here we go again ...

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
User avatar
stlcatfan
Posts: 3593
Joined: September 9th, 2017, 7:45 am
Has thanked: 1413 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: here we go again ...

Post by stlcatfan » August 2nd, 2021, 12:55 pm

DeereCatFan wrote:
August 2nd, 2021, 12:25 pm
That would probably be my order as well. BYU far and away my first choice. After that based on region I could go with taking Cinn before UCF. But a little indifferent on it. I'd rather not add another Texas team, but not completely closed to Houston.

I also liked the scenario if b1g poached the 4 Cali schools. Cal (berkley) and Stanford 2 of the most ultra-liberal - not a great fit for KSU. IMO. I am not sure on UCLA and USC, but can imagine anything in Cali is pretty far left. That being said I'd rather they'd hang on to Oregon and Washington. Don't really want all the top schools bailing. I just want KSU to land in a P5 conference.
Something I have wondered about (because I don't know if this is in our contract with Fox and ESPN), but do we need to have at least ten schools worth of content every season? In other words, what happens if UT and OU leave after the 2021-22 season and there are not two teams to backfill for the following season? BYU could come in pretty quickly and maybe another big independent like Army (a stretch, I know) could be convinced to join. It might take schools like Cincy and UCF a little longer to get out of the AAC, even if we paid their buyouts.

Regarding your second point, I agree. It seems like the schools rumored for the Big Ten are the most liberal and snooty ones. If 4-6 schools leave the Pac-12, the ones left behind would include the Land Grant schools, Utah, and one of the Arizona schools (not sure which one is the non-Land Grant). Don't know if CU would be in that group as they have been rumored to the Big Ten as well. Throw into that mix, 4-6 Big 12 schools and that conference looks much different.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
graygrantham

MGPcat
Posts: 193
Joined: July 5th, 2020, 11:58 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Post by MGPcat » August 2nd, 2021, 1:09 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
August 2nd, 2021, 12:55 pm
DeereCatFan wrote:
August 2nd, 2021, 12:25 pm
That would probably be my order as well. BYU far and away my first choice. After that based on region I could go with taking Cinn before UCF. But a little indifferent on it. I'd rather not add another Texas team, but not completely closed to Houston.

I also liked the scenario if b1g poached the 4 Cali schools. Cal (berkley) and Stanford 2 of the most ultra-liberal - not a great fit for KSU. IMO. I am not sure on UCLA and USC, but can imagine anything in Cali is pretty far left. That being said I'd rather they'd hang on to Oregon and Washington. Don't really want all the top schools bailing. I just want KSU to land in a P5 conference.
Something I have wondered about (because I don't know if this is in our contract with Fox and ESPN), but do we need to have at least ten schools worth of content every season? In other words, what happens if UT and OU leave after the 2021-22 season and there are not two teams to backfill for the following season? BYU could come in pretty quickly and maybe another big independent like Army (a stretch, I know) could be convinced to join. It might take schools like Cincy and UCF a little longer to get out of the AAC, even if we paid their buyouts.

Regarding your second point, I agree. It seems like the schools rumored for the Big Ten are the most liberal and snooty ones. If 4-6 schools leave the Pac-12, the ones left behind would include the Land Grant schools, Utah, and one of the Arizona schools (not sure which one is the non-Land Grant). Don't know if CU would be in that group as they have been rumored to the Big Ten as well. Throw into that mix, 4-6 Big 12 schools and that conference looks much different.
Apparently Arizona is the land grant school, but it’s also the AAU school. Living in the Phoenix area, I would say that ASU is the more popular school. Tucson is much more of a college town, and U of A is definitely more popular there. But Phoenix is probably five times the size of Tucson.
These users thanked the author MGPcat for the post:
stlcatfan

User avatar
gdgjr78
Posts: 6667
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 6:50 pm
Location: Ta Town
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 175 times

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » August 2nd, 2021, 3:00 pm

Apparently Clemson and Fsu have reached out to the SEC. At this point my interest in college football is in free fall and I was previously a die hard college football fan. #1 recruit in the nation for 2022 is skipping his senior year in HS to go make $ at Ohio St. Watching college football now will be like watching the NFL only the level of play will be much lower.
These users thanked the author gdgjr78 for the post (total 4):
stlcatfanWildcat7073Section 12-2catl
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

tmcats
Posts: 13330
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Has thanked: 720 times
Been thanked: 753 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 2nd, 2021, 3:30 pm

