took the rest of the games.

Chad May went 9-3 as a SR after going 9-2-1 as a JR

Grant Gregory went 6-5 as a SR. (He missed the UCLA game which Carson Coffman started and took the L)

Webb never played as a SR. That would have been 2006 when Meier was a SR and Freeman took over halfway through and they also had Everidge. He transferred to Texas College, a NAIA school, for his SR year.

Meier was a senior in 2006 and really only played significant minutes in 5 games, where he went 3-2. Then Freeman took over that team.

Beasley still went 11-3 as a SR

Worst case it seems is .500. But who knows what happens with OOC games, bowl games, etc.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 23rd, 2020, 3:12 pm

beas's senior team at the cotton bowl i always thought was that day the best ever fielded by k-state. Newman was a freshman corner coming off the bench. finish #8 in the country. quincy morgan, David Allen, scobey, Cartwright, pierce, butler. they were really loaded.
Censorship is to free speech as lynching is to justice.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » July 23rd, 2020, 3:47 pm

tmcats wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 11:21 am
skylar is set to have a hell of senior year. he has all the tools. he's fast. elusive. solid arm. it's decision making that has been inconsistent. his games against ou and ku last year were stellar. today, i'd put him in the middle somewhere of that list: bishop, ck, e3, beas, skylar, may, waters, and so on. skylar may move up a couple slots by year's end.
plenty of upside to Skylar. sometimes, that decision making just needs time to click. then again, sometimes it just doesn't.

watching him play as an underclassman, wonder if he was just back there reading/reacting. being a gunslinger. last year, perhaps thinking too much?

hope to get to see him have a senior campaign. that's for sure.

as for Beasley, wasn't it his junior year where he was dealing with shoulder issues and Helm had to finish the game (and win it) at ISU? or was this his senior year?

nope: Beas went 11-3 his senior year with a win over Tennessee in the bowl game. Lost to OU twice that year. aTm once. and beat #4 NU.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » July 23rd, 2020, 3:49 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 2:46 pm
Hubener was only a JR in the 2015 record where KSU had a 6-7 record. He also didn't QB every game that year as Kody Cook played a lot of snaps in several games. His SR year, he really only played significant minutes in 1 game, against OU after Ertz was knocked out of the game.

Ertz went 3-2 in games his SR year before being injured. Then Delton/Thompson took the rest of the games.

Chad May went 9-3 as a SR after going 9-2-1 as a JR

Grant Gregory went 6-5 as a SR. (He missed the UCLA game which Carson Coffman started and took the L)

Webb never played as a SR. That would have been 2006 when Meier was a SR and Freeman took over halfway through and they also had Everidge. He transferred to Texas College, a NAIA school, for his SR year.

Meier was a senior in 2006 and really only played significant minutes in 5 games, where he went 3-2. Then Freeman took over that team.

Beasley still went 11-3 as a SR

Worst case it seems is .500. But who knows what happens with OOC games, bowl games, etc.
we all know/talked about Grant's toughness and ability to play injured. as I recall, he kind of had to as there wasn' much backing him up?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » July 23rd, 2020, 4:01 pm

KITNooga wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 3:49 pm
we all know/talked about Grant's toughness and ability to play injured. as I recall, he kind of had to as there wasn' much backing him up?
He had a JR Carson Coffman and FR Collin Klein (who was actually listed as a WR at the time) as his backups unless you also want to count Daniel Thomas who played QB in HS before his JUCO years. There was a reason why he was needed as a grad transfer for 1 year, because Prince didn't leave much in the cupboard behind Freeman.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » July 23rd, 2020, 4:30 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 4:01 pm
He had a JR Carson Coffman and FR Collin Klein (who was actually listed as a WR at the time) as his backups unless you also want to count Daniel Thomas who played QB in HS before his JUCO years. There was a reason why he was needed as a grad transfer for 1 year, because Prince didn't leave much in the cupboard behind Freeman.
as I recall, wins aside, there was a whole lot of appreciation for Grant and what he was able to do for the team that year.