PFF College
@PFF_College
BREAKING: Clemson and Florida State have reached out to the SEC about joining the conference, per
@MarcRyanOnAir
"A tour of revenge." Noah Johnson

WildcatinSTL
Posts: 481
Joined: September 10th, 2013, 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 9 times

Post by WildcatinSTL » August 2nd, 2021, 3:55 pm

tmcats wrote:
August 2nd, 2021, 3:30 pm
PFF College
@PFF_College
BREAKING: Clemson and Florida State have reached out to the SEC about joining the conference, per
@MarcRyanOnAir
If this is true, then all eyes turn to south bend and in a hurry. ACC could pick up ND and WVU. The BIG may have to counter that with some heavy acquisitions. (no not you KU). This could be good for all. Big will need to find the biggest brand thats available that brings viewership (not you KU with your .3 rating) . Going west to pick up the California schools would be that splash. the PAC and BIG 12 then merge. 4 Conferences. Sadly, regionalism is gone with this scenario unless federal government steps in and dictates the restructuring. I still feel 4 Conferences with 2 division of 8 in each is best for all, big or small. dividing these into regions would be even better. Some of the self proclaimed elites will have to learn how to collaborate with those they feel are beneath them intellectually.
These users thanked the author WildcatinSTL for the post:
stlcatfan

tmcats
Posts: 13330
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Has thanked: 720 times
Been thanked: 753 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 2nd, 2021, 3:57 pm

Barrett Sallee
@BarrettSallee
·
33m
Clemson and Florida State did not reach out to the SEC. Twitter is not real life.
"A tour of revenge." Noah Johnson

NatCat2
Posts: 21
Joined: July 23rd, 2021, 10:37 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 12 times

Post by NatCat2 » August 2nd, 2021, 4:06 pm

All I've heard out of the ACC is Florida State and Clemson going somewhere like the SEC or even the Big10. Where's Miami? At one time probably the best team of an era. But now not so much and it's obviously reflected in getting NO attention. We need to become relevant again if we hope to get into a conference other than the BIG8/10/12.

User avatar
stlcatfan
Posts: 3593
Joined: September 9th, 2017, 7:45 am
Has thanked: 1413 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Post by stlcatfan » August 2nd, 2021, 4:24 pm

NatCat2 wrote:
August 2nd, 2021, 4:06 pm
All I've heard out of the ACC is Florida State and Clemson going somewhere like the SEC or even the Big10. Where's Miami? At one time probably the best team of an era. But now not so much and it's obviously reflected in getting NO attention. We need to become relevant again if we hope to get into a conference other than the BIG8/10/12.
I thought maybe the dust was going to settle for a little while, but it sounds like things might be moving again behind the scenes. There's a part of me that thinks the power brokers are trying to figure out a way to keep the Big 12 (8) from staying together for the next four years. Not just because of all the money that would be owed us, but also because it would mess up their ultimate plan of a 4x16 or 2x32 plus ND setup for the power conferences.

Carrots might be offered to some or all of the Big 12 schools to get them to jump to a power conference in order to crumble what is left of us. It would also weaken Bowlsby's position if he doesn't even have a conference left to fight for. Just spitballing here. Fox and the Big Ten are surely not just sitting on their hands right now.

rajstat
Posts: 148
Joined: July 22nd, 2021, 10:57 am
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Post by rajstat » August 2nd, 2021, 4:40 pm

BIG and FOX's best interest at the moment seems to be wait and watch in regards to BIG 12. But ACC is a different ballgame. However, it would not be easy to raid ACC as ESPN would probably employ similar tactics (they fully control ACC).

On the other hand, it has been already suggested that SEC and ACC simply swap Clemson/FSU with Kentucky/Vandy.

tmcats
Posts: 13330
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Has thanked: 720 times
Been thanked: 753 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 3rd, 2021, 9:51 am

you have a cold heart if this doesn't bring a smirk ...

https://www.facebook.com/MikeLeslieWFAA ... 86305/?t=1
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 5):
PurpleOnWhiteWildcat7073stlcatfanSection 12-2PurpleWildcat
"A tour of revenge." Noah Johnson

Post Reply